Honored Contributor

WAXING AND RETIN A?

[ Edited ]

When I had my brows groomed for the first time time a few years ago (posted here), they had to tweeze because waxing when using Retin A  she said it could take a layer of skin. Wondering, if by now, there's a newer waxing system for brows, upper lip, chin, sideburns, etc. I've been using that little shaver (3 pk. from Amazon), but stubble appears in a few days.

I had my facial hair lasered years ago, but now the annoying hairs are too light. TMI, but DD had entire body lasered...looks like a 10 yr. old. She's always in the gym w/ those short shorts, runs, on vacation in swimsuits, early to work by 7 and said she just couldn't be bothered w/ shaving every day. Interested in your experiences.

Thanks.

Honored Contributor

@ShanusIt would be good news to me if there is some new product because when I want my brows done, I stop the retinal 10 days ahead of time.  I thought I'd been avoiding my eyelids all along one time and, no, I wasn't!

Honored Contributor

Re: WAXING AND RETIN A?

[ Edited ]

@Shanus 

I've never had any waxing done, ever. I had all hair, from my cheek bones down, permanently lasered away years ago...yup, that place down there, too. I did it because of a medical condition I have which makes my skin itch like crazy and also because I can't hold a razor safely to get the job done. If I had any white or gray hairs on my face then I would inquire about electrolysis. That will permanently remove those hairs. Another method used to remove white hair is with RF (radio frequency). 

Retin-A should be stopped at least 3 days ahead of time and then start back on it after 3 days post treatments when lasers are used.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Shanus 

I've never had any waxing done, ever. I had all hair, from my cheek bones down, permanently lasered away years ago...yup, that place down there, too. I did it because of a medical condition I have which makes my skin itch like crazy and also because I can't hold a razor safely to get the job done. If I had any white or gray hairs on my face then I would inquire about electrolysis. That will permanently remove those hairs. Another method used to remove white hair is with RF (radio frequency). 

Retin-A should be stopped at least 3 days ahead of time and then start back on it after 3 days post treatments when lasers are used.

@SilleeMee   Should have known could have counted on you for a solution...Will check into the RF laser. Planning on getting a laser treatment on face/chest over the winter for dark spots and red precancerous areas. Perhaps the hair removal can be done at same time. Thanks.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@ShanusIt would be good news to me if there is some new product because when I want my brows done, I stop the retinal 10 days ahead of time.  I thought I'd been avoiding my eyelids all along one time and, no, I wasn't!

Good morning @millieshops . I used to used to use Nair (a mild, facial version), but after awhile that also became irritating. I also did bleaching, at home, but as I've gotten older, another happy surprise, more "face fur" to deal with so I just ended up with a lot of blonde facial hair. I think the laser may be the way to go. 

Honored Contributor

Re: WAXING AND RETIN A?

[ Edited ]

@Shanus 

If you use copper peptides on your face, that may encourage hair growth. I was using Isomers CP serum for a long time. Then I noticed more facial fuzz. That's when I found out CP was the reason why. CPs are actually used in several brands of hair growth products to make hair grow. I no longer use CP on my face.

About facial peach fuzz...most lasers do not remove it successfully. Vellus hair contains very little pigment making them 'invisible' to laser light. Laser hair removal might reduce it slightly but don't expect it to be completely eliminated.

Honored Contributor

@ShanusI had an eyelid and browlift procedure near the end of August and am still with some slight swelling and tightness which is normal for this time period.  

I haven't played with my brows for all this time and I'm cave woman at this point.  But last week when I asked the surgeon if I could do a brow wax, the answer was not yet.  Have to see him again in a few weeks -  will ask about laser at that time.  Might be a good deal for me - I can see to drive without glasses, but I can't do much close-up without glasses which makes dealing with facial hair extra difficult.  

Thanks for starting this discussion.

Respected Contributor

This post made me LOL as it reminded me of time several years ago when a friend of mine, a long time Retin A user had her eyebrows waxed and came back with a wound between her eyebrows!   It looked awful.  She never thought to tell the tech about her Retin A use and the tech did not ask---OUCH.

She only uses 2-3 times a week but it was enough to cause skin loss.

I never forgot this lesson even though I do not use RA or wax!!

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Shanus 

If you use copper peptides on your face, that may encourage hair growth. I was using Isomers CP serum for a long time. Then I noticed more facial fuzz. That's when I found out CP was the reason why. CPs are actually used in several brands of hair growth products to make hair grow. I no longer use CP on my face.

About facial peach fuzz...most lasers do not remove it successfully. Vellus hair contains very little pigment making them 'invisible' to laser light. Laser hair removal might reduce it slightly but don't expect it to be completely eliminated.

@SilleeMee   Don't use any hair growth products. Didn't know lasers did not work on peach fuzz. I'm not comfortable having my face "shaved" w/ a scalpel which is offered as an add-on at my medi spa. 

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@ShanusI had an eyelid and browlift procedure near the end of August and am still with some slight swelling and tightness which is normal for this time period.  

I haven't played with my brows for all this time and I'm cave woman at this point.  But last week when I asked the surgeon if I could do a brow wax, the answer was not yet.  Have to see him again in a few weeks -  will ask about laser at that time.  Might be a good deal for me - I can see to drive without glasses, but I can't do much close-up without glasses which makes dealing with facial hair extra difficult.  

Thanks for starting this discussion.

@millieshops   Wishing you a speedy recovery w/ wonderful results.