Frequent Contributor

Re: WEN...does it clog your drains and make shower slippery?

I've lived in my apartment for 30 years, pre-Wen (2013) I only had to call the super to unlog my bathtub drain maybe once every 2 years.  Since Wen, I have to call him at least twice a year.  The only thing that changed is the addition of Wen.  I keep using it as my hair is great (and as a renter I don't have to pay a plumber to unclog it).  I've tried the vinegar and baking soda once my drain is slower than usual and it did not work.  I may try it now every month as a preventative.  I always use a bath mat so I can't speak to my tub being more slippery.

Trusted Contributor

I'm surprised none of the WEN 'haters' here on these boards suggested that it wasn't the WEN but your "loss of hair" clogging your drains! LOL 

Maybe I just beat them to the punch....

Trusted Contributor

I’ve used Wen for 8 years and never had a problem with clogged drains.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use no-slip "plastic grass" mat in my shower, so I don't know if WEN makes anything slippery. I mostly use the mat because I can squirt some body wash onto it and wash my feet while I shower, but the bonus is that there's no slippery surface. Smiley Happy

I've had long hair almost all my life and it has clogged drains since the time I was a teenager. WEN or no WEN, in every home I've lived in, I've had to deal with clogged drains several times a year. But now I use a TubShroom and I haven't had a clogged drain since I bought it nearly 2 years ago. Best $12 I've ever spent! One of the things I've noticed is that the TubShroom doesn't just catch hair, it also catches conditioner chunks. This happens whether I use WEN or use other conditioners and cleansing conditioners. It happens more often when the weather is warm and I'm showering with cooler water. Mostly the conditioner chunks get caught by the hair and don't seem to be a problem on their own. (If my hair and the TubShroom weren't in the way, I'm sure the conditioner chunks would have gone down the drain without too much effort.)

Every two weeks I remove the TubShroom, pull off the collected hair, pop it back in the drain, and go about my business. The thing is fantastic.

Image result for tubshroom

I recommend making sure you're using warm water and making sure you're using enough water so that the WEN isn't like paste in your hair.  If I use too much WEN and not enough water, it's harder to comb my fingers through my hair and more hair comes out in the shower. Adding more water is crucial, not only to drains, but to your hair.