Occasional Contributor

I couldn't help but note some blogger bashing because someone was a first time blogger and was telling some negative things that occured when using the WEN hair products.

Well this is my first time post, however the tragic event of hair loss is not something to take lightly. I used Wen products since May 2018 and loved them. However 1 month ago my hair first started breaking and then falling out. When I shower my hands are filled with hair that is falling out. There wouldn't have been a class action law suit if women had not had these tragic effects. Because you have not experienced it feel yourself lucky. I do think that QVC should think twice about carrying products when they do find out about such side effects, if even on only a % of the users. After consulting a professional in the hair care business, I found out that because these products build up in your hair, they actually clog the pore of the hair and thus causes it's death. Not fun.

Have some empathy and listen rather than bash. I have big shoulders so if your a basher God Bless.That won't change the effects these products had on myself or others. 

Respected Contributor

@Neen2 Welcome to the boards! I'm a WEN user myself, about 5 years now, no problems for me (except the cost, lol!). My hair follicles have never been clogged, nor have I ever experienced any buildup, and I use several WEN products besides the cleansing conditioner.

Just my opinion here...but I think a lot of WEN users are sensitive to the criticism because it started looonnnnggg before there were hair loss issues in the news. People bashed Chaz, the amount of product used, the fact that he recommended cold water rinses, just everything! And I don't really know why, but they are entitled to their opinion, of course. Then some people started calling WEN users stupid--and other not-nice things--for paying the prices, and using the products, even though no one forced anyone to either buy or use the products! And it just escalated. So when the hair loss issues came to light, well, that was just more ammunition.

I don't doubt for a minute that some people have legitimate issues from using WEN...it happens with every product. I'm really sorry that people lost their hair, it's very traumatic. I had major issues with Pantene products, including horrible thick, greasy scales on my scalp. But I didn't sue Pantene, nor do I tell others they are stupid for using it. I simply stopped using it myself.

I have said it before on these boards...if QVC and other retailers stopped selling every beauty product that caused problems for some people, there would be nothing left for us to buy! Any number of "beauty" companies have been sued for causing reactions...WEN is not the only one. 

Hope you have found something that works well for you!

Honored Contributor

@Neen2  I'm sorry this happened to you.  I used WEN successfully for 8 years, but I did not take it with me for my visits to the professionals who cut and style me.  That meant my scalp was cleansed every 3 or 4 weeks.

I know that's a no-no for some WEN users, but it worked for me.

I also know that it's not just WEN some medical professionals will warn about to some of us -  it's any similar product you can buy at the drugstore or your salon.  Lots of sulfate-free products out there.

I know hair loss like yours hurts because last spring I was given a new drug by an endocrinologist and within 2 months, I had those handfuls of hair and two very evident balding spots.  I stopped the drug and I use haircare of the sort I used for 50 years in the past.  It's taken 6 months, but there has been a very noticeable improvement in my hair.  I guess I could go back to WEN or something similar, but right now I'm okay without it.

Hoping you see similar improvement.

Occasional Contributor

Dear Vermint,

Thanks for the reply. Glad to see you have empathy and understanding. Thanks again. Neen2

Honored Contributor

@Neen2 wrote:

I couldn't help but note some blogger bashing because someone was a first time blogger and was telling some negative things that occured when using the WEN hair products.

Well this is my first time post, however the tragic event of hair loss is not something to take lightly. I used Wen products since May 2018 and loved them. However 1 month ago my hair first started breaking and then falling out. When I shower my hands are filled with hair that is falling out. There wouldn't have been a class action law suit if women had not had these tragic effects. Because you have not experienced it feel yourself lucky. I do think that QVC should think twice about carrying products when they do find out about such side effects, if even on only a % of the users. After consulting a professional in the hair care business, I found out that because these products build up in your hair, they actually clog the pore of the hair and thus causes it's death. Not fun.

Have some empathy and listen rather than bash. I have big shoulders so if your a basher God Bless.That won't change the effects these products had on myself or others. 

@Neen2  Also a huge welcome from me. Looking forward to your contributions whether yay or nay.

Re: WEN. I did experience similar issues with this “shampoo”. Besides some thinning, another thing that bothered me was Chaz’s insistence that the system does not work without the styling cream, oils, mousse, etc. I have curly hair and the build up of product made my hair fall flat.

Another poster said shampoos without sulfates also can cause clogged hair follicles. I disagree. I have used sulfate free shampoo for many years. It’s necessary to maintain color treated hair (when I dyed my hair), but more importantly for women with curls since sulfates are quite drying. Curly hair is drier than other hair types and requires a lot of extra conditioning. WEN, if I remember correctly also has silicones which coat and will weigh down most hair.

So, your post has merit. Others feel the same and there are  also many die hard WEN users that will dispute any negative claims. Your opinion and experience is just that...yours. They are just as valid as anyone else’s. 

Trusted Contributor

@Neen2: I'm so very sorry this is happening to you. I hope you can get your hair growing again.

I have had no problems since I started in 2012 and sure hope QVC does not quit selling Wen.

I have issues with some other products QVC sells, although admittedly not as serious but serious for me, but don’t wish to deprive others.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: WEN Hair Products

[ Edited ]

@millieshops wrote:

@Neen2  I'm sorry this happened to you.  I used WEN successfully for 8 years, but I did not take it with me for my visits to the professionals who cut and style me.  That meant my scalp was cleansed every 3 or 4 weeks.

I know that's a no-no for some WEN users, but it worked for me.

I also know that it's not just WEN some medical professionals will warn about to some of us -  it's any similar product you can buy at the drugstore or your salon.  Lots of sulfate-free products out there.

I know hair loss like yours hurts because last spring I was given a new drug by an endocrinologist and within 2 months, I had those handfuls of hair and two very evident balding spots.  I stopped the drug and I use haircare of the sort I used for 50 years in the past.  It's taken 6 months, but there has been a very noticeable improvement in my hair.  I guess I could go back to WEN or something similar, but right now I'm okay without it.

Hoping you see similar improvement.

@millieshops  cleansing my scalp on occassion works best for me, too- once or twice a week I use a sulfate free shampoo/conditioner. Other times it's Wen tea tree cc for me!

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Neen2 wrote:

@Neen2  Also a huge welcome from me. Looking forward to your contributions whether yay or nay.

Re: WEN. I did experience similar issues with this “shampoo”. Besides some thinning, another thing that bothered me was Chaz’s insistence that the system does not work without the styling cream, oils, mousse, etc. I have curly hair and the build up of product made my hair fall flat.

Another poster said shampoos without sulfates also can cause clogged hair follicles. I disagree. I have used sulfate free shampoo for many years. It’s necessary to maintain color treated hair (when I dyed my hair), but more importantly for women with curls since sulfates are quite drying. Curly hair is drier than other hair types and requires a lot of extra conditioning. WEN, if I remember correctly also has silicones which coat and will weigh down most hair.

So, your post has merit. Others feel the same and there are  also many die hard WEN users that will dispute any negative claims. Your opinion and experience is just that...yours. They are just as valid as anyone else’s. 

I don't recall Chaz ever stating that you must use the styling products in order for the cleanser to work. I use no WEN styling products and I do use the cleanser-with great results.

Of course, everyone is different. I cannot use the iconic maybelline mascara in the pink and green tube. It makes my eyes swell shut. I know it is great for millons of other people. The same holds true for every other product out there.  Some will have adverse reactions. Some will not. 

We all just need to do what is best for our own bodies.

Trusted Contributor

@millieshops: I also don’t take my product with me to the hairdresser. My hair is wash and wear which she knows so I just say I want to just put my hair in place and fine walking out with wet hair. She wants to put too much kwap in my hair which I know she is also trying to sell. And I hate how my hair looks when blown out. Hate it!!

I immediately come home and wash my hair and put a bit of styling cream and let air dry.

Honored Contributor

@Sadiesadie wrote:

@millieshops: I also don’t take my product with me to the hairdresser. My hair is wash and wear which she knows so I just say I want to just put my hair in place and fine walking out with wet hair. She wants to put too much kwap in my hair which I know she is also trying to sell. And I hate how my hair looks when blown out. Hate it!!

I immediately come home and wash my hair and put a bit of styling cream and let air dry.

@Sadiesadie   A tad off-subject, but my salon charges extra if you want a blow dry. What? Don’t they want to check the cut or color? Just include the amount in the price and be upfront.