Honored Contributor

Re: Video from Nikol Johnson

I watch her videos sometimes, but although she has great pointers, I think she, like other influencers are busy trying to sell/suggest her own makeup and skincare. 

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 

Oh well, you can't please everyone. 

She is the one with the sunglasses I can't live without.

sunglasses.JPG

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

She does have her own line and yes sometimes she does push it.  Would be kinda silly for her to have this platform and not push her line of makeup.  I've been watching her for a couple of years.  It does't bother me.  If the video is all about her makeup (that I'm not interested in buying) I don't watch it.

Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

@Trinity11 

Oh well, you can't please everyone. 

She is the one with the sunglasses I can't live without.

sunglasses.JPG

Yes, I recognized her immediately. I can't relate to her but I do enjoy the Paris based Ali Andreea channel. She is an amazing makeup artist. 

Did you buy the sunglasses @monicakm ? You deserve them!!💕

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I watched the video.  She is certainly a beautiful woman!

I will always have to use an eyelash curler.  I laugh when others tell those of us with totally straight lashes that almost point downward to just curl them up with a brush.🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Edited to add:  Got in a hurry and did not watch the entire end of her video.  She said not to use an eyelash curler after mascara.  I misunderstood by not watching and listening carefully.  ☺️☺️☺️☺️☺️

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 

I usually find bits and pieces of something I can use in most beauty videos I watch.  With  this video I was already doing what she suggested IF it applied to me.  For instance I wear lashes so the mascara part didn't apply.

And no, I haven't bought the glasses.  They are nowhere to be found! Sold out everywhere.  Maybe they'll come back in the spring.  If I ever find them, I've decided to buy them (provided I can return them if I have to) and let DH see how stunning I look in them (g).  I know what he'll say tho.  "If you think a $300 pair of sunglasses is a financially wise decision, by all means, keep them."

Honored Contributor

ps...and yes, I enjoy Ali Andreea as well.

Honored Contributor

@4kitties 

I had nice long curly lashes but with age they got a lot shorter so I started wearing false lashes about 3 years ago.  Love them and have found my perfect style, Ardell Whispies (not demi Whispies or any Whispies with a number included in the name).  I can't even tell I have them on.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't think that makeup remover wipes are bad. The ones I use have aloe vera on them, so they are gentle. Following that with L'oreal cleanser works for me, so this is one piece of advice I don't follow. 

I also don't use foundation, contour, mascara or eye curlers, so none of those apply. I instead use concealer and a small amount of bronzer. 

I always use eye primer before my eyeshadow; it helps to keep the shadow lasting longer. 

You tubers' advice sometimes is too generalized and doesn't work for everyone. A woman has to find what's best for herself and go with that no matter what the videos say. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The title of her video is a little dramatic for my taste.  LOL

I did quickly go through her tips and my first thought is, haven't we been told this years ago?  Nothing she said was ground breaking to me.

I have never, ever been a fan of make-up remover wipes.  I have never found they do much of anything.  I prefer using a balm or oil, etc. to remove make-up and then follow that with a cleanser.  Not to mention those wipes are horrendous for the environment.

As far as eye primers, there are many that have no color to them at all. They only serve to help keep shadow on so they aren't going to do anything to cancel out darkness, veins, redness, etc.  For canceling out darkness, etc., I lightly swipe concealer over my lids and I set it with a light dusting of powder.  I have never had a problem with it creasing but again, I don't have oily lids and I only use a small amount.  I periodically use a shadow primer because I have them but I notice no difference in the staying power of my shadows with or without it.   

Did we really need to be told we need the right foundation formula and shade? 

Nikol is a beatiful woman.  As far as her brows go, I work with a woman who has natural gray hair and very dark, nearly black brows.  Her hair prior to turning gray was the color of her brows.  Her brows never changed but her hair did.      

ETA:  I am not big girl enough to use a lash curler.  I have purchased cheap, high-end and everywhere in between.  No matter what, I pinch my lids with them or it doesn't look like I did anything after using one.