Esteemed Contributor

Re: Washing off physical sunscreen without oil

Please reference what brand you use before you remove it.  They are all different.  Thanks.  I am having the same problem with COTZ.

Contributor

I've had similar problems, this system has been working well for me for a few months: In a.m., I wash my face, generally using Isomer's "All in One Total Daily Cleanser" which contains "beads" which gently exfoliate my face. Then I use serums for my eyes,  2 serums for my face, which I rotate between serums---only use two at a time. I also use "Wrinkle Viper" where it isi needed.

Then I use rotatitng creams (1 or 2 at a time), a neck cream, and add a tiny tiny amount of 100 per cent pure emu oil to both face and neck creams. I then use sunscreen 15 minutes before I plan to go out into the sun. Since we need to use between 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of sunscreen on face and neck---according to which dermatologist/cosmotologist you consult, it takes at least 10 minutes for the sunscreen to be absorbed from my white sunscreen covered face

Also, sunscreen needs to be re-applied every 2 hours..

I then use mineral makeup---the purest I can find with the fewest ingredients---several online MMU's are available where you can buy the ingredients and colors to get your best face color match, and using the ingredients best for you.

For instance, the base white could be an oil absorbing one if you need that, which I do. I then use various colors to get what I want my face to look like----perhaps a bit darker in the summer, etc.

At night, depending on how often I have re-applied sunscreen, it can be difficult to remove everything.

I first begin with a non-alcohol witch hazel---one with rose petals, another with aloe vera, there are other choices as well. This is a great toner--not  harsh, does not strip skin at all, just gentle cleansing of all that sunscreen oil on face and neck. I do this with cotton pads until no foundation color comes off on the pad, then until my face/neck feel clean.

I do my final wash again with Isomers cleanser mentioned above with the milldly gritty beads and gently scrub my face.

Before rinsing, I then use my sonic cleaning tool of the moment--they do not last forever, and I often try new ones---using the most gentle brush or a silicone pad--the most gentle "scrubber" of all to use. I first wet the topper I have put on my sonic tool, then add some Isomers "Foaming Facial Cleanser", or Cetaphil" cleanser--usually the one for normal to oily skin.

With that on the brush/silicone topper, I  use gentle circular movements over the first facial cleanser; rinse thoroughly, then pat dry.

Next, Dr. Denese's "Facial Firming Pads", let that dry, follow with my cocktail of rotating serums, with special ones for my eyes. Next step is  Dr. Denese's "Med MD 33 Clinical Reserve Creme" for the face, then the "Med MD 33 Clinical Neck Treatment".

My skin feels clean and soft after this routine. I know we are all different, but hope this can be of some use to others who may be able to adapt some of the way I use these products to best suit their own skin.

Good luck, it takes quite a bit of trial and error to find the right products and then the right routine to suit your skin.

Respected Contributor

@Violet Fields wrote:

Thanks, HappyDaze. I know it's not all coming off because I can see a white film on areas of my cheeks and can feel the sunscreen balling up. It really is the dickens to get off!

The oils I've tried cleansing with are just straight jojoba oil or olive oil, but I get what you're saying about oils with other ingredients in them. After first either wiping my face off with makeup wipes or cleansing with oil, them I rinse my face with Trader Joe's aloe vera which does have other ingredients in it. I'll have to check and see what's in there for sure.

@Violet Fields I was just reading some posts on Beauty Brains regarding this.  The ol' "like dissolves like" rule of thumb was the conclusion.  Sunscreens are designed to be waterproof.  Some are tougher than others to remove.  But, straight jojoba or olive is probably not going to do the trick.  There are two (and I mean only two after trying many) that work well for me.  One is Boscia in the light green bottle.  There are no drying alcohols or linalool.  It goes on oily but turns milky and rinses clean due to the addition of a solubilizer.  

@The other is by One Love Organics that @HappyDaze recommended some time ago.  It also works well with the addition of a solubilizer.  I don't see any drying ingredients listed in it either.  The solubilizer they use is Di-ppg-2myreth-10 Adipate.  I mention this because when I looked it up some crazy site made completely inaccurate claims about the ingredient.  It is completely safe.  Even the very dubious source of info, EWG, rates it as completely safe.  

Side note- I'm really glad I looked up that ingredient!  I had no idea one of the suppliers I like carries it.  Time to try to whip up my own.  

Regular Contributor

@Bella Carro wrote:

@Violet Fields wrote:

Thanks, HappyDaze. I know it's not all coming off because I can see a white film on areas of my cheeks and can feel the sunscreen balling up. It really is the dickens to get off!

The oils I've tried cleansing with are just straight jojoba oil or olive oil, but I get what you're saying about oils with other ingredients in them. After first either wiping my face off with makeup wipes or cleansing with oil, them I rinse my face with Trader Joe's aloe vera which does have other ingredients in it. I'll have to check and see what's in there for sure.

@Violet Fields I was just reading some posts on Beauty Brains regarding this.  The ol' "like dissolves like" rule of thumb was the conclusion.  Sunscreens are designed to be waterproof.  Some are tougher than others to remove.  But, straight jojoba or olive is probably not going to do the trick.  There are two (and I mean only two after trying many) that work well for me.  One is Boscia in the light green bottle.  There are no drying alcohols or linalool.  It goes on oily but turns milky and rinses clean due to the addition of a solubilizer.  

@The other is by One Love Organics that @HappyDaze recommended some time ago.  It also works well with the addition of a solubilizer.  I don't see any drying ingredients listed in it either.  The solubilizer they use is Di-ppg-2myreth-10 Adipate.  I mention this because when I looked it up some crazy site made completely inaccurate claims about the ingredient.  It is completely safe.  Even the very dubious source of info, EWG, rates it as completely safe.  

Side note- I'm really glad I looked up that ingredient!  I had no idea one of the suppliers I like carries it.  Time to try to whip up my own.  

Thanks for researching it! I remember HappyDaze's recommendation of One Love Organics and I think I even bookmarked it a while ago. I'll look that up again and also the one by Boscia. Thanks for your help!

Regular Contributor

Thanks for much for all of your help! Hippogleam, I appreciate your detailed response! I have lots of homework to do now checking into what you all have recommended. This is the fun kind of homework! 

Regular Contributor

@Violet Fields wrote:

Thanks for much for all of your help! Hippogleam, I appreciate your detailed response! I have lots of homework to do now checking into what you all have recommended. This is the fun kind of homework! 

Oops typo! I meant thanks so much.

Respected Contributor

@Violet Fields wrote:

Thanks for researching it! I remember HappyDaze's recommendation of One Love Organics and I think I even bookmarked it a while ago. I'll look that up again and also the one by Boscia. Thanks for your help!

Boscia has 25% off extended Labor Day sale, too.  But, today is probably the last day.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the mention, @Bella Carro but I do want to add in a disclaimer about the One Love Organics cleansing oil- I have NOT tried the new version they reformulated recently but I am hearing it isn't nearly as good as the original that I recommended in the past. So I can NOT vouch for this new formula.

I have 2 more backups of the original so it will be quite awhile before I can try the new one but, as I said, I don't think it is getting the praises the original was. Sadly. Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Regarding One Love Organics: I messaged with the owner, Suzanne LeRoux, about the reformulation. She said that very little changed, only that it foamed (for lack of a better word) or maybe was a bit more luxurious, she said. I do have a bottle of the new but haven't opened it yet. I doubt that I will have any problem with it.

Regardless, her customers seem to prefer the older one. So she is going to offer the old formula very soon. Right now on her site, the item is not available, probably because they are working on getting the old formula in production.

I love this cleansing oil, and I'm also liking their Skin Savior balm.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

i use numerous products to cleanse my face, but i do love the olay facial wipes.  i also have ponds clarant b3 cleanser and i like that along with clinique foaming facial wash..