Respected Contributor

Re: Vita Liberata self tanner - medium or dark?

@mimi5775 wrote:

@Valstybaby wrote:

Reading reviews on other websites and they are saying the medium leaves little color. I am light/medium, should I get dark? For the price I don't want to have to put two coats on to get color. 

Thanks.

@Valstybaby I bought medium being so white like Casper...did some reading (reviews) b4 it sold out if it does, on Medium and manyliked that best not Fair, they said just apply a coat or 2 more. Deep would be fake on me.I need another slef tanner like a hole in the head!

I have so many unopned and must get a life! ha! 

I'm a light/medium and opted for medium cause I can always put another layer on but if I get dark I'm stuck. If it's too light I can send it back and change my A/D to dark. 

Esteemed Contributor

I really like the way the Vit a Liberata vendor (creator) explained how to purchae the product.  It has nothing to do with your skintone.  Light if you want sunkissed; Medium for something deeper like a weekend at the Jersey Shore; and Deep if you want to look like you've been in the tropics for a week or two.  

During the presentation on QCheck she even demonstrated how a woman of color can use the product to enhance already dark skin.  I was impressed with that and it made me consider buying the Fair which would give my legs the silky appearance of skintone nylons.  

Frequent Contributor

I had the same question and ended up ordering the dark.  Here's why.... Usually, at home self tanners do not contain as much DHA (the active ingredient in tanners) as the salon kind.  If you are medium skin toned, you can handle a dark.  What people are seeing in the presentations are just the color guide.  That is the color that washes off in the shower.  It is meant to be washed off since it is just added to give users an idea of where they are placing the product.  It is not the final outcome of how the DHA reacts with your skin.  That is why there are some companies that offer a "clear" sunless tanner.  The color guide is just a cosmetic, not the final outcome.  I have never used Vita Liberata before (just placed my first order for this), but you can always use a darker version.  If you find it is too dark, you just wash it off sooner.  My first time using a new product, I usually will only leave it on for 6 hours, versus the 8 hours that is recommended, just so that I can get a feel for the product and how dark or light it is.  I hope this helps. 

Regular Contributor

I'm fair to light and always buy the darkest I can get. It looks great I still can put two coats on if I want. This is the best one I've tried so far. And I never use the mitts.i think it wastes too much product. I just use medical plastic gloves

Hth

Respected Contributor

I bought the medium last year.  I am very light olive, tan easily (used to) and the medium was not dark enough for me even with 2 coats.  If I purchase again I would try the dark.  It does feel good, dries quickly, and has a VERY faint odor but overall it is my favorite tanner so far.

Super Contributor

i am always looking for a great tanner.  have used tan towels for ever.  but like most hate how it fades.  looking at the models, the hands and feet look funky.   they make fists so you don't see the fingers.    not sure if it  will blend better after a shower.  anyone else notice this. 

Honored Contributor

I hemmed and hawed all day about this since I recently ordered the JM Tanning Oil and am still awaiting delivery.  Since the Vita Liberata was such a value I decided to order and compare the two.  I don't have a lot of experience with self tanners other than the Jergens product that I picked up from the grocery store.  I decided to get the Medium in the VL as it seemed like it would be more natural looking. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm medium skin toned and ordered the deep.  I want to look like I have a tan.  I used to tan and now I avoid the sun, so I'd like to at least look like I've been sunbathing.  I hope this lasts.  I swim and it is uncommon for a self tanner to last very long on me.   I plan to try it on my face as well.

Respected Contributor

I'm light/medium and changed my order a couple of times from medium to dark and back and settled on medium. Mine shipped already so we shall see. I can always,change my A/D to dark if it's too light.

Frequent Contributor

For the hands and feet (along with elbows and knees) to look more natural, I usually put a thin layer of lotion on those areas and blend it in prior to putting on sunless tanner.  That skin is either thinner or dryer and tends to absorb more if I don't do that first.  You want those areas to be slightly lighter, so that is why I put on regular lotion beforehand.