Trusted Contributor

Water-based foundation primer?

I don't really wear a foundation primer because I don't like them (my skin is slightly oily).

I have a bunch of different sample packets that have been sitting around, so I'm trying to go through them and use what interests me.  

Today I used Clinique's Superprimer Universal Face Primer.  And I liked it!  It's 29 dollars.  I don't like that.  Smiley Indifferent

I looked it up in Beautypedia and discovered one of the reasons I liked it...it's water-based, as opposed to silicone-based.  I do not like silicone-based products, whether it's a primer or a face serum.  I've had a hard time finding water-based face serums.  I used to really like Philosophy's When Hope Is Not Enough serum because it's water-based.

Anyway, getting back to the primer, does anyone know of other water-based primers that are similar to this Clinique Superprimer?  Clinique also makes color-correcting primers, but they are silicone-based.

I looked around Sephora, Ulta, and Clinique's websites and I was disappointed to see none of them sold a travel size of the primer.  I'm going to keep an eye out for that.

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Honored Contributor

Re: Water-based foundation primer?

@Stargazer77 wrote:

I don't really wear a foundation primer because I don't like them (my skin is slightly oily).

I have a bunch of different sample packets that have been sitting around, so I'm trying to go through them and use what interests me.  

Today I used Clinique's Superprimer Universal Face Primer.  And I liked it!  It's 29 dollars.  I don't like that.  Smiley Indifferent

I looked it up in Beautypedia and discovered one of the reasons I liked it...it's water-based, as opposed to silicone-based.  I do not like silicone-based products, whether it's a primer or a face serum.  I've had a hard time finding water-based face serums.  I used to really like Philosophy's When Hope Is Not Enough serum because it's water-based.

Anyway, getting back to the primer, does anyone know of other water-based primers that are similar to this Clinique Superprimer?  Clinique also makes color-correcting primers, but they are silicone-based.

I looked around Sephora, Ulta, and Clinique's websites and I was disappointed to see none of them sold a travel size of the primer.  I'm going to keep an eye out for that.

@Stargazer77  Hi. I think Smashbox makes a water based primer. I never use primer...maybe consider if you even need one. They make foundation stay on longer, but if you use a long wearing foundation, primer may not be necessary. If you skin feels somewhat smoothe and doesn’t need that extra step of ‘spackle’ before makeup, I’d skip it, especially in summer....another layer of anything on my face in hot weather is a NO. 

Honored Contributor

I'm currently trying the Smashbox Photo Finish Water Primer because I wanted something without a ton of silicones.  My feelings right now are "meh".  It does give some slight tackiness initially for makeup to grab onto, but I don't really feel like my makeup continues to look fresh and flawless all day.  My search continues.

Respected Contributor

@Stargazer77 Why do you feel that you need a primer?

I haven't found one that does anything for my combo skin. Unless it breaks it out. :{

But, if you do like the Clinique Primer maybe you can find it at the Cosmetics Compay Store, if you live near an outlet mall.

Or everyplace is doing sales, so you can probably get it for less.

Respected Contributor

My skin does not like silicone based primers and I do not like how they feel.

I use Mineral Veil by Hourglass and love it , I have extreme combo skin and I do not have the time for touch-ups so this primer has been a blessing to keeping my make-up fresh and in place for 10+ hour days.

Unfortunately the $$ of it is going to make you cry.  I only bear the price because it works.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't know for sure if it's water-based.... but since you said you have oily skin, I suggest Cover Girl's Primer for Combo Skin.  White tube, under $10.  CG also makes a primer for oily skin, but it is too drying.  The Combo Skin primer keeps my foundation fresh all day,  especially in the hot and humid days of summer.  Prevents "the greasies."

(if you only wear Sephora, Ulta, Clinique products, then ignore my suggestion)

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Trusted Contributor

@Dusty1  I thought about the outlet store, too.  I will check next time I'm there.  

Trusted Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl  I think I'll ask for a sample of the Hourglass primer next time I'm in Sephora.  Thanks.  Do you use the matte finish or the natural finish?

Trusted Contributor

@tototwo  I am not opposed to drugstore makeup!  Smiley Happy  Thanks for the suggestion.

Respected Contributor

@Stargazer77 wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl  I think I'll ask for a sample of the Hourglass primer next time I'm in Sephora.  Thanks.  Do you use the matte finish or the natural finish?

I use the Matte finish.  You can also buy the small travel size to try it out.