Respected Contributor

Re: WHAT DO YOU DO WITH "USELESS" MAKEUP?

I give away anything that I think someone else might like. My sister, my daughter, my daughter in law.... & I took a box of really nice things to my hair stylist last visit. 

She has a 17 year old daughter, so the 2 of them were happy with that.

Lipgloss or liquid eyeliner I throw away. My sister or daughter's don't mind trying a mascara if I use it & didn't like it, but I wouldn't pass that on to anyone else.

I break out from everything so I do pass on a lot of things that I try that break me out, but they don't usually have a problem with.

Honored Contributor

I toss it. I ordered some Revlon peach lipstick and blush from Amazon recently. I thought it was an inexpensive way to try some warm colors. Both looked strange...I realize Way Bandy was right forty plus years ago when he told me no one has peach lips in nature nor do they blush peach.😀

Honored Contributor

I toss it most times. And then if I have face cream that I don't like for my face, I use it for my legs or hands at night. Sometimes I let DD take what she likes, not make up, we are different skin tones,  but skin care and hair care. Been trying to buy sample sizes of things I see that I am interested in too--don't feel quite so bad throwing out a $5 sample.

Respected Contributor

I am good at throwing out make up that's at it's expiration date.  I am not good at immediately tossing make up that does not work for me.  I have nobody to give my makeup mistakes to, so I use them anyway for a short time hoping that I change my mind and like it.   Right now I am wearing foundation that I think is too light. Sooner or later I will trash it.

Honored Contributor

If its gently used powder products and they aren't too old, I donate them to Project Beauty Share.  Lip products I toss or old stuff is tossed.

Honored Contributor

I throw it away.  Useless things, or things that don't bring me joy, have no place in my home.  I don't like clutter and stuff I don't use or don't like qualify as clutter. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

Out the door or through the window!

I don't think I ever got a sample that I actually used, except for 1. A lip shade that I specifically asked for, a shade I already knew & loved.

@Harpa 

Me, either.   I now just turn down free samples .... they never turn out to be something useful.

Honored Contributor

Ladies ladies ladies, how can you toss out samples???  My only "problem" with samples is remembering to use them.  Today I took my entire sample basket to mom and told her to take anything she wanted.  There were a few things in there I didn't realize I had (and wanted).  I have made many purchases based on samples.  Bought perfume based on samples.  My latest perfume purchase (Phlur) came from a sample.  My Sol de Janerio lotions and body sprays came from samples.  The Pat McGrath Sublime Fetish foundation came from a sample.  I could go on and on.  Oh, the Moroccanoil hair products and perfume that smell DEvine (and work good too) came from samples.  I can't use all the samples but someone can.  I'll take the basket to my daughters this weekend for my GD and her to go thru.  Sometimes Sephora is out of a sample I chose and substitutes.  I get deluxe samples using Retailmenot dot com and entering the store's name (usually Sephora).  

As for "useless" makeup, I return it.  I've got 2 lip glosses to return to Ulta and 3 products to return to Sephora.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Trinity11 wrote:

I toss it. I ordered some Revlon peach lipstick and blush from Amazon recently. I thought it was an inexpensive way to try some warm colors. Both looked strange...I realize Way Bandy was right forty plus years ago when he told me no one has peach lips in nature nor do they blush peach.😀

@Trinity11 

Way Bandy?  

Now I am envious.  Had such a little girl crush on him.  Would love to have had a consult with him.

That (*&#) epidemic lead me to go into health care and Public Health.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

If it's new and I just regret the purchase, I give it to a women's shelter I work with.

If it's lightly used, I put it all on the table and DD and her friends go through it. ( There's usually not much left at the end.)

Anything expired or not wanted by DD's friends goes out.   Smiley Happy