Respected Contributor

I recently bought the Timeless Vitamin C+E+Ferulic acid serum after reading many positive reviews on it and I'm liking it so far, although it's too early to see any results yet. The only thing that bugs me about it is the fact that there's a certain amount of pressure to use it up before it oxidizes. I've done what Angie (in Hot & Flashy YouTube videos) does, split the serum into two bottles, keeping one in the fridge while using the other one and I've even gone the extra step of wrapping foil around both bottles to keep the light out. Can any of you ladies recommend a more stable, less finicky product that will give me the same results without having to go through all that? Something in the same rice range would be nice too, given that the Timeless one is very reasonably priced.

Honored Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

I recently bought the Timeless Vitamin C+E+Ferulic acid serum after reading many positive reviews on it and I'm liking it so far, although it's too early to see any results yet. The only thing that bugs me about it is the fact that there's a certain amount of pressure to use it up before it oxidizes. I've done what Angie (in Hot & Flashy YouTube videos) does, split the serum into two bottles, keeping one in the fridge while using the other one and I've even gone the extra step of wrapping foil around both bottles to keep the light out. Can any of you ladies recommend a more stable, less finicky product that will give me the same results without having to go through all that? Something in the same rice range would be nice too, given that the Timeless one is very reasonably priced.

@Texasmouse The instabililty issue is something you'll always run into with a Vitamin C serum that's true L-Ascorbic Acid.  It's just the way it is, that it oxidizes easily within a couple of months.  You can find more stable forms of Vitamin C but they either be SAP or MAP.  When I was using a true Vitamin C serum, I was very happy with Mad Hippie Vitamin C Serum (SAP version).  You can read about it on the Mad Hippie site, but if you decide to try it look around the internet for better pricing (iHerb, Vitacost, eBay, Amazon, etc.).

Trusted Contributor
Hi!

What is SAP or MAP? I love the SCA Vit C caps but it gets expensive for me, so when I can afford them I use them. However, last summer I found 40 Carrots Vit C serum at Marshalls for $5.00, I use this everyday and I am very happy with this product. I have had no issues with oxidation. The only problem is sometimes they don't have it in stock, I usually pick up 2 at a time for that price. I know there are probably better products but i can't beat the price and feel it works well.
Honored Contributor

@NativeJax wrote:
Hi!

What is SAP or MAP? I love the SCA Vit C caps but it gets expensive for me, so when I can afford them I use them. However, last summer I found 40 Carrots Vit C serum at Marshalls for $5.00, I use this everyday and I am very happy with this product. I have had no issues with oxidation. The only problem is sometimes they don't have it in stock, I usually pick up 2 at a time for that price. I know there are probably better products but i can't beat the price and feel it works well.

@NativeJax

MAP is Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate
SAP is Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate

Respected Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

I have the Drunk Elephant brand.  It is packaged in an airless pump dispenser.  I believe that keeps it from oxidation.  It is way more expensive than Timeless.

I put Timeless in the refrigerator and discard it after 3 months.  It is so much less expensive that I figure it all works out!

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

Now I'm thinking I could further delay oxidation by putting the serum in an airless pump bottle. I currently have it in blue glass bottles but I'm wondering if the color of the bottle matters, whether it's blue or amber?

Trusted Contributor

Where would you get an airless pump bottle??

Esteemed Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

Now I'm thinking I could further delay oxidation by putting the serum in an airless pump bottle. I currently have it in blue glass bottles but I'm wondering if the color of the bottle matters, whether it's blue or amber?

I was never a proponent of transferring serums/creams because you are exposing them even further to more air & light. Plus, are your containers (whatever color bottles) sterilized? (Colored bottles to reduce light.) Chances are not, which then further compromises the original product.

Devita L-ascorbic (@ 17%) does not oxidize. But I realize that this form of vitamin C, though supposedly the "gold standard," may not be for everyone.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I too have been using Drunk Elephant Firma C.  Hands down, best C I have ever used.  More expensive than some, but results are so with it.  It lasts forever, doesn't "turn" like others I have used...both much cheaper and more expensive.  Quality,  results, ingredients, packaging which is incredible...can't imagine finding another holy grail C like this one.

Respected Contributor

@gonnab wrote:

Where would you get an airless pump bottle??

@gonnab

Specialty Bottles dot com has them. That's where I got the ones I'm using now (with dropper and with regular cap).