Honored Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOUR MOST TOUGH MAKEUP AREAS/PRODUCTS, ETC.? ANY QUESTIONS?S?

@Sooner wrote:

@Shanus I agree with you about makeup for you not to match clothing.  I also think we tend to pick colors we love because they do look nice and harmonize with our coloring.

So for lipsticks rather than buying different things I won't be happy with I stick with what I keep buying (if that makes sense!  Woman Frustrated). But I do need more color now than 10 years ago! 

@Sooner   The same here with needing a brighter lip now. I'm using my samelipsticks, but changed from a pale pink lip pencil to one that's more rosey/mauve. I always line and fill in so this changes my lipstick or gloss to a brighter shade.

Honored Contributor

@justashopper wrote:

Hi @Shanus 

For me its 2.  First. getting the brows to look natural.  My natual brows are decent but filling in a little thining and the tail, ugh!  It can look heavy handed.  So I end up starting over.  The 2nd but equally challenging thing is, covering an age spot I have on my cheek.  No matter what I do, I can still see it.  

@justashopper   Brows are always difficult for most. I do the tail lightly w/ a softer pencil pencil, but do the fill in areas with a powder...either one meant for brows, but more economical is most palettes have a taupy brown shade meant as a crease shade that's perfect for creating a shadow under the brow hair, not a harsh pencil which colors the skin. Then I like to finish w/ a clear brow gel. On days off, I have Gimme Brow Gel in shade 3...a light/medium neutral brown. I wear that alon...you can drag the tip of it across the tail for a fill in.

Your age spot? Have you tried Dermablend? It can cover a third arm. Lol

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Desertdi  @QVCkitty1   IMHO, brows are the most important area of the face. I'm sure you've heard about them framing and giving structure to your face.

ULTA and many dept. stores have brow bars and there are free standing brow boutique stores because so many others have brow issues. A professional "shape up" w/ a recommendation for products and shades can change your life.

Honored Contributor

@justashopper wrote:

Hi @Shanus 

For me its 2.  First. getting the brows to look natural.  My natual brows are decent but filling in a little thining and the tail, ugh!  It can look heavy handed.  So I end up starting over.  The 2nd but equally challenging thing is, covering an age spot I have on my cheek.  No matter what I do, I can still see it.  

@justashopper I am NO expert here, and @Shanus is far better than I am, but here's a hint.  I use brow pencils every day and sweep them lightly across my eyebrow using the side of the sharpened part of the pencil, not the point.  That helps not get too much, especially on the tail ends of the brow.  You might see if it helps!  Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

@justashopper wrote:

Hi @Shanus 

@justashopper I am NO expert here, and @Shanus is far better than I am, but here's a hint.  I use brow pencils every day and sweep them lightly across my eyebrow using the side of the sharpened part of the pencil, not the point.  That helps not get too much, especially on the tail ends of the brow.  You might see if it helps!  Woman Happy

@Sooner  @justashopper   Sounds like a good plan to me. Running over them with a spoolie helps blend out the pencil. If there's an an oops and they come out too dark, you go over them lightly with a small brush and some of your transluscent setting powder or whatever you use.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have too long of a space between the bottom of my nose and upper lip. I use lip colors that others would say look like concealer, to make the space less obvious. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus - my undereyes are the worst to deal with.  Wrinkles, darkness, hollows, texture - whatever that means, dryness, etc.  No matter what concealer I use with or without a corrector, it looks awful.  Whether I apply it with a brush, fingers, sponge doesn't matter. High end or drugstore, all look awful.  I've given up.  I do have some concealers that I keep on hand just in case for special occasions, etc. but I never reach for them on a daily basis.  I also have Bobbi Brown's corrector which I will sometimes use alone without concealer.  

Honored Contributor

@Frenchlop   When I did makeup for a friend, she had the same issue. I used a contour shade (not dark enough to look like unwanted hair) around the very edge of the top lip...if you want to take the time. It recedes that space that you think is too long.

IMO, I'd ignore it and wear whatever lipstick looks good with your complexion. Ibet using a very pale shade may draw attention to the "issue". 

My recommendation to always to take a selfie each way and look at them with unbiased eyes. Flaws sometimes are only more obvious to you.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JudyL wrote:

@Shanus - my undereyes are the worst to deal with.  Wrinkles, darkness, hollows, texture - whatever that means, dryness, etc.  No matter what concealer I use with or without a corrector, it looks awful.  Whether I apply it with a brush, fingers, sponge doesn't matter. High end or drugstore, all look awful.  I've given up.  I do have some concealers that I keep on hand just in case for special occasions, etc. but I never reach for them on a daily basis.  I also have Bobbi Brown's corrector which I will sometimes use alone without concealer.  

@JudyL   Many of us deal with that issue...me, too. No hollows yet, but dryness. Fortuneately, I've used Retin A for almost 30 years or more so have been able to go further under the eye and help with wrinkles, but dryness, yes. 

I'd look for an undereye balm instead of a cream. Kiehl's has a few great eye products. BB used to have a great EXTRA Intense Eye Balm,but not sure if discontinued...I have 6 of them waiting to be used every night. 

After applying the balm, I seal it in with jojoba oil. By morning, undereyes do look less dry. I also use a good eye cream for day andmy spf that's moisturizing also goes to the under eye area. It's a double/triple moisture application, but after several weeks, I think you'll see a diference. 

Hollows are a bi*ch to deal with. Only a light corrector and a tiny brush on the hollow's ridge can help, but the only "cure" is fillers and many docs won't place it there because the skin's so thin. Placing a too light corrector or concealer over the entire under eye will emphasize hollows. It's better to go one shade lighter and carefully spot conceal.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@JudyL wrote:

@JudyL   Many of us deal with that issue...me, too. No hollows yet, but dryness. Fortuneately, I've used Retin A for almost 30 years or more so have been able to go further under the eye and help with wrinkles, but dryness, yes. 

I'd look for an undereye balm instead of a cream. Kiehl's has a few great eye products. BB used to have a great EXTRA Intense Eye Balm,but not sure if discontinued...I have 6 of them waiting to be used every night. 

After applying the balm, I seal it in with jojoba oil. By morning, undereyes do look less dry. I also use a good eye cream for day andmy spf that's moisturizing also goes to the under eye area. It's a double/triple moisture application, but after several weeks, I think you'll see a diference. 

Hollows are a bi*ch to deal with. Only a light corrector and a tiny brush on the hollow's ridge can help, but the only "cure" is fillers and many docs won't place it there because the skin's so thin. Placing a too light corrector or concealer over the entire under eye will emphasize hollows. It's better to go one shadelighter and carefully spot conceal.

@Shanus  - Thanks for the suggestions!  I have found if I use my eye cream and then put some of SKINN's honey manuka oil over it, my undereye area is looking much better.  Also have found that if I want a bit of coverage under my eyes, the BB corrector is good enough.  It doesn't cover which I wasn't expecting but it does lessen the darkness enough that I just live with it. LOL  Once I am done with my current eye cream, I may look into an eye balm instead.