Esteemed Contributor

How do you know if you have a vit c serum that is too old?  How long does it usually last after opening?

Honored Contributor

Re: Vit C serum and expiration

@Snoopp wrote:

How do you know if you have a vit c serum that is too old?  How long does it usually last after opening?

@Snoopp  It really depends on the forumulation and form of Vitamin C.  Many people prefer the L-Ascorbic Acid, but it's the most unstable so stabilizers are added to the formulation.  Yet that doesn't mean forever either - usually three months max from the time of manufacture so that needs to be taken into consideration, not just starting from the day it was opened.  Other serums with a more stablized form of Vitamin C will last longer.  If your serum has changed to a orangey color (or variation of dark yellow to light brownish), it's done. 

Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@Snoopp wrote:

@Snoopp  It really depends on the forumulation and form of Vitamin C.  Many people prefer the L-Ascorbic Acid, but it's the most unstable so stabilizers are added to the formulation.  Yet that doesn't mean forever either - usually three months max from the time of manufacture so that needs to be taken into consideration, not just starting from the day it was opened.  Other serums with a more stablized form of Vitamin C will last longer.  If your serum has changed to a orangey color (or variation of dark yellow to light brownish), it's done. 

This.

3 months seems to the average life expectancy.

I keep a SMALL bottle in my bathroom, the rest in the refrigerator.

Honored Contributor

I use NCN's Vit C serum. They make it every couple weeks or so. The owner says that it is good for six months. Of course, I still keep an eye out for a dramatic change in color.

One thing to be aware of ist the ferulic acid, which is an excellent addition to many formulas (including mine), can cause a slight yellowish tinge. It is perfectly normal.

FYI from NCN:

Our 20% Vitamin C+ Serum with MAP, Vitamin E, Ferulic Acid, Glutathione, Sea Kelp Bioferment, Hyaluronic Acid, and Oat Beta Glucan will improve skin clarity and tone. Your skin will appear firmer and smoother and with continued use, you will begin to see an improvement in the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, as well as a more even skin tone.  Dark spots fade with continued use of Vitamin C+ Serum with MAP, Vitamin E, Ferulic Acid, Glutathione.

Store in a dark closet at room temperature.  The shelf life is 6 months.  Even with the addition of stabilizers (glutathione and MAP) It's best to buy a Vitamin C product one at a time and not stock up on it.  It's made fresh about every two weeks. Storing it in the refrigerator is not going to lengthen the shelf life. The Glutathione is unprocessed and has a sulfur smell.  Once on your skin, the smell dissipates within a minute or two.  

Please note:  When we make our Vitamin C+ Serum, it is YELLOW (from the Ferulic Acid).  Once bottled, it will turn clear or milky in color, or stay yellow.  The color depends on the temperature.  If your Vitamin C+ Serum is YELLOW, it is fine, it is stable.  If your Vitamin C+ Serum turns a dark yellow, toss it as it has oxidized.  Our Vitamin C+ Serum stays stable for 6 months. 

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland