Respected Contributor

WOW Meaningful Beauty Products!

[ Edited ]

Toxic ingredients in anti-aging creams like ‘Meaningful Beauty’ are not ‘Meaningful’ or ‘Beautiful’. What the cosmetic industry won’t tell you is the fact that fountain of youth is in your garden, and you could wear it for life,

Isononyl Isononanoate: Although Isononyl Isononanoate leaves you with a silky feeling on your skin, a 2008 study by the Department of Dermatology at a Belgium University shows that Isononyl Isononanoate is the new cosmetic allergens.

Ethylhexyl Palmitate: Although it’s not classified to be potentially toxic or harmful (because no one wants to spend enough time or money to test these ingredients), it’s been linked to organ toxicity, allergies and skin irritation.

Sorbitan Oleate: Sorbitan Oleate is a monoester of oleic acid and hexitol anhydrides derived from sorbitol and it might not be highly toxic, but it has been linked to organ toxicity and mild skin irritation.

Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum): Great stuff! The same oil that goes inside your car engine is used in women’s cosmetics, because of its viscosity. Mineral oil can be hidden under different names and is a derivative of petroleum that can block pores in the skin and increase the risk of allergies, skin rashes and even tumors.

Propylparaben , Phenoxyethanol , Methylparaben, Benzyl Benzoate, and Benzyl Salicylate: Although many studies have linked Parabens with breast cancer in women, the cosmetic industry could not care less that different derivatives of Parabens  are commonly used in cosmetics, skin care products, sunscreens, deodorants or antiperspirants. In fact, 99% of breast cancer tissues have this alarming level of Parabens.

Glycerin: Glycerin dries up the skin from inside out by drawing the moisture from the skin and holding it to the surface.  

Toxic ingredients in other Meaningful Beauty products:

Octinoxate also known as octyl-methoxycinnamate: A 2004 study published in the Journal of Investigative Dermatology has linked this chemical with breast cancer.

Avobenzone:  Avobenzone is derivative of benzophenone that’s mainly used for sunblock. Avobenzone can block UVA and UVB rays, but when it’s exposed to UV light, it could start a free radical chain reaction that could cause cancer.

Propylene Glycol: Propylene Glycol is a form of mineral oil (also used in brake and hydraulic fluid and industrial antifreeze) that prevents escape of moisture or water. Propylene Glycol has been linked to skin irritation, liver and kidney damage and allergies.

This is my favorite one: Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil:  Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil is made by reacting vegetable oil with hydrogen. When this occurs, the level of polyunsaturated oils (good fat) is reduced and trans fats are created. Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oils have been linked to heart disease, breast and colon cancer, atherosclerosis and elevated cholesterol.

PEG-6 Stearate, PEG-32 Stearate, PEG-75 Stearate: Lovely PEG has been linked to cancer, developmental and reproductive toxicity, contamination, organ toxicity, and skin irritation. A study published in the International Journal of Toxicology shows that PEGs can contain harmful impurities like Ethylene Oxide, known to increase the incidences of uterine, brain, or breast cancers, and leukemia

Contributor

Re: WOW Meaninful Beauty Products!

WOW. you make me want to go and throw all my skincare away ,and i just ordered a bunch of D.D  so now the big question what's a skincare to use? i eat my fruits and vegs. but i do feel like i need something more. any suggestions ? i'm 70 years young   some sun spots. very few fine lines, somewhat oily ,but does get dry in winter around nose ,eyebrow area .im also on SS so i have to watch budget, any help given on this is welcome thanks

Esteemed Contributor

Re: WOW Meaningful Beauty Products!

TOO MUCH OF ANYTHING CAN BE LINKED TO SOMETHING BAD.  If only small amounts of these things are in those products, then I would not worry about it.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

OP, could you provide a link to your source? I am very skeptical of this information, especially the "has been linked" part. I think that we should worry only when there is clear scientific data that proves toxicity and danger and at what levels of use in skincare and makeup.

There is just too much fearmongering out there.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@tippygirl wrote:

WOW. you make me want to go and throw all my skincare away ,and i just ordered a bunch of D.D  so now the big question what's a skincare to use? i eat my fruits and vegs. but i do feel like i need something more. any suggestions ? i'm 70 years young   some sun spots. very few fine lines, somewhat oily ,but does get dry in winter around nose ,eyebrow area .im also on SS so i have to watch budget, any help given on this is welcome thanks

@tippygirl  I will again caution against anti-aging creams that promise firming, lifting, etc. It just can’t be done topically. Find a good moisturizer...drugstore brands are fine. I frequently recommend the Oil of Olay Regenerist line or L’Oreal which has similar scientific research as Lancôme. 

Honored Contributor

This article, wherever it is from, is a bunch of alarmist bunk.

Too much vitamin A can kill you. Too much water can kill you. Too much heat can kill you. Too much cold can kill you. Does that mean you should avoid them in reasonable moderation?

Well. Water is in almost all skincare. In large amounts. What are we going to do? Since  consuming gallon upon gallon can kill you, does that mean we need to avoid moisturizer, and run away from puddles? Always stay inside when it rains?

Similarly, a small amount of preservative will keep you from catching flesh eating bacteria. A large amount will poison and kill you. Which is why there is usually 1 percent or less of any given preservative in a skin cream. Same thing for other chemicals. The right amount to keep you from being harmed or dying.

If the writers of this piece got their way, we would not be able to buy skincare anymore. It would be impossible to make cosmetics that could be sold in stores. Nothing could be transported cross country, due to temperature fluctuations. Nothing would be shelf stable.

You would have to mix your own cream in the kitchen using your blender and keep it refridgerated and use it within one week. Which is what people did before cold cream was invented, and plenty of them still died early. So...

The extremes in life are no argument for or against anything.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is as bad as Kate Middleton starting a skincare business.  Perhaps the same source of this info.?

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

This article, wherever it is from, is a bunch of alarmist bunk.

Too much vitamin A can kill you. Too much water can kill you. Too much heat can kill you. Too much cold can kill you. Does that mean you should avoid them in reasonable moderation?

Well. Water is in almost all skincare. In large amounts. What are we going to do? Since  consuming gallon upon gallon can kill you, does that mean we need to avoid moisturizer, and run away from puddles? Always stay inside when it rains?

Similarly, a small amount of preservative will keep you from catching flesh eating bacteria. A large amount will poison and kill you. Which is why there is usually 1 percent or less of any given preservative in a skin cream. Same thing for other chemicals. The right amount to keep you from being harmed or dying.

If the writers of this piece got their way, we would not be able to buy skincare anymore. It would be impossible to make cosmetics that could be sold in stores. Nothing could be transported cross country, due to temperature fluctuations. Nothing would be shelf stable.

You would have to mix your own cream in the kitchen using your blender and keep it refridgerated and use it within one week. Which is what people did before cold cream was invented, and plenty of them still died early. So...

The extremes in life are no argument for or against anything.

@Porcelain, one of the problems of mis- or half-truths is they can make people suspicious of all warnings, even those that ARE credible.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3Agreed. Someone who should avoid a particular ingredient because of their unique makeup and sensitvities may persist in using it, or not even know they should avoid it, because no one credible is doing the warning in the correct way.

Generally the people who are doing the warning are clanging all the emergency bells over everything. Any true threat is hidden in a bunch of hysteria. Which is quite dangerous.

"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

For example, I avoid heavily fragranced skincare. I am not allergic. I don't have a particular sensitivity. I know that for me, fragrance is not an immediate threat.

However, I also know that anyone can develop a sensitivity to particular compounds present in most fragrances used in skin and body care. Linalool etc. It is cumulative. One day you wake up and any scented cream will give you hives from then on. Because I want the flexibility to sometimes use fragranced products into the future, I avoid using them excessively now.

That doesn't make fragrance bad. Doesn't make it harmful. By avoiding it a lot of the time in most products I use, it remains unharmful to me. There is a lot of nuance involved in making these judgements.