Super Contributor

Was told today I have rosacea; I thought I had elder acne.

Saw my PCP for annual physical and requested referral to a derm, hoping I could get Retin-A for what I believed was acne.  She said Oh you have rosacea, and need 6 weeks of antibiotics and a special rx cream.

I posted in Beauty because I have a boatload of Active Argan and Skinn Products coming and my doc says I also need to moisturize daily no matter what, for the rest of my life, that dry itchy skin if not cared for properly can result in infections and all kinds of nasty stuff.

She said to use Eucerin, Cetaphil, etc., but I have all these products coming.  So I am asking if anyone else with roseacea was prescribed similarly, did it help, and are you able to use other moisturizers successfully without exacerbating your condition, like AA, Isomers and Skinn's? 

Respected Contributor

Re: Was told today I have rosacea; I thought I had elder acne.

[ Edited ]

@pdxlalesley wrote:

Saw my PCP for annual physical and requested referral to a derm, hoping I could get Retin-A for what I believed was acne.  She said Oh you have rosacea, and need 6 weeks of antibiotics and a special rx cream.

I posted in Beauty because I have a boatload of Active Argan and Skinn Products coming and my doc says I also need to moisturize daily no matter what, for the rest of my life, that dry itchy skin if not cared for properly can result in infections and all kinds of nasty stuff.

She said to use Eucerin, Cetaphil, etc., but I have all these products coming.  So I am asking if anyone else with roseacea was prescribed similarly, did it help, and are you able to use other moisturizers successfully without exacerbating your condition, like AA, Isomers and Skinn's? 

I have a mild case and have never taken anything for it. I do however use mositurizers that are not perfume scented. I do use Argan oil and I just put a couple drops of it with my moisturizers. I have never had mine blow up or get worse. I just have the redness and nothing else.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I will not take antibiotics, especially for a diagnosis that is not life threatening...but I think this is a personal decision that only you can make.  Best wishes for a healthy resolution.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pdxlalesleyHave a good friend with rosacea. She fought it for years, but worked in an assembly plant which contributed to the problem.

I'd pay attention to your physician. Return the stuff that's coming . . . it's not what you need. Buy the Eucerin, Cetaphil (both of those are highly recommended by Dermatologists) and whatever else (facial cleanser?) was recommended, and use the RX cream she has prescribed. Sounds like a severe case to be on an antibiotic for four weeks; she's starting with the root of the problem to eliminate any infection under the rosacea. I assume you have a return visit in another month or six weeks? Your skin should be noticably improved. 

Then, continue with the RX cream, moisurizer, keep your pillow & case, hands and skin clean. Eat healthy. If you have questions about the products you've ordered, call your physician and ask! Have a feeling they contain too many chemicals. Best wishes. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady   Excellent advice.  @pdxlalesley   Take what the dr. gave you and don't compare because everyone's rosacea is different.  Sounds like your dr. is getting a good hold of your condition.  Cat Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Welcome to my world!  It's not what I wanted to hear either but you just have to accept it and do what is best for you skin.  In order words, don't fight it!  The doctor sounds like he is trying to get your skin under control because it could get much worse.  As others have said, all cases are different.  Some are mild and could stay that way,  Others are much worse and can progress.  Sometimes it flares up until you just want to scream and hide your face!  I don't use any products on my face with fragrance, no Retin-A, no scrubs, etc.  Doctor told me --- no, forget it.  The more gently you treat your skin and the more you protect it, the better.  Best wishes!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I’d return all that stuff if I were you and follow doctor’s orders.
Esteemed Contributor

If it was me (and it was me 25 years ago), I'd go see a dermatologist to confirm the diagnosis and take the derm's advice.  I had 2 little biopsies on my cheeks where the redness occurred.   I've never been prescribed an antibiotic for my rosacea.  Just use gentle products and don't eat spicey food.  It's was a lot of trial and error over the years to find what works and what doesn't for me.  And I'm happy to report that as I've gotten older, my rosacea has diminished.    Good luck!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Valued Contributor

Hi @pdxlalesley.  I was just diagnosed about 7 weeks ago with Rosacea.  Just like you, looked like acne.  A little background, I already battle acne and have done so since I was a teen so I was already using Retin-A.  I was prescribed Soolantra for the Rosacea and that wasn't working as good as it should so I am now on an antibiotic as well.  I would listen to your doctor's instructions.  I am now only using CeraVe to cleanse my face and just the things prescribed to me to try to control my acne and Rosacea.  Clear, healthy skin is more important to me than any beauty products.

Frequent Contributor

Follow your doctor's orders!  My doctor told me the more times you touch your face, the more products you put on, the worse the rosacea gets.  He told me to use CeraVe moisturizer, the PM one for day and night.  The PM formula doesn't contain saliylic acid with can aggreviate rosacea. CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser or Dove soap, the white unscented bar.  Along with a cream he prescribed, my skin has never been better.  He told me to keep it simple....