Trusted Contributor

Re: Very Positive DermaRoller Update

Thanks Bella!! So, should I buy the .02 or .03? I don't plan on using it every night, but maybe a few times a week. Or should I buy the .05? I may just check on amazon where you bought yours.

Contributor

Thank for posting your experience. I bought one of these last year and chickened out. Will be digging it out to use soon.

Super Contributor

I guess it's time for me to jump in on this thread. I've been considering dermarolling for the last several years, but the available rollers were just too expensive for me to purchase.

I found one on Amazon for $20. It's a 1mm size - so I bought it in November. Then I let it sit there, too chicken to try it until the day after New Years. Since then, I've rolled my face five times and my hands twice. I'm 68.

Currently I cleanse my face twice a day with a WEN Conditioning Cleanser, followed by a gel containing C, E and Hyaluronic Acid then Green Cream Level Six at night. I use Level Three in the morning as a moisturizer under my sunscreen. When I roll, I follow with my C Gel and Green Cream Level three.

Surprisingly, my hands don't seem to like the rolling process at all. While I can't feel the roller much on my hands, they immediately turn bright red and feel sunburned for a couple of days. So I'm taking it very easy with them.

Meanwhile, I've been very encouraged to read the comments and research by Dr. Des Fernandes of Environ in Canada. I believe he's about 70 and he rolls his face and his hands daily.

Here is a link for a brief bio of Dr. Des: http://www.margifox.com.au/environ/about-dr-des-fernandes

Here is a YouTube link to one of my favorite interviews with Dr. Des: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_FurQQvuWg

My plan is to keep challenging my skin until I can step back up to Retin A .05 or 1.0 - hopefully by next summer.

My results so far are some flaking, reduced by my Clarisonic, with a very smooth skin most of the time. I don't expect to see real results for another few weeks. I do hope to see positive changes around my eyes, my mouth and my hands - but only time will tell...

This is a grand experiment, isn't it?

Respected Contributor

On 1/9/2014 snowball said:

Thanks Bella!! So, should I buy the .02 or .03? I don't plan on using it every night, but maybe a few times a week. Or should I buy the .05? I may just check on amazon where you bought yours.

Snowball, it depends on what your goal is. .05 is the level that induces collagen. .02 and .03 are for texture and product absorption. Again, MY plan is .05 1x/month and .02 or .03 a few times a week. There are a lot of links on these two threads and lots you can Google. Take some time to decide what is right for you. My regimen may not be what is right for you.
Super Contributor

On 1/9/2014 SchippyLuv said:

I guess it's time for me to jump in on this thread. I've been considering dermarolling for the last several years, but the available rollers were just too expensive for me to purchase.

I found one on Amazon for $20. It's a 1mm size - so I bought it in November. Then I let it sit there, too chicken to try it until the day after New Years. Since then, I've rolled my face five times and my hands twice. I'm 68.

Currently I cleanse my face twice a day with a WEN Conditioning Cleanser, followed by a gel containing C, E and Hyaluronic Acid then Green Cream Level Six at night. I use Level Three in the morning as a moisturizer under my sunscreen. When I roll, I follow with my C Gel and Green Cream Level three.

Surprisingly, my hands don't seem to like the rolling process at all. While I can't feel the roller much on my hands, they immediately turn bright red and feel sunburned for a couple of days. So I'm taking it very easy with them.

Meanwhile, I've been very encouraged to read the comments and research by Dr. Des Fernandes of Environ in Canada. I believe he's about 70 and he rolls his face and his hands daily.

Here is a link for a brief bio of Dr. Des: http://www.margifox.com.au/environ/about-dr-des-fernandes

Here is a YouTube link to one of my favorite interviews with Dr. Des: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_FurQQvuWg

My plan is to keep challenging my skin until I can step back up to Retin A .05 or 1.0 - hopefully by next summer.

My results so far are some flaking, reduced by my Clarisonic, with a very smooth skin most of the time. I don't expect to see real results for another few weeks. I do hope to see positive changes around my eyes, my mouth and my hands - but only time will tell...

This is a grand experiment, isn't it?

Beautifully put -- "a grand experiment". :-) Isn't it, though?

Super Contributor

On 1/9/2014 BellaCarro said:
On 1/9/2014 snowball said:

Snowball, it depends on what your goal is. .05 is the level that induces collagen. .02 and .03 are for texture and product absorption. Again, MY plan is .05 1x/month and .02 or .03 a few times a week. There are a lot of links on these two threads and lots you can Google. Take some time to decide what is right for you. My regimen may not be what is right for you.

BellaCarro, I think this is going to be my plan as well. :-)

EDIT: What is the CR5 and what is the MR5? Dr. S says the CR5 1x monthly, the MR5 1x weekly. I admit I've only half looked into it knowing that you and Lyn will have all the answers at your fingertips. :-)

EDIT again: Just went to Dr. S's site and the link to the "purchase" option isn't working -- "Not Found". I was hoping he sold both the CR5 and MR5 so I could see what the diff is.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the links, SchippyLuv. I'd read that Dr. Fernandez has undergone over 50 treatments himself, but I haven't read that he does needling on a daily basis. I've read that he recommends 0.2mm for daily cosmetic use for his patients as part of his CIT protocol.

For anyone interested, here are links I saved while researching CIT last week. Dr. Fernandez's clinical study is discussed as well as his recommendations for facial rejuvenation. These include skin care actives, micro needle length and the frequency of treatments he recommends. There are some very impressive before and afters.

Percutaneous Collagen Induction Therapy: An Alternative Treatment for Scars, Wrinkles, and Skin Laxi...

The Holistic Scarless Rejuvenation of the Face

@(-_-)@ ~lyn~
Birman =^..^= Servant
Member since 04.2007

Trusted Contributor

MarenSeattle - According to the maker of the 0.5mm (CR5), they will only sell it to a licensed professional. They do not consider it a length for home use and will not sell to a consumer. Their store is currently off-line as well. Makemeheal.com sells the brand, but not longer than 0.3mm. My thinking is that the FDA may consider 0.5mm and longer a medical device and that is the reason we're not finding a CR5 MTS DermaRoller™ online.
@(-_-)@ ~lyn~
Birman =^..^= Servant
Member since 04.2007

Super Contributor

On 1/9/2014 lyn in MI said: MarenSeattle - According to the maker of the 0.5mm (CR5), they will only sell it to a licensed professional. They do not consider it a length for home use and will not sell to a consumer. Their store is currently off-line as well. Makemeheal.com sells the brand, but not longer than 0.3mm. My thinking is that the FDA may consider 0.5mm and longer a medical device and that is the reason we're not finding a CR5 MTS DermaRoller™ online.

Thanks, Lyn! Interesting. Well, at least we know they're not primarily motivated by money! Smile

Any hint as to what the MR5 is? This is okay to be used weekly, if I'm understanding it correctly. Thanks, Dr. S, but what the heck IS it?

And thanks again for more great links, Lyn. I always read these while LightStimming. :-)

Trusted Contributor

MarenSeattle - I thought the responder was just using the same terminology as the customer. MR5 = MicroRoller 0.5mm. CR5 is the actual model of MTS DermaRoller™ 0.5mm roller.

eta: OOPS!!!! Where are my manners today?!??? You are most welcome for the links.
@(-_-)@ ~lyn~
Birman =^..^= Servant
Member since 04.2007