Respected Contributor

Re: Vitamin C serum - Cellex C opinions?

@UMDTerpFan, here is an article that addresses C and, in particular, compares Cellex C with Kellett C serum.  Kellett's makes Cellex look like a bargain.  However, Kellet's contains the very expensive, stable, and effective oil soluble C.

Cellex C was introduced way back in 1994.  I believe the ingredients remain the same.  You could say that is because they are effective (and they are) but there have been many developments in over twenty years.  There have also been many very good imitators for significantly less expense.  You can read about one in the comments section of that link.  I had forgotten about that knockoff.  I used to use it and loved it but they were having trouble sourcing ingredients and I moved on.  Cellex C is pretty good and straightforward but it oxidizes quickly like any straight on ascorbic acid.  There really is not a good reason to pay that much for ascorbic acid or any of the other ingredients in it.  They're very inexpensive.  

Would you ever consider making your own?  Here is a link to a kit from an excellent supplier.  You don't have to make it all at once.  The ingredients work out to less than $10 per ounce. That is with a markup to the suppler.  Just imagine what the wholesale cost is to the Cellex C lab on similar ingredients!

Honored Contributor

@NycVixen wrote:

@islandgrrl wrote:

@NycVixen wrote:

@islandgrrl wrote:

@NycVixen

I am crazy for Mad Hippie's Vitamin C serum for several reasons.  The main one being that I have a dark olive complexion and any small blemish will leave a mark.  This serum has completely evened out my skin tone (a first for me).  It has also helped to make my skin visibly smoother.  

So I panic when I start to run low! Cat Tongue

My Clarisonic, Vitamin C serum and argan oil are my 'can't live without' products.

@islandgrrl  Thanks so much for replying! I just read about it on their website and I'm going to order it. Please let me know where are the best places to buy it from. 

OMG! So, going on many years ago I tried Argan oil and Maracuya oil. I really like the maracuya more but for some reason I stopped using it. I have a very fair oily complexion that lately has been very sensitive for some reason. I decided to order a kit from Josie that has the argan oil and milk and I'm in love! My skin has a glow! and it's more plump and less irritated. I'm in love and plan to use it from now on. I love the milk in the am and the oil in the pm. 

I also get marks from blemishes but they tend to disappear faster than on my husband who also has an olive complexion. However, vitamin C helps give me a glow and to help keep my skin tone even as well. Thanks so much!

@NycVixen

You and I are skin care twins!  Argan oil and milk absolutely make my skin plump and glow.  LOVE them both.  Milk in the morning and oil in the evening.  I also like to remove eye make up with argan.  I use more or less as my skin needs it (tends to need a little moisture boost in the winter).

I think you will love your skin even more with Mad Hippie.  Be sure to let me know!

@islandgrrl  I just ordered it from Amazon!!! I was a bit worried since I had no vitamin C and this one is much cheaper and I love the ingredient deck. You came to the rescue!

Thanks again. I'll definitely let you know.

@NycVixen@islandgrrl  I'm jumping in here to add my praise for Mad Hippie Vitamin C Serum.  I also think it's got a really nice ingredient deck.  I was using it exclusively as my Vitamin C serum for a long time, reordered with regularity.  Then, several months ago I decided to give some Isomers products a try.  I ordered a TTV that was super inexpensive.  It included a large bottle (close to 2 oz.) of their Glutathiasome Serum that has MAP as an ingredient and usually sells for something like $150.  There's no way in anyone's imagination that I'd ever pay that kind of money, but to get it in that $50 TTV was a no brainer so I ordered and put it on auto delivery.  I didn't think I should be using two Vitamin C serums so I parted with Mad Hippie.  The bad thing is that I only use two items in that TTV.  They're sealed so I suppose I could donate them.  Truth be told, I think the Isomers serum is a very good product, but I have missed my old friend.

Respected Contributor

I just ordered it from Lovely skin for $82, they have it on sale.  I have never tried it, but always wanted to.  And since Paula's Choice has cancelled their sale, I figured now was the time to try.

There is such an interesting story behind it about a professor, an "eminent cell biologist at UW Madison, WI who devoted much of her career to unlocking the genetic mysteries of breast cancer and malignant melanoma".

In 1986 she learned women were putting Retin A on their skin and was "appalled" because she said it's "like a chemotherapy agent that causes cell hyperproliferation.  It causes resting cells to divide".  She felt it was pushing your luck to continue doing that indefinitely.  It also makes you more sensitive to the sun. 

Anyway, she explored the use of Vit C for topical use and came up with Cellex-C, tested it with amazing results on relatives.  According to the article, "she settled on a mixture of 10% C, with the mineral zinc and the amino acid tryosine.  You need all 3 for it to work - you can't just rub an orange on your skin".

At the time unfortunately, no one was interested in this "cosmetic" discovery in the science world, and eventually it was sold.  She did not like the high price of the product, but was hoping it would get massed produced and get cheaper. Not!

Don't know if she is still alive, the article was in 2000, but thought I would finally give it a try, as I live in WI and feel a little attachment to it's invention!  Will post how I like it.

Trusted Contributor

@Bella Carro wrote:

@UMDTerpFan, here is an article that addresses C and, in particular, compares Cellex C with Kellett C serum.  Kellett's makes Cellex look like a bargain.  However, Kellet's contains the very expensive, stable, and effective oil soluble C.

Cellex C was introduced way back in 1994.  I believe the ingredients remain the same.  You could say that is because they are effective (and they are) but there have been many developments in over twenty years.  There have also been many very good imitators for significantly less expense.  You can read about one in the comments section of that link.  I had forgotten about that knockoff.  I used to use it and loved it but they were having trouble sourcing ingredients and I moved on.  Cellex C is pretty good and straightforward but it oxidizes quickly like any straight on ascorbic acid.  There really is not a good reason to pay that much for ascorbic acid or any of the other ingredients in it.  They're very inexpensive.  

Would you ever consider making your own?  Here is a link to a kit from an excellent supplier.  You don't have to make it all at once.  The ingredients work out to less than $10 per ounce. That is with a markup to the suppler.  Just imagine what the wholesale cost is to the Cellex C lab on similar ingredients!

@Bella Carro, thanks for the link to the Lotioncrafters vitamin c kit. Do you think there is much difference between it and Skinactives DIY kit which is 20% and includes the following ingredients:

Mix Your Own:

Serum: Water, Glycerin, Hyaluronic Acid, Ferulic Acid, Phloretin, Pomegranate Seed (Punica granatum) Oil, Tocotrienols, Vitamin E Oil (Alpha-D-Tocopherol), Astaxanthin, Lycopene, Lutein, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Beta Carotene, Xanthan Gum, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Sorbic Acid.

Powder: Ascorbic Acid (L) (Vitamin C), Lemon (Citrus limon) Extract, Orange (Citrus sinensis) Extract.

Skinactives has the 20% DIY kit and a 15% premixed serum that runs $15.50 for 1 oz. I've used both but most recently the 20% DIY kit. My only issues with it were that the bottle always overflows and the powder clumps up and I can't get it to dissolve into a smooth, clear serum. Plus, I admit I'm a product junkie so I'm always looking for the next best & greatest product at a reasonable price of course! Do you use the Lotioncrafter brand? It's nice that their kit makes 6.85 ounces but I guess you couldn't make it all at one time or else you'd have to refrigerate it as it'll oxidize otherwise.

QVC lost a lot of my posts too!
Trusted Contributor

@Lannie wrote:

I just ordered it from Lovely skin for $82, they have it on sale.  I have never tried it, but always wanted to.  And since Paula's Choice has cancelled their sale, I figured now was the time to try.

There is such an interesting story behind it about a professor, an "eminent cell biologist at UW Madison, WI who devoted much of her career to unlocking the genetic mysteries of breast cancer and malignant melanoma".

In 1986 she learned women were putting Retin A on their skin and was "appalled" because she said it's "like a chemotherapy agent that causes cell hyperproliferation.  It causes resting cells to divide".  She felt it was pushing your luck to continue doing that indefinitely.  It also makes you more sensitive to the sun. 

Anyway, she explored the use of Vit C for topical use and came up with Cellex-C, tested it with amazing results on relatives.  According to the article, "she settled on a mixture of 10% C, with the mineral zinc and the amino acid tryosine.  You need all 3 for it to work - you can't just rub an orange on your skin".

At the time unfortunately, no one was interested in this "cosmetic" discovery in the science world, and eventually it was sold.  She did not like the high price of the product, but was hoping it would get massed produced and get cheaper. Not!

Don't know if she is still alive, the article was in 2000, but thought I would finally give it a try, as I live in WI and feel a little attachment to it's invention!  Will post how I like it.

@HerRoyaLioness, Thanks for the history of how this brand was developed. And thank you for the info on the sale at Lovely Skin. I quickly googled it  and aside from Lovely Skin and buying it on Ebay, it seemed to only be sold by a distributor in Canada. So that's disappointing if it was developed here in the US.

Please do post a review once you've used it. TIA

Respected Contributor

@UMDTerpFan wrote:

@HerRoyaLioness, Thanks for the history of how this brand was developed. And thank you for the info on the sale at Lovely Skin. I quickly googled it  and aside from Lovely Skin and buying it on Ebay, it seemed to only be sold by a distributor in Canada. So that's disappointing if it was developed here in the US.

UMDTerpFan - that would make sense, because a small Canadian company bought the rights to produce it.  The article says this initial success brought a rash of imitators and there are at least 100 patent infringement suits underway.  It also mentions it was usually bought through professional dermatologists and plastic surgeons, although I don't know if that is still true.  Too bad she couldn't have had more support in the beginning and been able to stay with it. I'm anxious to try it!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@UMDTerpFan, the SkinActives seems kind of odd to me.  They've got oils, water, water soluble but no solubilizers or emulsifiers.  I've never tried it.  Do you have to shake the daylights out of it before each use?  

Since I ran out of NCN I've been formulating my own with HA, Vit E, MAP, niacinimide,

N acetyl glutamine, and dionized water.  I've never bought the kit from LotionCrafters but have bought lots of ingredients from them.  I have everything on that list except the ascorbic and ferulic and those are due Monday along with some other cool stuff to play with.  I wanted to try formulating with the oil soluble Vit C, Tetrahexyldecyl ascorbyl but, yikes, it was something like $16 for a half gram.  I plan to only mix up enough for about three days or so at a time when using the ascorbic acid.  I may decide to give NuFountain a try again, too.  

Let us know what you decide and then don't forget to let us know how you like it!

Trusted Contributor

@Bella Carro wrote:

@UMDTerpFan, the SkinActives seems kind of odd to me.  They've got oils, water, water soluble but no solubilizers or emulsifiers.  I've never tried it.  Do you have to shake the daylights out of it before each use?  

Since I ran out of NCN I've been formulating my own with HA, Vit E, MAP, niacinimide,

N acetyl glutamine, and dionized water.  I've never bought the kit from LotionCrafters but have bought lots of ingredients from them.  I have everything on that list except the ascorbic and ferulic and those are due Monday along with some other cool stuff to play with.  I wanted to try formulating with the oil soluble Vit C, Tetrahexyldecyl ascorbyl but, yikes, it was something like $16 for a half gram.  I plan to only mix up enough for about three days or so at a time when using the ascorbic acid.  I may decide to give NuFountain a try again, too.  

Let us know what you decide and then don't forget to let us know how you like it!

@Bella Carro, thanks for all the info. I did try SkinActives several times and the biggest issue I had with the DIY kit was the powder clumping together, shake it like mad & still couldn't get it unclumped. They do offer a video showing how to mix it and when I watched it I realized I didn't mix it the way they showed. Their video shows the powder put into the container that holds the vitamin C base, shaking it well, then seems to indicate letting the two stay together in the holding container for 24 hours and then pouring it into the pump dispenser container. So I probably mixed it wrong by putting both the powder and serum base in the pump container and shaking. So I may give it another try once I am finished the OZ Naturals I am currently using. Or I may give the Lotioncrafters a go. I wouldn't mind mixing about an ounce at a time if they give instructions and measurements for smaller batches as I definitely would not want to make it all at one time.

How do you like the NuFountain? I have never tried that brand either.

I did stop using my vitamin C serum for about a week to 10 days and boy did I notice a difference in my skin, and not for the better either. I bought a serum and moisturizer of another brand and wanted to see if there were any improvements from that brand but my skin looked worse so I went back to the vitamin C serum and sent the other serum & moisturizer back. So lesson learned, a good vitamin C is an absolute must for me, just any serum will not do.

Will let you know what I decide on and how I like whatever I end up trying. I need to start keeping a notebook of the different brands I've tried and what I liked or didn't like about each of them! Thanks again!

Trusted Contributor

@Lannie wrote:

@UMDTerpFan wrote:

UMDTerpFan - that would make sense, because a small Canadian company bought the rights to produce it.  The article says this initial success brought a rash of imitators and there are at least 100 patent infringement suits underway.  It also mentions it was usually bought through professional dermatologists and plastic surgeons, although I don't know if that is still true.  Too bad she couldn't have had more support in the beginning and been able to stay with it. I'm anxious to try it!

@HerRoyaLioness, Wow, that is really interesting about all the patent infringement lawsuits! That will be interesting to follow. From what I know, it takes a long time to get a patent and it is a very expensive endeavor. I was with a not for profit cardiovascular research organization that tried to get a patent on an idea about testing for heart disease and after three or four years and $100,000 in costs, the patent was not approved as the US patent & Trademark office said the idea was not "novel" or unique enough. I don't know if getting a cosmetic patent is anything like getting a medical patent but many cosmetics say patent pending because they've applied for one but I wonder how many actually end up getting the patent they applied for. And both the cosmetic and medical industries are constantly evolving at such breakneck speeds. How fast does an idea or formulation get outdated due to new science & development?

Please do post a review once you've tried the product.

Trusted Contributor

@NycVixen wrote:

@islandgrrl wrote:

@NycVixen

I am crazy for Mad Hippie's Vitamin C serum for several reasons.  The main one being that I have a dark olive complexion and any small blemish will leave a mark.  This serum has completely evened out my skin tone (a first for me).  It has also helped to make my skin visibly smoother.  

So I panic when I start to run low! Cat Tongue

My Clarisonic, Vitamin C serum and argan oil are my 'can't live without' products.

@islandgrrl  Thanks so much for replying! I just read about it on their website and I'm going to order it. Please let me know where are the best places to buy it from. 

OMG! So, going on many years ago I tried Argan oil and Maracuya oil. I really like the maracuya more but for some reason I stopped using it. I have a very fair oily complexion that lately has been very sensitive for some reason. I decided to order a kit from Josie that has the argan oil and milk and I'm in love! My skin has a glow! and it's more plump and less irritated. I'm in love and plan to use it from now on. I love the milk in the am and the oil in the pm. 

I also get marks from blemishes but they tend to disappear faster than on my husband who also has an olive complexion. However, vitamin C helps give me a glow and to help keep my skin tone even as well. Thanks so much!

@NycVixen, I believe Whole Foods carries Mad Hippie products. I know my local organic store Roots carries the brand just in case you ever need it quick and don't want to order by mail.