Honored Contributor

WATCH A DAY OF BEAUTY AND BECOME INSECURE

I've been watching some of the beauty shows over the last few weeks and they can be quite depressing if someone is not secure.

We're made to believe our faces are too hairy, but heads need products to thicken hair or expensive helmets to grow hair.

Wrinkle creams, thoat and neck creams, undereye  hydrators, brightners and concealers abound.

Our feet are calloused, bodies dry and too pale and needing to be buffed, exfoliated and tanned. 

....And we haven't even gotten to makeup yet. Our faces need contouring because the shape God gave us is not good enough. Add some full coverage foundation so skin is flawless and brow products ( some that look like Sharpie markers). Highlighters until we look a basted turkey and don't forget the confusion over natural color lips, red lips, pink or coral or purchase a set of 6...three of which never look great.

I'm happy I know what looks well on me and what doesn't need to be whipped into perfection. It didn't happen over night. Vogue has not called yet for me to do a cover. If they ever do, the photographers can work their magic. 

Respected Contributor

Re: WATCH A DAY OF BEAUTY AND BECOME INSECURE

This is why young girls have problems with their body image.  They have to "keep up with the Kardashians" or they don't fit in.  I think we have all gone through feeling insecure about our bodies (Twiggy was the big thing in my day).  Just need to be secure in yourself and realize we all don't have fabulous bodies or the perfect face.   I'm sure if I had the money, I would probably get something that bothers me fixed though.    

Honored Contributor

That's exactly how they want you to feel so you'll buy their products. 

Respected Contributor

Why I don't watch any of the beauty shows. I wear light makeup, use ponds moustirizer and clean my face with makeup remover wipes. That all being said my mom had great skin and mine is pretty good. The money I could spend on products may make me look a little younger and better but they're so expensive and time consuming and I'm not that high maintenance. I don't look good with lots of makeup anyway. I have naturally curly hair and because I live where it's very humid I wear it natural most days. I'm even growing out my gray hair for maybe 8 months now. My husband loves me and my gray and I try to love myself. I used to be into coloring my hair when I was young started in my teens and I loved makeup. Now that I'm older I much prefer to spend my time on other things rather than all that. 

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

This is why young girls have problems with their body image.  They have to "keep up with the Kardashians" or they don't fit in.  I think we have all gone through feeling insecure about our bodies (Twiggy was the big thing in my day).  Just need to be secure in yourself and realize we all don't have fabulous bodies or the perfect face.   I'm sure if I had the money, I would probably get something that bothers me fixed though.    

I agree that the younger girls today are confused and insecure. It truly bothers me more now that I have 2 young granddaughters. The 8 yr. old already wants to see YouTube makeup videos. No telling what issues that generation will have to face. I hope a lot of them are majoring in psychiatry. Lol

Honored Contributor

@Bonanzajellybean wrote:

That's exactly how they want you to feel so you'll buy their products. 

It's not working on me. In fact, it's having the opposite effect. I'm realizing that it's all the same stuff in different packaging.

Honored Contributor

@Lali1 wrote:

Why I don't watch any of the beauty shows. I wear light makeup, use ponds moustirizer and clean my face with makeup remover wipes. That all being said my mom had great skin and mine is pretty good. The money I could spend on products may make me look a little younger and better but they're so expensive and time consuming and I'm not that high maintenance. I don't look good with lots of makeup anyway. I have naturally curly hair and because I live where it's very humid I wear it natural most days. I'm even growing out my gray hair for maybe 8 months now. My husband loves me and my gray and I try to love myself. I used to be into coloring my hair when I was young started in my teens and I loved makeup. Now that I'm older I much prefer to spend my time on other things rather than all that. 

Good for you. I feel the same way...even down to accepting my grey hair & natural curls. 💕

Trusted Contributor

And let's not forget that most of the hosts and beauty reps have had work done to look youthful.....  If all those promises the beauty reps make, like erasing wrinkles, lifting the skin etc... actually worked, then they would not need to  have the work done that they do....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It seems to me that it only is quite depressing if you allow it to be and can't see how it relates to insecurity.  Those that proclaim this could also be seen as really insecure but trying to convince themselves that they don't need any products to help with what happens to most of us.  I know I have face hair and want to get rid of it.  I had thinning hair and found products to help because you don't have to accept it or make excuses that you like the natural thinning hair look!!  I have found so many products that have improved my skin and made it feel and look much better.  The emjoi has helped with my rough and dry feet and that makes me feel great!  I love my makeup and definitely am not insecure.  To use the excuse that what God gave us should be good enough appears to be just a cop out and if that were the case why wear clothing as what God gave us should be good enough!!!  If you don't like products to help with issues then just say so and don'try to insult those of us who like to make positive changes for our own benefit!!!  Some might say those that choose not to buy and use products to improve their hair, skin, etc are just plain too lazy to  even try and have just given up as they age!!! Please note this is not my personal belief just stating that for those that keep saying anyone who uses any inhancing products is insecure!!!  

Honored Contributor

I think all women and especially young women want to be perceived as physically beautiful. I agree the beauty shows go a little too far sometime We need to teach our young girls to put what is being sold into perspective. Also, teaching our girls about being healthy, smart and independent, instead of just wanting to be thin and blemish free.