Honored Contributor

Re: Washing off physical sunscreen without oil

[ Edited ]

@Funloving I have ordered from that Ariva site before probably about ~5 years ago. It was fine, no issues. It is a legit site. Smiley Happy  I honestly forgot all about that site even though I still occasionally get a flyer in the mail from them.

Respected Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Funloving I have ordered from that Ariva site before probably about ~5 years ago. It was fine, no issues. It is a legit site. Smiley Happy  I honestly forgot all about that site even though I still occasionally get a flyer in the mail from them.

@HappyDaze

WONDERFUL!   You seriously made my night!   

xoxo 

Respected Contributor

@winamac1 wrote:

I never just use soap and water.  One needs a makeup remover before washing/cleansing one's face. I use Clinique foaming facial cleanser--the pink one in the tube.  The Clinique cleansing oil gets rave reviews too, and it contains no fragrance which can be an irritant.

Then, I use PTR cucumber foaming wash afterwards.  I wish he made a makeup remover.

Hey@winamac1 ....

Sorry I missed this.  PTR does make another cleanser but it may be classified more as a wash like your cucumber foaming version versus what you mean by a makeup remover.   It's called Clinical Skin Care Anti-Aging Cleansing Gel in a clear bottle..w/ an orange colored gel cleanser.  It smells slightly like baby oil.  The bottle says oil free, anti-wrinkle, clarifies, brightens with glycolic acid, salicylic acid and fruit extracts for all skin types.

I use mine for travel since I have a 3.3 oz plastic bottle.   I like it.

I look at it as pre-cleansing.  That's where my exfoliating wet cleanser towelettes and the first round of makeup remover comes in.  The towelettes are perfect for really getting in there and removing all eye makeup after the oil sets for about 30- 60 seconds.  Plus it saves my wash cloths from all the dark eye goop.

I put witch hazel on some cotton pads,then wipe my face avoiding my eye. Then wash with good old soap and water. Moisturize after. Works great.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Violet Fields wrote:

I'm looking for a cleanser that will wash zinc oxide sunscreens off my face. I've been using COTZ and Dr. Dennis Gross spray sunscreen and am finding they are both impossible to clean off entirely. Oil cleansers don't seem to work very well for me because they dry out my face, for some reason. Also, the warm washcloth to remove the oil irritates my sensitive and dry rosacea skin. Some people seem to like Clinique's Take the Day Off Cleansing Balm. Has anyone used that? What do you all use to remove stubborn sunscreen?

Thanks in advance!

With all due respect @Violet Fields, while I know we veered OT quite a bit, like the evolution of many threads, I hope you find a non-irritating solution tailored for your sensitive skin-type.

Clinique seems to cater to sensitive skin with fragrance free gentle formulas.  As a first step I'd hit the counter to snag samples of  Clinique's Cleansing Balm & other product sample suggestions to test drive.

Good luck!  

Honored Contributor

@Funloving

You can call me anything you want, just don't call me late for dinner (oy, what an old line). And I'm not fussy about spelling either. Heart

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Funloving wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

I never just use soap and water.  One needs a makeup remover before washing/cleansing one's face. I use Clinique foaming facial cleanser--the pink one in the tube.  The Clinique cleansing oil gets rave reviews too, and it contains no fragrance which can be an irritant.

Then, I use PTR cucumber foaming wash afterwards.  I wish he made a makeup remover.

Hey@winamac1 ....

Sorry I missed this.  PTR does make another cleanser but it may be classified more as a wash like your cucumber foaming version versus what you mean by a makeup remover.   It's called Clinical Skin Care Anti-Aging Cleansing Gel in a clear bottle..w/ an orange colored gel cleanser.  It smells slightly like baby oil.  The bottle says oil free, anti-wrinkle, clarifies, brightens with glycolic acid, salicylic acid and fruit extracts for all skin types.

I use mine for travel since I have a 3.3 oz plastic bottle.   I like it.

I look at it as pre-cleansing.  That's where my exfoliating wet cleanser towelettes and the first round of makeup remover comes in.  The towelettes are perfect for really getting in there and removing all eye makeup after the oil sets for about 30- 60 seconds.  Plus it saves my wash cloths from all the dark eye goop.

Hi funloving. I have that PTR cleanser and I like it.  I don't think it removes foundation though.  I have to use a makeup remover before I use this orange cleanser or his cucumber foaming cleanser.  Have you tried that one? It's my new favorite!

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Funloving

You can call me anything you want, just don't call me late for dinner (oy, what an old line). And I'm not fussy about spelling either. Heart

@suzyQ3

@It kind of defeats the purpose of the forum feature when I type in @thewrongname...  ha ha.

My worn out line is "you can call me anything you want... just call me."

Actually it's good to know you're not fussy about spelling.  Some people are persnickety in this regard.  My business involves a lot of writing which is a totally different ballgame. 

I think cyber has made us more lax with proper spelling and grammar.  But I'll take your permanent hall pass.  God knows I need it.

Heart

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use the Fallene COTZ 58 and use a two step process.  I use a creamy but water soluble cleanser (like Cereve's Creamy lotion cleanser) and then rinse that off with water, and use a wet microfiber cloth to gently wipe my face.  Then I use a foaming cleanser. (like Alpha Hydrox foaming cleanser or Cereve's foaming cleanser.)  Its hard to find a good simple water soluble creamy cleanser, but I think Neutrogena used to make one too. (I prefer all my products to be fragrance free, color free, etc.)

I should note that since my twenties, I have ALWAYS used two cleansers, like the types above: a water soluble creamy make-up removing one, and then a gentle foaming, even before the Fallene COTZ or other makeups.  This was started when I first used a line from Canada (at that time,) called "Biogime" and they had a two step cleansing process. It kept away most acne, but was hands down the only way to prevent my cystic breakouts. And to this day it still is! I have tested this on and off for decades and hands down, the two step cleansing process works best for me. (I loved that Biogime line and used it for almost 10 years! The owners have changed hands a number of times. You can still find it, and the ingredients are pretty much the same.)

I often (about every other day,) use a glycolic peel (like Alpha Hydrox 14% wipes, or any 10% liquid solution that I like,) to keep my skin 'fresh.'  

Added note: Before I found my stash of microfiber clothes (which are designed for makeup removal, and purchased at the Q a couple years ago, they are blue,) I would use a normal white cotton wash cloth for that step of the process, but I would USE IT LIGHTLY. LIGHTLY. Don't just scrub across your face hard.  My skin is pretty sensitive with a low-scale rosacea (or 'pre-rosacea' as my derm calls it,) so any scrubbing or harsh rubbing on my face will upset it and cause it to flare, redden, and become even more sensitive.

Respected Contributor

@winamac1 wrote:
Hi funloving. I have that PTR cleanser and I like it.  I don't think it removes foundation though.  I have to use a makeup remover before I use this orange cleanser or his cucumber foaming cleanser.  Have you tried that one? It's my new favorite!

@winamac1

Hey Win...

I haven't tried the cucumber foaming cleanser yet.  If it's as good as the anti-aging cleansing gel I'll have to pick up a travel sized bottle.  I have about a 3rd of this bottle left which stays in my travel case.   For 3.3 oz this has lasted a long time & I travel quite a bit.

I've been using 100% Pure jasmine green tea tonique (100% natural & vegan) as a final step to assure there's no trace of makeup after cleansing.  I also use it with my LightStim--  although I'm sure there's stronger green tea products to help boost the effects of the LightStim.