Super Contributor

WEN - Amount of Product Per Wash?

For anyone out there that uses WEN, do you all use the multiple pumps that Chaz talks about?  I wash my hair daily (sometimes twice) and plan to use the TSV as a deep treatment for my hair while also using it as a wash, but just can't get on board with the idea of using all those pumps of product.

For those that use less, but cleanse more often, what has your experience been?

Honored Contributor

Re: WEN - Amount of Product Per Wash?

Not really.  It took me several tries to figure out how much I needed and what I needed to do for my hair.  I have fine hair, but a decent amount of it.  But I do more of the WEN for both cleansing and conditioning then I used with regular shampoo.

It also depends on which formula I use as to how much of it I use.  Some formulas I use less, others more.

Respected Contributor

I have thin chin length hair so I use about a golf ball size (or a bit less) for both 1st and 2nd cleanse.  I wash my hair everyother day.  If I only do one cleanse my hair is greasy day 2.  ALso, not sure I buy into the leave in part.  Tried just a drop or two but still on the fence.  Can't imagine using a whole pump for leave in!! 

I also use Tweaked Above the CLouds altenately with WEN.  Not sure if that is a good idea BUT i need to use up my stash!!  I like both.  Tweaked leaves my hair cleaner looking day 2 but it seems to leave a film on my scalp.  

Over all if I had to pick one it would be WEN.

Esteemed Contributor

If you have to Use More =  You'll have to Buy More = More $$$ in the bank account. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@minimalistWF wrote:

For anyone out there that uses WEN, do you all use the multiple pumps that Chaz talks about?  I wash my hair daily (sometimes twice) and plan to use the TSV as a deep treatment for my hair while also using it as a wash, but just can't get on board with the idea of using all those pumps of product.

I have thinner hair jaw length...very curly.  And I must wash daily only 1 time.  I use from the 32oz bottle 2 pumps or a little less at most.  I do leave in a tiny amount...about a dime on the ends and this really helps my frizzy curly hair for the blow dry/styling.  

HTH

Edit: wanted to add that it takes me a long time to go thur a 32oz bottle....I use no where near what is recommended and the product works well for me.

Esteemed Contributor

what  -  What?

You plan to cut the volume and increase the frequency?

Ok, just promise me when you're getting poor results you'll call the number on the bottle, or email Chaz's customer service.

Here, add this to your contacts.

customerservice@chazdean

com

There have been plenty of first time WEN users asking similar questions.

Feel free to search out newbie questions on the WEN forum.

Wishing you well, @minimalistWF .

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@minimalistWF 

If you don't use it as directed you will not like it.  I don't know the length & textur of your hair, but my hair is short, med-thick, curly.  I use 9 pumps from a 32 oz. bottle for my first cleanse & 9 pumps for my 2nd cleanse (the newer pumps pump out more product, so with the newer pumps I use 6-7 pumps each cleanse).

I'm going on 9 years, next month, as a WEN girl & the worst mistakes you can make is to:

1). Not use enough

2) Not use enough splashes of water to make it frothy (I run my head quickly under the shower & it gets quite frothy)

3). Cleanse only once instead of twice - TRUST ME ON THIS ONE; I thought I could get away with it in my early days...NO

4). Not rinse enough

Now, after 9 years I know how much I need without counting pumps, or balls or however others may measure, but as a newbie, if you don't use it as Chaz directs, you won't like it.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

I cleanse every night, because I exercise daily and get sweaty all over, including my scalp, so I shower before bed.  I have collarbone-length, very fine permed hair.  I use six pumps from a 32 ounce WEN bottle for the first cleanse, and five for the second cleanse.  I find that the biggest reason that relatively large amount works for me is that I do add in a significant splash of warm water and really work up a creamy foam before I rinse it out.  If I had much thicker hair, I expect I would need 9 or more pumps to fully distribute it through my hair, but since it's fine, 6 is enough.   Everyone needs to experiment a little to find the right amount for their hair type and density, and it is absolutely better to start out with too much than too little.  The reason it takes more WEN to cleanse hair than it takes of shampoo is that the WEN is using natural ingredients and botanical extracts, not petroleum-based soaps!  That soap is very effective, but it strips the cuticle of the hair and damages the hair shaft itself.  Sodium lauryl sulfate is very powerful, a little goes a long way, and it is used to break down proteins and DNA in biological experiments, so shampoos with sulfates like that in them are very effective at removing dirt, oil and pollutants, as well as deliberately applied hair products, but they leave damaged, stripped hair in their wake.  WEN cleans just as well, but more gently, so you need more product to fully distribute, coat, and cleanse the hair.  I hope, if you do try WEN, that you give it a fair trial and experiment with how much to use, so that you can get good results.  I will never give up using WEN, it has made such a huge and wonderful difference in my hair!   If I had to go back to shampoo for some horrible reason, I'd cut all my hair off and wear it in a pixie cut or shorter, so the damage done by shampoo was constantly being cut off.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@minimalistWF wrote:

@minimalistWF 

I am a 9 year Wen lover.  My fine, but plentiful hair is stronger, more healthy, and shiner than ever.

I cleanse every other day, wash/ rinse, wash/rinse again, and use about 1/2 a golf ball per cycle.  That amount is perfect for my hair.

My loves are Tea Tree - First cycle, Lilac, Summer Honey Peach, Bamboo Green Tea - second cycle.

best Wishes.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras