Respected Contributor
Does your hairdresser sell Wen? Most recommend stuff they sell..or at least that has been my experience.
Respected Contributor
On 9/17/2014 focksie said:

OP, since your hairdresser told you why she wouldn't use Wen, I'd really be interested to know. I have used Wen but not NC. I had a bad experience with Wen.

The answer would be like a she said/ she said thing and I really don't want to get negative about the product. I would really like to know if it is worth the money OR if it would be good for my dog.

This should have been posted here, sorry. I don't know how to move it to here.

Don't worry, be Happy!
Super Contributor
On 9/17/2014 golfcartrider said:
On 9/17/2014 FLsunlover said:

Well I wouldn't go solely by what your hairstylist said because you'll get differing opinions depending on which one you ask. My hairstylist says it's a good product and has no problem with me using it although she thinks I need to use a clarifying shampoo from time to time. I think they are both good lines, but Wen works better for me than anything else I has used in the past. There is no "hype" involved--just results for me.

As I looked around her shop and saw all of the products she was selling but no WEN I thought to myself, of course she would say that.

Exactly--I worked as a receptionist at a salon for a while and I can tell you the stylists can make a good chunk of extra money selling all their clients products at every visit. What a majority of stylists know about products only comes from reps of the lines they carry, so it can be somewhat biased.

Honored Contributor

From QVC's website

Nick Chavez

Advanced Volume Shampoo
Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Cocamide MEA, 3-Aminopropane Sulfonic Acid, Adiantum Pedatum Extract, Alcohol, Algae
Extract, Anacyclus Pyrethrum Root Extract, Arnica Montana Flower Extract, Benzalkonium Chloride,
Benzophenone-4, Beta Vulgaris (Beet) Root Extract, Biotin, Cetyl Triethylmonium Dimethicone PEG-8
Succinate, Citric Acid, Dimethicone PEG-8 Meadowfoamate, Disodium EDTA, Ethyl Nicotinate, Eugenia
Caryophyllus (Clove) Flower Extract, Euterpe Oleracea Fruit Extract, Ginkgo Biloba Leaf Extract, Glycol
Distearate, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Extract,
Hedychium Coronarium Root Extract, Hyaluronic Acid, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol,
Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Juglans Nigra (Black Walnut) Shell Extract, Keratin,
Laminaria Digitata Extract, Methyl Gluceth-10, Niacin, Panthenol, Pelvetia Canaliculata Extract,
Phytantriol, Polyquaternium-7, Polyquaternium-24, Propylene Glycol, Quaternium-75, Quillaja Saponaria
Bark Extract, Retinyl Palmitate, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Salvia Officinalis (Sage)
Leaf Extract, Sodium PCA, Sodium Chondroitin Sulfate, Steareth-4, Swertia Japonica Extract, Tocopheryl
Nicotinate, Urtica Dioica (Nettle) Extract, Wheat Amino Acids, Methylchloroisothiazolinone,
Methylisothiazolinone, Fragrance(Parfum), Blue 1 (CI 42090), Red 33 (CI 17200), Ext. Violet 2 (CI 60730),
Amyl Cinnamal, Benzyl salicylate, Limonene, Linalool.

Advanced Volume Conditioner
Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Cetrimonium Chloride, Alcohol,
Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Benzophenone-4, Biotin, Citric Acid, Cysteine, Daucus Carota Sativa
(Carrot) Root Extract, Dimethicone, Euterpe Oleracea Fruit Extract, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium
Chloride, Hyaluronic Acid, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch, Hydrolyzed Oat Protein,
Hydrolyzed Silk, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Macrocystis Pyrifera Extract, Panax Ginseng Root Extract,
Panthenol, Polyquaternium-24, Propylene Glycol, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Leaf Extract, Sodium
Hyaluronate, Spirulina Maxima Extract, Swertia Japonica Extract, Symphytum Officinale Leaf Extract,
Wheat Amino Acids, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Fragrance(Parfum), Ext. Violet
2 (CI 60730), Red 33 (CI 17200), Amyl Cinnamal, Benzyl salicylate, Limonene, Linalool.

Wen Sweet Almond Mint Cleansing Conditioner

Sweet Almond Mint: Water, Aloe Vera Gel, Glycerin, Chamomile Extract, Cherry Bark Extract, Calendula Extract, Rosemary Extract, Behentrimonium Chloride, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Cetyl Alcohol, Emulsifying Wax, Panthenol, Trimethylsilylamodimethicone, Hydrolyzed Whole Wheat Protein, PEG-60, Almond Glycerides, Menthol, Essential Oils, Citric Acid, Methylchoroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Fragrance.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Frequent Contributor

Hi Golfcartrider,

I am a Wen user and I love it. It has worked better for me than any other product I've tried (though I have never tried Nick Chavez). I can only give you an an account of my personal hair story. I have been coloring, blow drying, and flat ironing my hair since I was 14. I have even had it stripped once or twice. I am 30 years old now. The damage that I did to my hair was horrifying. Not to mention other natural isssues (oily scalp). Last year, my hair was at the worst it's ever been - I have to say, it was disgusting. I had to put it up in a bun or ponytail all the time. I bought every drugstore brand I thought could possibly help me - Pantene, Herbal Essences, Dove, Loreal, Head and Shoulders, etc...and rotated them for a few months. Nothing helped me, and on top of it, none of these products would rinse out clean. There was always a nasty film on my scalp and at the roots.

This past March I ordered the Wen TSV. I was desperate to try anything else that might help. I have used Wen exclusively since then and I have NEVER gotten so many compliments on my hair. The shine, the silkiness, the softness. I am still learning how and which CCs to use, but it has been totally worth it.

I was at brunch with my three sisters a few weeks ago. Two out of the four of us use Wen, and we received multiple compliments on our hair for the hour and a half we were there. My other two sisters did not.

If you are unsure, maybe you should give both a try and see which one works best for you. Good luck. And sorry for the long post.

Respected Contributor

I don't use WEN. I don't have any interest in trying WEN. I don't care how anyone else feels about WEN. I have been using Nick's products for some time now, and I can't see how it would be possible for anything to do a better job with my hair. My hair is short and very white. It shines like new silver with Nick's products. When I have run out for a short time and use something else it's not the same. My hair goes dull.

I have three daughters, all blondes, who uses Nick's products also, and their hair looks as good as any of the WEN models. This continues to the Granddaughters. They all report that there is a noticeable difference in their hair when they run out of Nick's shampoo/conditioner and they have to use "something else".

My hairdresser sells some very nice products, and I don't blame her for trying. I did buy some Argan Oil shampoo a couple of times, but again the result is nothing like I get with Nick's products. Bought up quite a few things on his last visit, and looking forward to getting them.

BTW, I wouldn't hesitate to use Nick's shampoo on my precious pup, but WEN will never touch his beautiful fuzz.

Honored Contributor
On 9/17/2014 golfcartrider said:
On 9/17/2014 JeanLouiseFinch said:

It doesn't surprise me at all that your stylist would tell you not to use WEN. First of all, you have to question why she's saying that. Has she only read about WEN or does she really know and understand what it is? Unless a person understands Chaz Dean's theory/philosophy and how WEN works, they will believe the same notion as every other skeptic out there who says you need to have lather in order to cleanse anything....well, that's just not true. How many of us out there who use cleansing oils on our faces? They don't lather, but provide a beautiful result. Secondly, part of a salon's/stylist's income is retail sales. They buy product from a supply house or account rep for around 1/2 of what a client purchases it from the salon for. The markup is pure profit. Since WEN is only sold in limited ways and not available to salons they way the other big name brands are, of course your stylist wants you to buy something that's going to help her own bottom line. WEN is formulated from botanicals and oils that nourish and cleanse the hair and scalp without lather and without the chemicals that will strip the hair and scalp and cause them to be dry, frizzy, broken, flakey, etc. Can a person use both Nick Chavez and WEN? Of course, a person can do anything they want. However, it's my own personal opinion that it's doesn't make sense to do so. WEN isn't cheap, but it works. IMO, if a person is going to use it then use it the way it's intended or don't complain when you don't get the expected results. But why would someone want the conditioning properties of WEN, but then undo all the good by using shampoo? To me, it's like you're either all in or don't bother...but that's me. Other people do just as you have suggested, shampoo with one product and condition with WEN. To cleanse with Nick Chavez shampoo and condition with WEN makes WEN nothing more than an expensive conditioner. That's how I feel now. Could I change my mind somewhere along the line? Sure I could. Right now I have the luxury of being able to use WEN exclusively, but maybe one day I won't. If I do change my opinion though, it would be because of the cost, not because of the actual product and how it works.

About the cost, it is expensive but I see it on an infomercial much cheaper is it the same product?

Yes and no. The product sold on the infomercial isn't exactly the same as what's sold QVC or at Chaz' salon. The informercial version is required to have ingredients that comply with international requirements because the Guthy-Renker infomercial is seen all over the world. That said, the differences in ingredients are negligible. The one thing you want to be careful of with the infomercial is that you might get that first shipment pretty cheap, but the second you buy it you're automatically signed up for an auto-delivery plan and your credit card is charged that amount EVERY month. I've read that people have had a terrible time trying to cancel.

Frequent Contributor

Is it me or does it seem like those who don't use Wen (and have never tried it) have some sort of vendetta against it? The anti-Wen posts sound really harsh and angry. I don't think I have ever seen a pro-Wen poster sound so angry and nasty when talking about the competitors. What's up with that??

Why can't everyone just like what they like and not be so snarky about other products?

Super Contributor

OP, I would recommend that you try both products yourself. Everyone's hair is different, and both lines have loyal users, so most of the replies are going to tell you to use whatever line they use, including me. Smiley Happy

You can buy travel sizes of Nick's line at Ulta, and maybe you can get sample/travel sizes of WEN to try as well. I've been using Nick's products for 15 years now, and my hair is really healthy and shiny, which wasn't the case when I started using his line back then.

Someone posted about the ingredients in each product -- I don't find the alcohol in Nick's products prominent nor do they damage or dry out my hair in any way.

Again, people can only post their own experience, and hair differs so much from person to person. Best wishes to you, and I hope you find what you're looking for.

Janice

Valued Contributor

I was sneering @ the hype of WEN products too, until I tried them. I have middle-aged hair that became wiry, dry, straw-like & unmanageable. The first time I used WEN, my son said, "Mom! When did you get a perm?!" The WEN moisturized my straw-like, wiry hair & created waves & curls to it that were never able to occur before using WEN.

That made me a believer. I've tried Nick's products & yes, like them too--but they didn't fix my hair issues like the WEN did. I do use a clarifying shampoo from time to time (sorry, Chaz!) If somebody tried to take my WEN away now, I'd have to hurt them, lol! I like my soft, young-again hair too much.

SerenityNow!
"Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her; still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings." ~Victor Hugo