Honored Contributor

IMHO, what I see here as well on ALL the other forums when the PRICE of something is mentioned, there are always those who post the following:

1) the price is ridiculous/outrageous/way too much/too rich for their blood/etc.

This in itself is fine. Nothing wrong with that. We ALL have price points we feel is too over our budget and that's that.

But.......THIS is then stated:

2) And ANYONE who buys it is a FOOL/STUPID/CLUELESS and other insulting words.

Now, I ask you, WHY? Why the need to INSULT anyone who chooses to purchases it? Why the need to INCLUDE an insult when commenting about the price?

The moment a person does that, they make it personal. Often, it's said indirectly, yet the words used tell exactly what the poster is saying: It's a targeted insult and done so on purpose as it has nothing to do with the cost of the product and therefore, irrelevant. What do you expect is going to happen when you insult someone for their choose? 

*smh* 

Esteemed Contributor

Exactly. And they know it, @SahmIam

Respected Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

@Shanus

That's why I never purchase hair or beauty products from Amazon, but Target was legit.  Sally Beauty is legit as well, and the same consistency changes happened there.  There are hoards of blogs about it on the Internet, and SM itself admitted the changes, but saying that's a natural occurrence for them. 

It only happens with their Moisture Retention products, not any of the other hair products.  I don't know if you use their Moisture Retention line.

@Caaareful Shopper  I had the same thing happen with their Fruit Fusion line which is the one I primarily use. The conditioner is supposed to be white. I ordered one from Ulta and it was yellow. I know it says on the bottle that it may change color but the consistency changes too. I went to an Ulta store to see if I could find a conditioner in white but no such luck. I ordered a bottle from Shea Moisture's website for Black Friday and that one was a little yellow but not as bad as the one from Ulta. To me it seems like old product.

Esteemed Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

I save money by using Wen because I don't need all the other products (conditioners, root lifters, setting sprays, etc)  I used in the past to deal with my thick hair.  I was also continually spending money trying out new products always in search for that holy grail. Ended up wasting a lot of products that didn't work.

Fast forward 8 years - My hair has never looked better and I get compliments from strangers quite often - in fact, the last compliment was yesterday. 

QVC has the best Wen specials and so glad I discovered Chaz Dean 8 years ago.

@San Antonio Gal...   I do not use any other products besides a shampoo and conditioner or a 2 in 1 shampoo and conditioner.  While using WEN I did try some of the WEN styling products but none of them ever worked for me. I'm perfectly happy with the shampoos and conditioners I am currently using.  But if I would want to try out other products I would not spend the same amount I would have spent on WEN.  Also, my hair looks much better now that I have stopped using WEN.  I certainly am  not bashing anyone who uses and loves WEN .......  I'm just stating my experience with the product.  

Honored Contributor

@HSB1204  Same here with their MR line.  I stayed loyal when it was just a change in color, because my hair seemed not to notice.  But the vast difference in their shampoo left my hair very tangled. 

I'm taking a break from all Shea Moisture products for now.

Honored Contributor

@RipleyGirl wrote:

Not really sure why I'm wading in but here goes.

Being shocked by the price when you don't realize that is actually Chaz' full price, not the QVC special deal price that happens 2x a year - OK, I understand.

Saying you tried the product and it didn't work for you, you prefer X product. OK, glad you found something that works.

When you start implying people are dumb to pay that price or so stupid they don't realize their hair is dirty or falling out, then you're insulting those who enjoy using the product. That would like me commenting about a certain brand of handbags and saying "OMG how could people be crazy enough to pay that much for a handbag". If they like the things and it makes them happy, who am I to criticize.

**edited for a bad typing day

Well said @RipleyGirl.

Respected Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

@HSB1204  Same here with their MR line.  I stayed loyal when it was just a change in color, because my hair seemed not to notice.  But the vast difference in their shampoo left my hair very tangled. 

I'm taking a break from all Shea Moisture products for now.

@Caaareful Shopper  I can't blame you. I thought about trying their body wash but a lot of the recent reviews said that they had become extremely runny so it seems like they may be messing with a lot of their formulas.

Honored Contributor

Re: WEN!?!?!?!?!?!?

[ Edited ]

@SahmIam wrote:

IMHO, what I see here as well on ALL the other forums when the PRICE of something is mentioned, there are always those who post the following:

1) the price is ridiculous/outrageous/way too much/too rich for their blood/etc.

This in itself is fine. Nothing wrong with that. We ALL have price points we feel is too over our budget and that's that.

But.......THIS is then stated:

2) And ANYONE who buys it is a FOOL/STUPID/CLUELESS and other insulting words.

Now, I ask you, WHY? Why the need to INSULT anyone who chooses to purchases it? Why the need to INCLUDE an insult when commenting about the price?

The moment a person does that, they make it personal. Often, it's said indirectly, yet the words used tell exactly what the poster is saying: It's a targeted insult and done so on purpose as it has nothing to do with the cost of the product and therefore, irrelevant. What do you expect is going to happen when you insult someone for their choose? 

*smh* 

@SahmIam, when posters move from your 1) point to your 2) point, you are absolutely correct that it is rude and insulting.

I looked back at the beginning of this thread, though, and saw no such posts that resembled your second point before the first post of several that did indeed become insulting and rude toward those expressing your first point. They were mocked and dismissed and basically accused of trolling.

I have seen Wen threads in which posters (often new but no always) do indeed sound as if they're just stirring the pot. This was not one of those threads.

Overreacting to normal questioning of pricing does no service to anyone and even raises the question as to the reason for such hyper responses from a poster.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3  The moment it is made personal, it has crossed the line. Doesn't matter for what or how it's done, when it becomes personal- it's too much.

It is at this moment whatever a person has to say becomes irrelevant and the thread heads into troll territory.

Bottom line folks: DON'T make it personal. When it does, report it to the mods and have it removed. 

Honored Contributor

@Boehm Collector wrote:

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

I save money by using Wen because I don't need all the other products (conditioners, root lifters, setting sprays, etc)  I used in the past to deal with my thick hair.  I was also continually spending money trying out new products always in search for that holy grail. Ended up wasting a lot of products that didn't work.

Fast forward 8 years - My hair has never looked better and I get compliments from strangers quite often - in fact, the last compliment was yesterday. 

QVC has the best Wen specials and so glad I discovered Chaz Dean 8 years ago.

@San Antonio Gal...   I do not use any other products besides a shampoo and conditioner or a 2 in 1 shampoo and conditioner.  While using WEN I did try some of the WEN styling products but none of them ever worked for me. I'm perfectly happy with the shampoos and conditioners I am currently using.  But if I would want to try out other products I would not spend the same amount I would have spent on WEN.  Also, my hair looks much better now that I have stopped using WEN.  I certainly am  not bashing anyone who uses and loves WEN .......  I'm just stating my experience with the product.  

@Boehm Collector- I appreciate your post on your Wen experience. Your post is stating your opinion and definitely not bashing people for using Wen.  I'm sure others would agree.  Glad you found something that works well for you.