Honored Contributor

Re: WHY ALL THE PRODUCT CHANGING?

@151949 wrote:

@Shanus I completely agree with you. When i find something that works for me I use it continually until they stop making it.If what I'm using works for me , why be switching around , wasting money looking for something else to do the same thing.

@151949I’m not saying I only have 1 moisturizer or 1 foundation. Skin changes by season (mine is dryer in winter and requires one that’s more emollient). I have a CC cream for more coverage (will not purchase again because have hardly used it..don’t like the heavy look), but usually wear a tinted moisturizer w/ spf & concealer to touch up where needed. These products are the same brands I’ve had for 10 yrs. If it works, why shop around?

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

Skincare and makeup evolves over time. New formulas and colors keeps a woman current. Although, I have a few tried and true products, I always leave my mind open to "new."

I also think that younger women are trying all the different brands and formulas ...similar to what I did when I was young. I love reading about the successes and failures. It keeps me current.

@Trinity11  When I was in my 40’s & 50’s I experimented w/ skincare as well. By 60, I had researched and tried enough products to settle on what worked for my skin. Makeup? I’m eliminating products now, not adding any new ones. I don’t look to the younger women because what they’re using doesn’t translate to older skin/looks.

Honored Contributor

@StraytoStay wrote:
I wish these skincare, makeup and hair companies kept more formulas as classics instead of replacing them. Sometimes the new improve either makes me break out or smells bad. It irks me when there is a change but sold as if it was the same product you've been used to.

@StraytoStay  If a skincare product changes ingredients w/o noting that on the label...”now with the addition of peptides” for example and it upsets your skin, definitely notify the company & complain. There are regulations about having to note changes due to allergies and sensitivities. 

Esteemed Contributor

I really think it is all a matter of heredity and nothing really works.  Sceptic yes!  But I save  lots of money thinking this way.  

Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

Skin needs change due to age, medications, illnesses, etc.

Additionally science is always moving forward, our grand, or  great grandmothers used lye soap! Smiley Happy

@Drythe  Of course, there are exceptions for illness, sensitivity to a product, etc. Our great-grandmothers scrubbed their clothes on a washboard, but I’m more than happy to use my front loading washer/dryer.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have skin care staples but don’t consider anything a holy grail. Beauty companies change or discontinue products all the time and I have been burned many times. So I am always checking out possible substitutes for things I am currently using.  So far, I have never found an actual dupe for anything.  A similar product, Yes, but one that works the same way, No.

And there is always the chance that a true game-changer might come down the pike.  I can’t resist trying that kind of product.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

Skin needs change due to age, medications, illnesses, etc.

Additionally science is always moving forward, our grand, or  great grandmothers used lye soap! Smiley Happy

@Drythe  Of course, there are exceptions for illness, sensitivity to a product, etc. Our great-grandmothers scrubbed their clothes on a washboard, but I’m more than happy to use my front loading washer/dryer.

@Shanus

Thanks, you got my point exactly, however, I didn't realize aging was an exception for anyone!  

Science moves forward.  So, just like your front loading washer/dryer, I upgraded to Matrixyl 4 when it became available.   Smiley Happy

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Valued Contributor

@Shanus Yes they get most products for free so not sure why so many people swear by their “reviews”?

anyway, I took your post to be referring to all the constant changing of products monthly or weekly,  not changing products over time due to advancements in science. Hell we all do that...but some are changing constantly. Isn’t that what you were  referring to? 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ValentinaBon wrote:

@Shanus Yes they get most products for free so not sure why so many people swear by their “reviews”?

anyway, I took your post to be referring to all the constant changing of products monthly or weekly,  not changing products over time due to advancements in science. Hell we all do that...but some are changing constantly. Isn’t that what you were  referring to? 

@ValentinaBon  It seems some change skincare before it has a chance to work or have several products that are serums, for example, and alternate. How can you or your skin ever know what works?

Honored Contributor

@nyc1 wrote:

Also,   since our skin is constantly changing, something that we may have used and loved, may no longer be the right choice.  There are so many reasons why we are curious about different products.  With the internet, we can now go online and check out the ingredients and see if maybe there is something more effective or better suited to our needs.   Plus...  sometimes it's FUN to just try something new. 

Agree with you @nyc1.  With all the beauty tubers and the internet, there's so much access to information on products that lead us to want to try something new.  As you stated, perhaps out of fun or discovering something that may work better than what we're using now.  There's always new products coming out on the market and it's interesting to read the reviews, etc...That's why I enjoy this forum - I get to find out about products, etc.