Reply
Super Contributor
Posts: 5,837
Registered: ‎03-01-2013

Re: Viral Video on Why You Should Wear Sunscreen

I am rather a fanatic about sun protection. I use sunscreen year round. I have SPF 50 hats that have back neck protection as well, and, SPF 50 arm sleeves and gloves for driving, walking the dog etc. I also will use a sun SPF parasol if needed.
Super Contributor
Posts: 4,655
Registered: ‎10-19-2013

Re: Viral Video on Why You Should Wear Sunscreen

On 8/15/2014 gazelle77 said: I am rather a fanatic about sun protection. I use sunscreen year round. I have SPF 50 hats that have back neck protection as well, and, SPF 50 arm sleeves and gloves for driving, walking the dog etc. I also will use a sun SPF parasol if needed.

I've just recently begun wearing hats. Well, I have ONE hat from a NZ sun protection clothing company. I'm keeping my eye out for more. I just am kicking myself for not wearing one before. And I'm never really out in the sun! But this summer when I've run to the store or whatever, even though I'm smothered in sunscreen, I plopped on that hat. Great protection!

Super Contributor
Posts: 4,655
Registered: ‎10-19-2013

Re: Viral Video on Why You Should Wear Sunscreen

On 8/15/2014 gazelle77 said: I am rather a fanatic about sun protection. I use sunscreen year round. I have SPF 50 hats that have back neck protection as well, and, SPF 50 arm sleeves and gloves for driving, walking the dog etc. I also will use a sun SPF parasol if needed.

I've just recently begun wearing hats. Well, I have ONE hat from a NZ sun protection clothing company. I'm keeping my eye out for more. I just am kicking myself for not wearing one before. And I'm never really out in the sun! But this summer when I've run to the store or whatever, even though I'm smothered in sunscreen, I plopped on that hat. Great protection!

Super Contributor
Posts: 4,655
Registered: ‎10-19-2013

Re: Viral Video on Why You Should Wear Sunscreen

Ooop -- Dupe, sorry.
Super Contributor
Posts: 1,354
Registered: ‎11-30-2011

Re: Viral Video on Why You Should Wear Sunscreen

Maybe I didn't hear it right, but toward the end they say that glass stops UV rays, as in the sunglasses some were wearing. IMO UV rays can penetrate glass. Am I mistaken?

Honored Contributor
Posts: 30,244
Registered: ‎03-12-2010

Re: Viral Video on Why You Should Wear Sunscreen

I've seen something similar before. I didn't need convincing. Thank you for taking the time to post this.

There are still people who worship the sun for that almighty real tan then they buy every product there is out there to try to get rid of the damage.

My daughter a few months ago went to the dermatologist and the Dr set her straight. Two years ago she moved to Denver (where the sun is really intense). She showed her the sun damage.

For the first time my adult daughter listened to me. She now wears Dr. Denese and uses her products (especially her sun lotion).

Of course I buy all of it for her (she's 33 years old) but if that's what it takes it's worth every penny to me.

Again, thank you for taking the time to post this.

Super Contributor
Posts: 4,655
Registered: ‎10-19-2013

Re: Viral Video on Why You Should Wear Sunscreen

On 8/15/2014 F1wild said:

Maybe I didn't hear it right, but toward the end they say that glass stops UV rays, as in the sunglasses some were wearing. IMO UV rays can penetrate glass. Am I mistaken?

I'll watch it again -- didn't catch that, but if so, you're correct. Maybe they're talking about glass w/UV coating/protection? Regular old window glass doesn't offer any protection.

Super Contributor
Posts: 4,655
Registered: ‎10-19-2013

Re: Viral Video on Why You Should Wear Sunscreen

On 8/15/2014 annabellethecat said:

I've seen something similar before. I didn't need convincing. Thank you for taking the time to post this.

There are still people who worship the sun for that almighty real tan then they buy every product there is out there to try to get rid of the damage.

My daughter a few months ago went to the dermatologist and the Dr set her straight. Two years ago she moved to Denver (where the sun is really intense). She showed her the sun damage.

For the first time my adult daughter listened to me. She now wears Dr. Denese and uses her products (especially her sun lotion).

Of course I buy all of it for her (she's 33 years old) but if that's what it takes it's worth every penny to me.

Again, thank you for taking the time to post this.

I think it was in the 70's that a product called Pre-Sun came out. The ad showed a woman with a line down the middle of her face with one side how she really looked, the other artist-enhanced to show how she could look in future years without sun protection. Made an impression on me.

The irony is, at that time they weren't concerned about UVA protection, the product only protected against UVB while "allowing healthy tanning to occur". The ingredient was PABA (anybody remember that?). It was good for what it did, but thank heavens we've learned so much more!

I love that the Derm showed your daughter the sun damage -- was it an ultraviolet type light like in the video showing her own skin?

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,758
Registered: ‎03-12-2010

Re: Viral Video on Why You Should Wear Sunscreen

Glasses and glass are different. Most glasses today have a UV coating to help polarize them from glare and the like. Many cars also have built in UV coating even if your windows aren't tinted. You can see the coating if you wear polarized sunglasses. I have super light blue eyes and wear quality polarized sun glasses to help with protection of my eyes and headaches. They also help wonderfully when it is rainy. The rain doesn't cause glare and you can see the puddles in the road better to avoid them.

Glass on the other hand does not have UV coatings. Many newer window companies are putting UV coatings due to the sun bleaching your home goods and the like. Many people also get it to help keep some of the sun's heat out. Right now I'm using tin foil to block the sun fully during the summer heat. It really makes the rooms cooler. You can also buy solar curtains that bounce the sun back out, but by putting it on the window itself you less the exposure to the air in your house. There are also films you can get, but they are very expensive for the number of windows I have. Tin foil is cheap and easy. Fortunately those windows aren't see from the street, so I don't look like a freak. I'm putting the film on the windows as I can buy it instead of doing them all at one time.

With greenhouse warming and all, exposure is getting worse and worse, so we need sun protection more and more.

Super Contributor
Posts: 4,655
Registered: ‎10-19-2013

Re: Viral Video on Why You Should Wear Sunscreen

On 8/16/2014 tigriss said:

Glasses and glass are different. Most glasses today have a UV coating to help polarize them from glare and the like. Many cars also have built in UV coating even if your windows aren't tinted. You can see the coating if you wear polarized sunglasses. I have super light blue eyes and wear quality polarized sun glasses to help with protection of my eyes and headaches. They also help wonderfully when it is rainy. The rain doesn't cause glare and you can see the puddles in the road better to avoid them.

Glass on the other hand does not have UV coatings. Many newer window companies are putting UV coatings due to the sun bleaching your home goods and the like. Many people also get it to help keep some of the sun's heat out. Right now I'm using tin foil to block the sun fully during the summer heat. It really makes the rooms cooler. You can also buy solar curtains that bounce the sun back out, but by putting it on the window itself you less the exposure to the air in your house. There are also films you can get, but they are very expensive for the number of windows I have. Tin foil is cheap and easy. Fortunately those windows aren't see from the street, so I don't look like a freak. I'm putting the film on the windows as I can buy it instead of doing them all at one time.

With greenhouse warming and all, exposure is getting worse and worse, so we need sun protection more and more.

I looked this up because I was so convinced that statement on the video was wrong -- but it's only HALF wrong. :-)

Apparently regular old glass DOES filter UVB rays; it does NOT filter UVA rays.

Mychelle said that it makes sense, otherwise we'd be getting burns from driving and sitting around at home. I agreed, and added that instead, we get age spots and old looking skin. :-)

So if we're concened about the UVA (and we should be!) don't count on the windows to shield us.

I'm so happy more manufactuers are appyling UV coatings. And that's a great example -- home furnishings! It's just alarming what happens to our furniture (or books or whatever we have that gets exposure) -- and that's what's happening to us!