Honored Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOUR MOST TOUGH MAKEUP AREAS/PRODUCTS, ETC.? ANY QUESTIONS?S?

@Harpa wrote:

Mine is not collecting so many lipsticks. I don't really mean to collect them; I have a bunch of perfect shades!

@Shanus  You asked what the point is for those lipsticks? Maybe formulation? Maybe we should chuck our lipsticks out like we chuck out mascara after a couple of months.

Next would be in finding the perfect gray liner for brown eyes. Sephora's been out of the glitter gray for a while now, and I'm down to my last pencil. Gray is a nice compliment. Don't want black!! I don't want to look like Josie Jerema. This was a dear lady who worked next to my Mom and she always wore a thick smudge of black liner on her lower lash line!

I don't really have application issues. I just want to enhance my features: brows, eyes, lips. I'm using a much softer "blush" these days -- LG Ethereal Rose, maybe a little too light, but at the same time, it works for me.

@Harpa   I can help with the grey liner. My all time favorite (have backups) is Urban Decay's 24/7 pencil in UZI. It's described as a dark gunmetal grey w/ silver shimmer. Gorgeous!!!

Honored Contributor

@Franklinbell wrote:

@Shanus @Good morning everyone! What a great topic! This answer has changed in the last few days because my favorite foundation is out of stock! TBD when it will return. Now I gotta look for a new one. I hate this! My true makeup challenge area is eyeshadow. I love soft, not too bold colors. I have challenges using a second color. I'm never sure what to do with the second color. I need to watch a few yt videos and practice! 

@Franklinbell   There are no rules for shadow...using a second shade. There are many times when I apply a "one and done" shadow (either a powder or lately cream shadow stick to eliminate a primer) in a light, neutral pinkish beige and then use my blush or bronzer as my crease shade. 

YT: check out Wayne Goss's videos on eye shadow for beginners...demos, placements, shades, etc. 

Honored Contributor

I do very little make up any more...just sunscreen...a BBCream... blush, mascara and lip. I have one brown spot on my upper left cheek that only bare minerals bisque powder covers.  I have tried  a lot of concealers....none of them will cover it for some reason.  That is my only area of concern...as 67 not too bad. No wrinkles to contend with.

Respected Contributor

@Shanus @Thanks!

Honored Contributor

@KBEANS wrote:

Raccoon eyes. My skin is dark/ brownish around the entire area and corners. 

Mascara. I feel that it only emphasizes the darkness around my eyes.

@Shanus  I've been using brown/ neutral shadows (think UD Naked 3 Pallette) to camaflouge my eye discoloration. Is this advisable? Or should I being trying some other colors? 

I've been using RMS concelear and foundation or JM tinted moisturizer to try to even out  the skin.

@KBEANS   I'm sure you've seen me mention correctors for under the eyes, usually a peach tone that cuts some of the darkness before using concealer. 

If your undereye area is already "darkish brown", I'd stay away from brown, taupes shadows. I think that would only draw attention to the same shades on lids and undereyes. Try pinks, peaches, apricots, light creamy vanilla shades, etc. Also having a bit of shimmer in the shadows will draw the attention to the lids and not under the eyes.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

@Shanus With your help, not many! My brows have never really been an issue no matter what color of hair I have had.  They are a good color, a taupe color, and don't need added emphasis except the outer side. I use a taupe or blonde color pencil.

The best I ever had was Chantecaille, which they of course don't make that one now, but also Laura Mercier, Dior, waxy not powder pencil.

Lipsticks?  I don't buy a bunch.  Find three or four colors that work and stick with that.  Buy a really pretty one, find a brand you love, splurge and stop looking for another color. Buy ones you love and look good on you and use  them. Pink, more coral, neutral and a wild card!  You probably buy most clothes in certain colors don't you? 

I don't use much blush, a lightest bronzer powder here and there sometimes.  Concealer only mostly (thanks!) and a light dabbing of Bobbi Brown light foundation (I am never as dark as a medium shade and BB finally made some neutral colors), Dior, or Shiseido--liquids put on the back of my hand and lightly dabbed on with a big-ended foundation brush.  Dabbed and then blended a little--as light a coat as possible.

Eyes?  A light color usually shell or a light gray (from a kit you suggested) on the lid, fine black line top only, and mascara. 

@Sooner   I know we've chatted before about products and shades. Happy I could assist.

I've been wearing BB foundations, her foundation sticks, serum foundation, tinted moisturizers, concealers and correctors for about 3 decades...the shades are the same across the board if I want to wear light or heavier coverage and yes, her/the shades are spot on and there is a wide range to choose from.  

Happy you're enjoying the shadows, too. 

My clothes are all grey, black, white and denims and I do my makeup/lipsticks for my coloring, not my clothing...even if  I branch out to a pale pink or wedgewood/hydrangea blue top. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have always had dark undereye circles, from a young age...I've tried so many concealers over my life.

Mally's old one WAS my Holy Grail...but all Mally's great products totally went away after her company was sold. Her mascara and twist up lip glosses, with a nylon brush applicator, were fantastic. Now her stuff is all sub par that I've tried. I never buy her things anymore...and she used to be one of the ones I repeat-bought from most.

Currently using both a Sephora concealer and also a NARS one. They're fine for now, but not the best...as in sometimes look a little drying/crepey. 

I follow Hot and Flashy on YouTube...she suggested a "Holy Grail" concealer last month...I have to look that up again, and perhaps try that one next.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I do very little make up any more...just sunscreen...a BBCream... blush, mascara and lip. I have one brown spot on my upper left cheek that only bare minerals bisque powder covers.  I have tried  a lot of concealers....none of them will cover it for some reason.  That is my only area of concern...as 67 not too bad. No wrinkles to contend with.

@SeaMaiden  It sounds like you've found a routine and products that work well for you...at any age.

Honored Contributor

@amyb wrote:

I have always had dark undereye circles, from a young age...I've tried so many concealers over my life.

Mally's old one WAS my Holy Grail...but all Mally's great products totally went away after her company was sold. Her mascara and twist up lip glosses, with a nylon brush applicator, were fantastic. Now her stuff is all sub par that I've tried. I never buy her things anymore...and she used to be one of the ones I repeat-bought from most.

Currently using both a Sephora concealer and also a NARS one. They're fine for now, but not the best...as in sometimes look a little drying/crepey. 

@amyb   I use NARS Creamy Concealer, but over BB Corrector in Porcelain Bisque (for me)which is a pale peachy tone. This means I apply less concealer which can settle in my lines. Correctors are usually creamier and lighterweight than concealers. Also, suggesting a good moisturizer/eye cream and allow to set before beginning any corrector/concealer. Without a good eye cream, most products will look "dry and crepey".

Honored Contributor

I'll be checking in during the day, so keep the questions/comments coming. 

Sometimes your issues and product suggestions help someone else. 💕