Esteemed Contributor

Re: Walgreens to Shut Down Drugstore.com and Beauty.com

I've been a longtime customer of the website too. I am not happy about this news. I have several items on automatic reorder. I wonder what will happen. I do not expect a particularly smooth transition. I do expect that many beauty products will no longer be available on the site. 

Honored Contributor

Does anyone have suggestions for similar places on line once drugstore.com closes down?  I always found things there that I needed and used that I was having trouble finding locally.  It was such a great resource -- they have/had so much and they were quick and reliable.  I will miss them greatly.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

Does anyone have suggestions for similar places on line once drugstore.com closes down?  I always found things there that I needed and used that I was having trouble finding locally.  It was such a great resource -- they have/had so much and they were quick and reliable.  I will miss them greatly.

Here's my suggestion: I went through my drugstore.com "list," and then googled to find where else I can purchase the key items I had liked buying from them. I found that I could get similar prices for them on amazon, sometimes walgreen or walmart, and also target. I should have also checked jet.com.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I'm really sad about this news. I probably shopped at these two sites about 4 or 5 times a year. Like others have said, they have brands that are difficult to find elsewhere. Their prices were pretty competitive and their shiiping was fast. They also offered their 20% off Family and Friends discount at Beauty.com fairly often.

Today I received an email for 20% off all beauty at Drugstore.com. I plan on stocking up on a few favorites. Maybe in the coming weeks, they'll offer a similar deal at Beauty.com.

I'm hoping that Walgreen's will pick up some of Drugstore.com's/Beauty.com's brands that are not offered on their own website.

Esteemed Contributor

In Chicago Walgreens is the name synonymous with drugstores. CVS only came into this market about ten years ago and it's a weak second here.  Downtown, Walgreens stores are literally spaced about every 2-to-3 blocks apart.  Unlike many other businesses they are willing to operate stores in low income neighborhoods which is a big deal to neighborhoods with stretches of nothing on their retail streets.  Walgreens has been Walgreens-Boots for a couple of years.  It always seem probable to me that they would eventually evolve Drugstore and Beauty.com into their namesake website, thus creating a mega online store for those types of products.

There are a few Walgreens stores here which already carry prestige brand cosmetics in their Look Boutiques, so they are not adverse to carrying luxury brands on their stores shelves and website. Who knows, perhaps many of the Beauty.com brands may land on the Walgreens website if they feel it is a viable coarse of action.  With so much competition in beauty, they very well may opt to only expand their offerings of Drugstore.com type products, and say bye-bye to everythng offered on the Beauty.com site.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

Here's my suggestion: I went through my drugstore.com "list," and then googled to find where else I can purchase the key items I had liked buying from them. I found that I could get similar prices for them on amazon, sometimes walgreen or walmart, and also target. I should have also checked jet.com.

@suzyQ3

Thanks!  I never heard of jet.com

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh no!!  Drugstore.com is the only place I've been able to find my favorite hand lotion, Glysomed (Unscented).  I just ordered some last month, but after reading this thread, I just placed an order for 6 more.  And for some hard to find shaving cream that my brother in law uses.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

Oh no!!  Drugstore.com is the only place I've been able to find my favorite hand lotion, Glysomed (Unscented).  I just ordered some last month, but after reading this thread, I just placed an order for 6 more.  And for some hard to find shaving cream that my brother in law uses.

I used that brand too.  I know I've seen it in stores though...I'll keep my eyes peeled and let you know if I find it in a store. 

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@gidgetgh,

Sears dot com has Glysomed.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@suzyQ3

Thanks!  I never heard of jet.com

@AngelPuppy1, I haven't ordered yet from them, but they do carry a wide variety of products. I did talk to their CS once and was impressed, but I know nothing else about them in terms of shipping, refunds, etc.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland