Frequent Contributor

Hi Ladies,

I just added a Vitamin C serum to my skincare and I noticed that if I apply my moisturizer right away that my face doesn't feel smooth.  Any suggestions on wait time for the Vitamin C to absorb? Thank you.

It's the little things.
Honored Contributor

Some sites will recommend a waiting period but others will say it isn't necessary.  Vitamin C usually absorbs pretty quickly.  I really don't see how adding a vitamin c serum would cause this situation.  Do you exfoliate?  

Frequent Contributor

Re: Vitamin C Help

[ Edited ]

Yes, I do exfoliate regularly.  I will experiment a little bit and see if it works better if I wait a few minutes in between applications.  Thanks.

It's the little things.
Honored Contributor

Re: Vitamin C Help

[ Edited ]

I don't usually like they way my vitamin C serum feels on my face especially if I am going to put makeup over it. I apply my C serum and wait 15-20 min, at least, then lightly wipe it off with a damp cloth.  The vitamin C present in the serum should be absorbed by then and once it has absorbed then it cannot be wiped away...it's inside the skin layer where it should be and any C on the surface does nothing but irritate my skin. In other words I use my vitamin C serum as a treatment...sort of like you would do with a mask. Wipe on, wipe off. Less irritation. Works for me.

Frequent Contributor

Thank you for the tip Smiley Happy

It's the little things.
Esteemed Contributor

I started the Dr. Denise vitamin c pads today.  It does say to let it dry before applying serums and moisturizers. But it only took like 20 to 30 seconds for it to dry. I brushed my teeth after using it and by that time it was dry. I didn't notice anything weird with my serum or moisturizer or my makeup today going on funny.

Honored Contributor

@sheilababe wrote:

Hi Ladies,

I just added a Vitamin C serum to my skincare and I noticed that if I apply my moisturizer right away that my face doesn't feel smooth.  Any suggestions on wait time for the Vitamin C to absorb? Thank you.

All Vit. C serums are different. Some have a wet look or oily until dry or sinks in. You can touch your face after a few minutes to see if it still feels tacky. 

Esteemed Contributor

I just prefer no wait time for anything. This way everything smoothes on evenly. If I waited, then the next thing I use, I would have to use more of it. Once it all dries down, a.m. or p.m. skincare, my skin is very soft.

But, @sheilababe, are you saying that your skin does not feel smooth after everything dries down, or that your skin is just still damp from the C serum & moisturizer?

For me, there is wait time after I apply my skincare steps from when I swipe on pressed Bye Bye Pores & then a bit of blush.

I don't use foundation, but if I did, it would depend upon -- liquid or powder. If I used liquid, then I would put that on immediately after my skincare. If powder, then the skincare would have to dry down before applying.

Esteemed Contributor

One thing to note: if you apply a product over your vitamin c serum immediately, you will probably alter the pH of the vitamin C serum on your face.  This can change how effective the product is.  It's usually best to wait for a few minutes before you apply the next product in your routine, unless the product instructions say not to do that, or you experience sensitivity to the vitamin C and need to bring the pH up sooner.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org