Contributor

WEN...does it clog your drains and make shower slippery?

I have been using WEN daily...I work out and need to wash after exercise...and I have had to call the plumber to unclog the shower drain!!  This has NEVER happened before, and the only new variable is WEN which I have been using for a month.  Also, does your shower get slippery?  Almost took a spill from the slippery residue as I was washing.

Respected Contributor

Re: WEN...does it clog your drains and make shower slippery?

@Bullyeye  Yes to both your questions; clogged pipes have been a bone of contention for Wen users.

Might be cheaper to change shampoos than to have to call a plumber.

Super Contributor

I clean my shower at least once a week with Clorox clean up and I use very hot water to shower and to clean with 

I have never had an issue with a clogged drain or slippery surface 

Honored Contributor

The mistake IMO that people make when they use WEN CC is they don't use enough water to make a lather on the hair so the product is liquified enough to go down the drain.. I have been using WEN CC for years and never had clogged drains. 

Trusted Contributor

I have had neither problem. Quite a while back someone complained about the drain and was sure Wen caused it. She came back to say it was roots in her pipes.

i wondered about that at the time because it takes so much water to rinse out that I can’t figure out how it would clog. Not saying anyone is not being truthful but honestly wonder how pipes could plug because of all the water required.

i hope whether it is your Wen or something else you are able to get that issue cleared up.

Trusted Contributor

I had shower/tub drain issues...big time.  I did need to call a plumber to clean out the mess.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been fortunate as a long time WEN user (since 09) not to have any of the problems.  I will say that one of the things I learned from Chaz was that I wasn't rinsing long enough -  not even close.   Maybe all that water is cleansing the drain!

Of course, I had to learn the same thing when I bought my first electric toothbrush and found out I hadn't been brushing long enough.

And -  even Clarisonic re-enforced that lesson.  I wasn't spending enough time cleansing my face.

While I'm guessing the 2-minute rule they all recommend isn't sacrosanct, I have found even when I stray from those products for some reason, I'm terying to use that advice and it's working for my hair and skin and teeth, too.

ETA:  Lots of products, even ordinary bar soap, lead to slippery shower floors.  I've known a few people who slipped in their showers, but none used WEN.

Trusted Contributor

When I wasn't using enough water, I occasionally had to use a liquid drain opener but never had to call a plumber.

Respected Contributor

Nah, never and I live with well and septic. Been using Wen about 6 years. Before I do the rinse, I comb out the loose hair in the shower and dispose of it in a paper towel I take in the bathroom with me. Yea there’s loose hair especially since I wash my hair every other day, but no more than with other products.  I have always combed through before I rinse because I have shoulder length hair and I’m sure if I let it go down the drain, no matter what product I used it would clog.  I know I have more hair now than ever at 62.  Yes, I attribute that to Wen.  I do have good hair, but the thickness and density of it has increased. And I’m loving that.

Honored Contributor

When I used WEN I never had a problem with clogged drains but every month I pour a half a cup of baking soda down the drain then pour a cup of distilled vinegar in.  After it is done bubbling I pour a tea pot full of boiling water down the drain and never have a clog anymore.