Honored Contributor

Re: Was told today I have rosacea; I thought I had elder acne.

All good points mentioned. Certain foods or drink could aggravate rosacea such as spicy foods or drinking alcohol. Keep that in mind as well.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

Follow your doctor's instructions.  Cosmetic/skin  products can contain ingredients that cause more skin reactions.  And the ingredients in them can interact with meds or other products.

At some point,  when you have this under control,  you might ask the doctor about goats milk based skin products.  Many people say that the better ones are much less irritating to their skin because of the petrochemicals and other things that are left out.  I've been using the Beekman 1802 goats milk soap, etc. (now on HSN) and like their products.  The story they tell about how skin care products are made and the problems with the ingredients used in many brands is very interesting.

There will be Beekman 1802 shows on HSN this Thursday if you are curious.

Good luck in dealing with the problem.

Honored Contributor

Most dermatologists prefer you to use simple products you can buy at the drug store as much as possible. Things like Eucerin with SPF for instance. You don't need to use expensive products to moisturize.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Most dermatologists prefer you to use simple products you can buy at the drug store as much as possible. Things like Eucerin with SPF for instance. You don't need to use expensive products to moisturize.

Agree @151949.  Cerave or Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser.

Honored Contributor

Please follow your doctor's advice.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

@pdxlalesley wrote:

Saw my PCP for annual physical and requested referral to a derm, hoping I could get Retin-A for what I believed was acne.  She said Oh you have rosacea, and need 6 weeks of antibiotics and a special rx cream.

I posted in Beauty because I have a boatload of Active Argan and Skinn Products coming and my doc says I also need to moisturize daily no matter what, for the rest of my life, that dry itchy skin if not cared for properly can result in infections and all kinds of nasty stuff.

She said to use Eucerin, Cetaphil, etc., but I have all these products coming.  So I am asking if anyone else with roseacea was prescribed similarly, did it help, and are you able to use other moisturizers successfully without exacerbating your condition, like AA, Isomers and Skinn's? 

If you are home & can refuse delivery you won't have to pay for return shipping.

Honored Contributor

That would really suck to find out my doctor didn't want me to use my antiaging potions due to a skin condition. Woman Indifferent

I'd say start out with what she prescribed and recommended, to the letter. Using a gentle cleanser and maintaining your skin barrier/acid mantle and microflora are so important. Also protect yourself well from sun and wind.

Then look through your antiaging stash to see if you have anything designed to be healing and calming. This means no harsh acids, no retinols, no exfoliating grains. But nourishing oils might be okay, buffered antioxidants, possibly niacinamide. Ask your derm if the product is okay before trying it.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Super Contributor

Thank you all so much for great info, and suggestions, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.

I will follow my Dr.'s instructions to the letter and we do have a follow-up in 3 weeks.  I decided to keep any items I receive that are moisturizing for body skin, and send back anything for face only.

I think if at our follow-up things haven't resolved or begun to, I will press for a referral to a derm.  My Dr. wanted me to try these things she prescribed first.

Again, thanks so much.

Honored Contributor

@pdxlalesley wrote:

Thank you all so much for great info, and suggestions, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.

I will follow my Dr.'s instructions to the letter and we do have a follow-up in 3 weeks.  I decided to keep any items I receive that are moisturizing for body skin, and send back anything for face only.

I think if at our follow-up things haven't resolved or begun to, I will press for a referral to a derm.  My Dr. wanted me to try these things she prescribed first.

Again, thanks so much.

Sounds like a sound plan, @pdxlalesley :-)

I didn't read carefully enough and thought that you saw a derm. But my advice wouldn't have changed.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Regular Contributor

When we moved from California to northern Louisiana I was diagnosed with rosacea. Very mild and he gave me this cream rx to put on. No antibiotics. Then when we moved to Nevada I went to the derm for a different issue. I thought I might as well ask if I really had rosacea. It isn’t red all the time, and just around the upper hairline and the sides of my nose. He told me I did indeed have it, he prescribed antibiotics for 6 weeks, and a different cream called soolantra. It almost is gone, but sometimes flares up because of the extreme heat and cold here. But the soolantra does work and the redness goes away. The rx cream was not covered by my insurance and the derm gave me a coupon for $75. I also have some SKINN products, the am cleanser, which has citrus in it, I cannot use. The pm cleanser is fine. Dermapeel is also ok, as long as I don’t let it sit on face too long and be careful around the area where the rosacea is. Derm told me to use gentle cerave line. I also use tretenoin which is fine too. I have eczema around my finger tips, and he said to use cerave as well. But I’d definitely would do what the doc recommends and take the antibiotics. I don’t know how severe your rosacea is, but I’d definately ask about that cream I have and see what he says if nothing else helps.