Respected Contributor

WENT BACK TO SKINMEDICA SUNSCREEN...

[ Edited ]

Some of you may remember my posts about my experiences with sunscreens.  I can't say how many I've used and hated them. The last is La Roche spf 60,  rolls, flakes, and my face feels soooo dry, even with moisturizers. I mentioned how uncompatible it is with foundation too.  It doesn't go on dry at all, but something happens as the day goes on...looks separated and patchy, dry.  I tried a few different foundations over it, thought one worked, then next time, awful.  I've had some sunscreens, feel like oil, or grease.  I'm waisting so much money.  I looked into many suggestions here, on my earlier post, but I decided to ordered SkinMedica Total Defense and Repair spf 50.  I used to use it and always loved it. I guess I tried searching around for something less expensive.  I buy this from ebay for $54, expiration date on pkg as well.   So that's the end of story.

Honored Contributor

Re: WENT BACK TO SKINMEDICA SUNSCREEN...

Leaves a white cast according to some of the reviews. I'm out. Of course what else would I expect from a mineral ss. Glad you like it @Dazlin .

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee So basically mineral sunscreens will work with foundations that may also contain mineral only spf's in them?  I find that most of these foundations provide a very low spf of 15 or maybe 20 at most.  The others like IT's CC or Bye Bye foundation have spf 50 BUT they Never dry down and stay moist and separate away within a few hours.  Both of them are mineral only based.

For some reason I find mineral spf's really drying....I have tried many that were mentioned in both previous threads on them.  

@Dazlin I hope your new spf works out for you...it is so hard to find one to work well and not ruin the look of foundation!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tsavorite 

Yes, exactly. You should never mix mineral ss (oxides) or foundation, which usually contains oxides as coloring agents, with chemical ss. If you do wear a chemical ss then apply a primer on top before foundation.

ETA-I meant to include AVO as the chemical not to mix with mineral.

Respected Contributor

@tsavorite , yes, I've had it before, it's very nice, no white cast, or greasiness.   It's both chemical and mineral,  broad spectrum. . It supposedly has good things for the skin as well. . I just remember not having all these issues with it, and my skin looked healthy. 

Respected Contributor

@tsavorite , also I'll add, I had the It cc spf 50...I found it to be a very HEAVY make up, settles into some lines, and just not a natural looking foundation,  just my opinion.  I'm also very fair, and the lightest was a bit yellow.  I try alot because you know,  I hope to eliminate the sunscreen,  so a foundation with a high spf would be great.  I recently ordered Estee Lauder hydrating spf 45, and I do not like it.  So this is why, I just went back to SkinMedica.  Very annoying,  lol, but can't go without anything,  I've had some spots removed, and one precancerous.