Esteemed Contributor

Re: WHITE OR GOLD JEWELRY W/ GREY HAIR

I have fair skin, green eyes and silver hair.  I have had the silver hair for a very long long time.  So I have had lots of experience trying on jewelry.  My best choice has always been silver.  I  don't even like gold. 

Honored Contributor

I have always preferred white gold.  My wedding set is white gold. Yellow gold has never looked great on me, but I do own some really fine pieces of it in 18k and 24k.

Respected Contributor

Since letting my hair go gray, white metals look better on me so that's what I tend to wear.  I'll break out my yellow gold if my outfit has gold buttons, for example, or more warm tones but for the most part, I wear white metals now.  Even before I stopped coloring my hair though, since my skintone has cool undertones, white metals have always looked better against my skin than yellow metals.

Honored Contributor

Whichever one you prefer; you can even go with rose gold if you like it.  I do like the look of a woman with silver hair wearing white metals but I susect those women have always preferred the white metals.  

Respected Contributor

Forgot to mention Rose gold!  It looks quite nice with my fair coloring, so have some lovely Ripka pieces (watches, earrings) and lots of Linea jewelry in rose and chocolate.  Looks very nice with greying hair too, better than yellow gold.

Most of my jewelry is white gold or silver, always has been.

Honored Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

Since letting my hair go gray, white metals look better on me so that's what I tend to wear.  I'll break out my yellow gold if my outfit has gold buttons, for example, or more warm tones but for the most part, I wear white metals now.  Even before I stopped coloring my hair though, since my skintone has cool undertones, white metals have always looked better against my skin than yellow metals.

@Texasmouse  I must be really particular. When I did my mass purge in my closet, I unloaded all warm tones except my olive green things...my eyes are that color. Don’t care what the fashionistas say about cool tones w/ fair skin, or grey hair or being a winter or whatever season....the olive green stays.

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

I have fair skin, green eyes and silver hair.  I have had the silver hair for a very long long time.  So I have had lots of experience trying on jewelry.  My best choice has always been silver.  I  don't even like gold. 

@bonnielu  The exact same coloring here. I’ve inherited some beautiful gold pieces, but they live in my safe. What I purchased or was gifted? Most of that I sold when the price was high.

Valued Contributor

I wear white with my grey hair.  I only wear gold if I think it looks better with the outfit.

Respected Contributor

With the very distinctive pure white streak in the front of my colored dark hair, matte silver or white gold earrings look best.  The necklace chain is matte white gold but the pendant and rings, bracelets can be one or both.

Yellow gold just clashes with the white on me.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

Hmmm.... interesting thoughts.  I've always preferred white metals and wore white gold and sterling silver exclusively all my life.  I still wear white metals now with my silver hair.....except for several pieces of 3-toned Black Hills Gold I've purchased on our trips to S. Dakota.  I was never a fan of yellow metals, but love the combo of white, yellow, and rose gold on one piece.  I need more!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt