Regular Contributor
Any recommendations? I have a lot of sun damage. Thanks!
Honored Contributor

@erichu 

Aloha!  I currently rotate between Paula's Choice Vitamin C booster, Peter Thomas Roth Vitamin C & Josie Maran's Vitamin C.

1) Paula's Choice - my go to because I use mainly her line.  It's thin & absorbs quickly.

2) PTR - his new Potent C Power Serum.  I really like the texture; not as liquidy as PC; more of a lotion.

3) Josie Maran - a true Vitamin C oil.  I love it for the hydration; sometimes I mix 1/2 JM with 1/2 PC.

They all work well; right now I seem to go more for PTR, but like them all.  I see results because I use it consistently, regardless of which one I use.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Esteemed Contributor

See a reputable Dermatologist. He/she will provide excellent help.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

Serious Skin Care vitamin c pads (60) - brightened complexion and faded discoloration for me. 

Serious Skin Care 60-count Vitamin C Ester Pre-Soaked Pads

Esteemed Contributor

You'll get as many recommendations as there are posters on this board.  We all have our favorites.

Mine is:   Amara Beauty Vitamin C serum (AmaraBeauty dot com).  I've been on auto-ship for over 2 years because I absolutely love all their products.    They also have Vitamin C cleanser and cream.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

Mad Hippie Vitamin C Serum is an excellent and affordable option, IMO. I stopped using it only because the Skinn Age Reset Serum I’m faithful to has five different forms of encapsulated Vitamin C besides all the other good stuff in there. As much as I liked the Mad Hippie, i felt it was something I didn’t need.  Their Vitamin A Serum is good too, IMO.

Beauty YouTuber Angie (Hot ‘n’ Flashy) recommends Timeless Vitamin C - get it from Amazon.

Honored Contributor

Re: Vitamin c treatment

[ Edited ]

Good morning @erichu . As you can see, each woman has a Vit. C product that works for her. Vit. C improves and protects brightness and texture of skin, but does not fade or correct existing sun damage. I'd speak to your derm, but I'd recommend a regimen of Vit.C serum in the morning (must follow w/ a high SPF) and a retinol or Retin A + a bleaching product at night (I use Obagi).

The serum should be used within 3 months or most become oxidized (turn from clear to yellowish brown) & lose effectiveness. They can begin at 10%, 15% and go to 20%. Cost can also be a concern. My Skinceuticals serum went to $166!!!! I changed to Obagi Professional C serum 20%...about 1/2 the price. I see no difference from the Skinceuticals. 

I would get a professional opinion depending on your skin type, age, severity of the issue, etc. A good skincare routine will serve you well. 

Honored Contributor

I have always heard you need Vit. A, C, and E for your skin.

However, I believe a trip to a good dermatologist is the wisest way to spend money.  I also think inquiring about laser treatments is more productive.  

I don't think any of the OTC stuff is really very effectice and I don't think spending a lot of OTC gets you more than spending that same amount at the derm's office. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I have always heard you need Vit. A, C, and E for your skin.

However, I believe a trip to a good dermatologist is the wisest way to spend money.  I also think inquiring about laser treatments is more productive.  

I don't think any of the OTC stuff is really very effectice and I don't think spending a lot of OTC gets you more than spending that same amount at the derm's office. 

@Sooner    IMO, many OTC skincare products don't have the concentration of active ingredients to do the job. I'm not sure if they even state the % of Vit. C or Retinol in a product. A lot of the time, the active ingredient is the 5th or 6th one if listed...not much. 

Trusted Contributor

1st choice is Paula's Choice, then The Ordinary.