Respected Contributor

Re: Was Nick Chavez's line ever as popular as WEN?

On 5/23/2014 newziesuzie said:
On 5/23/2014 VCamp2748 said:

My point was primarily to point out that not all QVC shoppers take the time & effort to search the site for all the hair care products offered. So the occasional comment about wishing Q offered more hair care (or whatever) products is really saying they wish Q would present a greater variety on air.

Yes that's what I meant in my comment. The benefit on the Q is seeing up to date presentations. Otherwise I can shop other sites like Amazon for example and often pay less for the same thing.Smiley Happy

I comparison shop at Amazon quite a bit myself

Respected Contributor

Nick was super popular. No boards or online ordering. Things would sell out during item previews. He has great products. If all things were equal, I believe Nick would still beat out Chaz. He has a far better personality and his shows were so much fun.

Trusted Contributor

I would say that in his early years, Nick was every bit as popular as Wen and maybe even more so as his products had a wider range. It was not uncommon to see constant sell outs back then. And there were no BB or reviews back then so it was purely the appeal of Nick and his products that prompted the sales, not hearing other customers rave about them.

Nick was also on frequently through the entire year - Nick has made some serious buckeroos here thru-out the years and QVC did as well having him as their first true celebrity hair stylist. Actually, I don't think Chaz had the celebrity clientele that Nick had before even being on QVC - Wen itself brought certain celebs to Chaz while Nick had many of them already as clients before ever appearing on QVC.

They way over-do the Wen months, imo anyway, and usually by about mid- month, the threads start to reflect that. It becomes too much~

Valued Contributor

FYI. Just curious I looked back at an old post of mine from March (which was the last TSV Wen had), to see just how much of the Bamboo Green Tea cleanser TSV sold. In just thirty minutes he sold out for the day which was a staggering 25,000 units. He went on to sale out of all the core cleansers in the TSV and had an OTO that sold faster than the BGT. I was one of the lucky ones who was able to buy BGT before it sold out but alas to slow for the OTO.

Respected Contributor

I assume you are talking about being popular on QVC. Nick definitely was on much more, and his line is so good he still has a loyal following. I still use several of his products, but I find better deals elsewhere. Probably why the Q doesn't have him on much. They can't compete.

Honored Contributor

I never used either product, I've been with Q almost from the beginning. Chavez was a big deal on the Q long ago. I think WEN eclipsed him because WEN was a totally new concept and WEN was also showing infomercials 24/7 on all the cable stations. It attracted customers and built a WEN cult who will pay any amount for any WEN product. Chavez couldn't compete, he didn't have that type of customer base.

Occasional Contributor

I used to use Nick's products and loved them. Like another poster mentioned, I also still have a brush from one of his sets that I use every day and it has to be at least 15 years old. I even went to his salon for a haircut while on a business trip in CA many years ago. It was a blast and he was so gracious and proud of his QVC customers. The actress, Michelle Stafford, from Y&R was at the salon getting her hair done while I was there.

In the early years, Nick's shows were popular and there were always discussions of him and his products in the early years of these boards.

I'm not a Wen fan. Have tried it and didn't care for it. Nowadays I pretty much stick to drugstore brands. Find they work just as well as the premium, over priced brands and I save a lot of money!

Respected Contributor

I never tried nick chevez. does sephora or ulta sell it? I am tired of buying online. Much more fun to go to a store.

I am so tired of wen. Like a fool i still buy the stuff from time to time and always disappointed. I get curious on a new seasonal and buy it for the smell. lol

Valued Contributor

Smile

I would like to add that during Nick's early days at the Q, he had some great kits for colored treated hair and clarifying shampoo. He had products to prolong your color. He seems to sell a lot internationally at the Q now. He would have two hour shows. I still use his hairsprays and my husband uses his shampoos. I do miss those kits. Erica Lucci's shampoo sets were also great, then she left. I suppose Wen makes big $$$ for the Q. They certainly promote him. Some of his models use to be Nick's models.

Smashbox also used to be very big at QVC. They have all but disappeared now.

Honored Contributor

I heard of Nick Chavez, long before I heard of Wen. His products were promoted and featured here, a lot, at one time.

I think some were popular with others, but not me (Flocker). I bought others that I liked and would like to buy again. I know I can get them elsewhere, but when they were promoted on QVC, like Wen is now, I was reminded that these are things I want to buy.

I still have a scant amount of the thickening creme left, and a good sized can of hairspray. I have no shampoos or conditioners left. Another one of his products that I like, is the Amazon Infinity Mist.

I think it's time for a good TSV that features Nick Chavez shampoos/styling products!