Trusted Contributor

Re: Waiting for the Pendulum to Swing to Cool Eyeshadow Shades

I definitely prefer cool tones eyeshadows, not  fan of warm. I might mix warm and cool once in a while but prefer the cool tones and wish they would come back. All the new palettes seem to be all warm tone colors. 

Valued Contributor

Let me join the cool brigade. Taupe and browns just don't do a thing for my green/blue eyes. And please no glitter to mess with my contacts.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ElvisShops wrote:

I am still waiting for the pendulum to swing away from those hideous matte lipsticks and  even more hideous skinny jeans. I've never seen anyone of any description look good in either, not even models. 

@ElvisShops   I completely agree with the matte lipstick thing, but I look kinda spiffy in my skinny jeans. The right top/shoes/attitude (and being thin) are essential....or at least wearing the correct size for your shape. 

Honored Contributor

@LuvmyLab wrote:

I definitely prefer cool tones eyeshadows, not  fan of warm. I might mix warm and cool once in a while but prefer the cool tones and wish they would come back. All the new palettes seem to be all warm tone colors. 

@LuvmyLab  Many times palettes are a mixture of both tones. I hit the pan on cool ones and the warmer ones are rarely worn. That’s a waste of money. I pass on a lot of palettes and purchase singles. 

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

Still waiting for shades of gray.  You rarely see gray in any palettes.  It's all brown.  Sure, brown can be cool, but I'd rather have all tones of gray.

@GingerPeach  I know the subject is dead and buried, but Bobbi Brown had the right idea. You chose your individual shadows and a 6 pan palette that you popped them into. At one time, I had (personally) 8 filled palettes with either 6 shadows or with a few blushes in them (collected over 25 years). They also were purchased that way.

Laura Mercier did have the same system, but I haven’t checked lately if discontinued. BB is discontinuing single shadows and empty palettes (on the 25% off page online). It’s an expensive way to go, but you get only the shades you want. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

For an almost all cool & matte palette, look at the IT Romantics palette (online here)...the 2nd palette they did. It has a larger pan of shimmer to add to any of the mattes.

Respected Contributor

I believe Buxom offers a fill your own palette choice. 

Also, Thrive has a great quad that has cool lavenders and a smoky blue color.

Respected Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

Still waiting for shades of gray.  You rarely see gray in any palettes.  It's all brown.  Sure, brown can be cool, but I'd rather have all tones of gray.

Marc Jacobs Frivoluxe has two shades of gray along with some purple and plum shades. When I saw the purple I thought oh no way but I liked the palette. The SA at Sephora even said you can't wear that. Well I bought it anyway and I use the purple shade very lightly and it looks very pretty. There's also a light pink in the palette.All of the shades go together very nicely.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

For an almost all cool & matte palette, look at the IT Romantics palette (online here)...the 2nd palette they did. It has a larger pan of shimmer to add to any of the mattes.

I saw that one, @Shanus , thanks!

I have the first IT Romantics Naturally Pretty palette and find the shadows don't last on me as well as say, the Bare Minerals Gen Nude (I have the "Rose" in that one).  So I hesitate to purchase the 2nd IT palette.  Of course, the BM one is "supposed" to be, at least, neutral, but it's really not.  BM has too many shimmery, sparkly shades, too.

Well, the pendulum will swing eventually.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Trusted Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@ElvisShops wrote:

I am still waiting for the pendulum to swing away from those hideous matte lipsticks and  even more hideous skinny jeans. I've never seen anyone of any description look good in either, not even models. 

@ElvisShops   I completely agree with the matte lipstick thing, but I look kinda spiffy in my skinny jeans. The right top/shoes/attitude (and being thin) are essential....or at least wearing the correct size for your shape. 

@Shanus  You could absolutely be the exception. Smiley Happy