Respected Contributor

Re: Watching Shawn with MAC cosmetics

Back in the 70's, I did a slight " wing ".

Today it seems the more extreme or exaggerated anything, the better.  

When near some one who has wings taking flight, I just keep looking and trying to see the beauty of it. I notice others doing the same thing.  The winged person has got to be sensing that she is the object of stares, some surreptitious, others outright.

Same reaction to: false eyelashes that resemble millipedes and eyebrows so thick and uniform that they do,I ate the face.

My question: what kind of mirrors are they using ???

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@jlkz   Many women (some are clients) get stuck with  their makeup in a time in their lives when they were happy and stay there...wings, pale ghostly lipstick shades, heavy full coverage foundation, darker blush on the apples of the cheeks, too thick and dark liner....I could go on forever.

Trusted Contributor

No. The stark swipe of eyeliner (IMO) doesn't look good on anyone.  

Respected Contributor

@Shanus 

Do you get them to change after doing their " new " makeup approach ?  Do they see and appreciate the difference ?  Do they want to learn any of the techniques you used ?

Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

I wing it everyday but not on my eyelids - LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jlkz wrote:

@Shanus 

Do you get them to change after doing their " new " makeup approach ?  Do they see and appreciate the difference ?  Do they want to learn any of the techniques you used ?

@jlkz   For the younger women, it seems more difficult for them to accept change.I find it odd to pay for a lesson w/ new products, a different look that they requested and when they return in a year or more, they went back to the old look.

Older women are seeking a change for the better and usually appreciate their new look and stay with it. I always suggest they go through their makeup that seems out of "style" and toss it since it doesn't suit them at this age.

You'd think it's insulting, but remember they're coming in for a change and to learn how to update their makeup.

Respected Contributor

I do winged eyeliner. Sometimes a softer pencil, but I love Mac's liquid Brushstroke Eyeliner. They have brown & black. The brush is perfect. Thin & just glides the liner along the lashes. 

My eyes are a bit downturned at the outer corner, so I take my liner more straight out from the center of my eyelid (Instead of turning down) & then fill in below that. 

It's nice. It makes my eyes look lifted.

My favorite look is to use a color of soft pencil eyeliner (CT Pillow Talk descriped as a smokey berry brown is pretty.) & line my eyes & then do a very thin line of the liquid liner against the lashes. With a "winglet".

My eyes are too droopy to do a bigger wing.

I also like to use Mac Teddy Eye Kohl & line the upper, with my version of the wing, & the lower & bring it up to meet the liner on the upper lashes.

Those are 2 of my favorite looks. Makeup is fun!

Honored Contributor

I just can't watch SK at all doing the close ups ---first off, while I think her reader wardrobe is fun, some of those glasses are so distracting and not always flattering , thats all I see and her hair drives me nuts when she is always pushing it off her face--no I don't wing my eyeliner--never have, but I think it can look good. 

Honored Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

Back in the 70's, I did a slight " wing ".

Today it seems the more extreme or exaggerated anything, the better.  

When near some one who has wings taking flight, I just keep looking and trying to see the beauty of it. I notice others doing the same thing.  The winged person has got to be sensing that she is the object of stares, some surreptitious, others outright.

Same reaction to: false eyelashes that resemble millipedes and eyebrows so thick and uniform that they do,I ate the face.

My question: what kind of mirrors are they using ???

@jlkz I was about to say what you said. Now I seldom line my eyes, and have never worn liner on the bottom--just not a look I like either.  Makes me think of "Walk Like An Egyptian" which shows how old I am!  Woman Very Happy

How old am I?  VERY!  Woman Wink

Respected Contributor

@Shanus 

I totally understand.  

It is consistent with my findings during my third and last career as a consultant to companies downsizing, merging, etc.  I led seminars and coached folks as they were about to embark on career changes / job searches / education options, etc.  Change was extremely difficult for most folks.  Depending on the length of the corporate contract, I was able to support most folks make the painful transition.

Folks who jumped in early had great results.  Others had difficulty hiding job loss from their families !  An exhausting time period for them and for me !  

Change happens when the pain of staying the same becomes greater than the pain of change.

Sir Winston Churchill