Frequent Contributor

Those of you, who are using the WEN kids or have tried them, how do you think they compare with the core formulas? I still haven't tried them and now that I have a core I really like (BGT), I'm not sure I'll get around to trying them, though a lot of reviews are pretty positive. How do the kids formulas compare to BGT, since they are all rice based?

Honored Contributor

I love love love the kids formula. I love that there is no menthol so the scent doesn't have that medicinal smell ( it actually smells good) and there is no tingle or cool feeling. They work great on my hair but I do occasionally need a moisture boost so every 3-4 cleanses I'll make sure I use TT or Fig for my second cleanse. I wish he would come out with higher moisture kids CC so I never had to use the menthol formulas if I don't want to.

The kids aren't comparable to BGT IMO, due to BGT having the tea extract blend, the extra aminos ( which my hair only tolerates occasionally) and the bamboo water. The fact that they are both rice based makes no difference IMO.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Frequent Contributor

Thanks, jaxs mom. Yes the menthol bothers me a little, too. I'm not allergic but it stings my eyes. I find that of all the ones I've actually tried BGT works best, but is there a kids formula that you find more moisturizing than the others, or are they all about the same?

Respected Contributor

No menthol and the apple and watermelon smells like jolly rancher candies.

Honored Contributor

I find all three of the kids are basically the same on my hair.

Respected Contributor
I have used all three of the Wen kids formulas. They all seem to work about the same, but the strawberry banana seems a little heavier for some reason. They are not moisture packed cc's, but they are not drying in my opinion. They are very light formulas that rinse easily. They give the hair volume because they are so light. I like to use them as my first cleanse when I use them. I usually follow with a seasonal or BGT.
Smiley Happy Hilary
Wen girl for 10 years!!
Honored Contributor

I agree with Hilary that they aren't drying at all. They aren't on the same moisture level of Fig but they aren't drying.

Honored Contributor

I'm the odd woman out here. I bought the Strawberry Banana and Watermelon. I can't exactly put my finger on it, but I just have never been happy with the results. I've been trying to use up off and on, when I know I'm just staying home, but after more than a year, I looked at those bottles today and said, "Oh, heck with it" and I tossed them (*gasp*). I have so many bottles of other formulas in my stash that I WANT to use, it just didn't make sense for me to hang on to them.

Respected Contributor
I found the watermelon formula drying, but I notice that it doesn't seem as bad if I just use it for the first cleanse. My hair was so dry from it, I haven't had the guts to use it again on both cleanses and the leave in.
Happy WEN Girl since 1/12/2012
Frequent Contributor

Thank you, all, for the info and tips! I think I'll give them a try since I'm skipping the gallon, this time around.