Esteemed Contributor

Very OT --- Mattress recommendations

I know this is OT but these boards receive the most views/responses. My DH and I need to purchase a new mattress. We want something that is firm ... but not overly firm. I need some good support because I have been getting up in the morning with terrible lower back pains. We are not interested in a Sleep Number or Memory Foam mattresses. Does anyone have any experience with Serta's Iseries? If so, did you like them? Does anyone have any good recommendations? TIA, Maria

Respected Contributor

Re: Very OT --- Mattress recommendations

I don't know the I-series or how much you want to spend. My recommendation though is to look at Stearns & Foster mattresses. They are excellent. Whatever you do, don't get one at Macy's though. They charge $2700 for an $1100 bed. I got mine at Mattress Discounters. You can save a lot if you get a mismatch sale. I picked my mattress and they picked out an S&F box Spring that nearly matched and you can't see the mattress anyway, bc the quilted mattress pad is always on it. Definitely the way to go. Firm but not too firm is my range as well. S&F does that well.
Happy WEN Girl since 1/12/2012
Frequent Contributor

I can only tell you what NOT to buy. Do not purchase Stearns & Foster mattresses. They are awful. My husband and I purchased one and within one year there were sagging depressions where my husband and I lay. We are not overweight. The discomfort level is through the roof. We paid over $3000 for this mattress and it's complete garbage. Don't take my word for it -- look up Stearns & Foster on consumeraffairs.com and you'll see for yourself.

The bed feels awful and it looks awful when made as you can clearly see the sagging with a higher center ridge (where no one lays). This purchase was an unmitigated expensive disaster. It feels like I'm sleeping in a hammock. I bet the hammock would be more comfortable.

I'm now in the market for a new mattress. I walked into a Sleepy's and asked for their best firmest mattress. He walked me over to a Stearns & Foster ($$$) and I walked out of the store! I'm going to follow this thread to see any recommendations.

Good luck on your search.

ETA: Here's the consumer affairs link: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/furniture/stearns_foster.html

As you can see, almost all the complaints are about the same issue: sagging body depressions developing quickly after purchase leading to discomfort and back pain.

Super Contributor

I currently sleep on a soft sided waterbed mattress now, after having a Simmons "the worst mattress ever" for 6 years. I will tell you that recently I stayed at an Embassy Suites hotel in Estero FL and the mattress was so comfortable I actually considered buying one. I think they use Serta but you can probably find out for sure online.
Respected Contributor

Last year we replaced the master bedroom king mattress in our FL condo. We went to so many mattress places that our heads spun!!! Finally we decided on the Iseries mattress by Serta. It was in February and that was the company's annual month long special sale period where every store that carried this brand had to honor the same price. We spent probably $1600 ( memory does fade ! ) and LOVE the mattress. First morning, I didn't want to get out of bed!!! So, if you've both tried it and it's better than any other one you've tried, go for it. There is a guarantee with it, so try it out. H T H
We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Contributor

I've got to agree with luvthatboxer. After one sagging mattress after another, DH and I went to a soft-sided waterbed. Love it. They're half the price of regular mattresses, they last twice as long, and they're comfortable. When they start to sag a bit, you just rearrange the tubes (maybe add a bit more water), and whalah! you've got a "new" firmer mattress all over again.

Super Contributor

On 7/15/2014 Adelm said:

I can only tell you what NOT to buy. Do not purchase Stearns & Foster mattresses. They are awful. My husband and I purchased one and within one year there were sagging depressions where my husband and I lay. We are not overweight. The discomfort level is through the roof. We paid over $3000 for this mattress and it's complete garbage. Don't take my word for it -- look up Stearns & Foster on consumeraffairs.com and you'll see for yourself.

The bed feels awful and it looks awful when made as you can clearly see the sagging with a higher center ridge (where no one lays). This purchase was an unmitigated expensive disaster. It feels like I'm sleeping in a hammock. I bet the hammock would be more comfortable.

I'm now in the market for a new mattress. I walked into a Sleepy's and asked for their best firmest mattress. He walked me over to a Stearns & Foster ($$$) and I walked out of the store! I'm going to follow this thread to see any recommendations.

Good luck on your search.

ETA: Here's the consumer affairs link: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/furniture/stearns_foster.html

As you can see, almost all the complaints are about the same issue: sagging body depressions developing quickly after purchase leading to discomfort and back pain.

Adelm...Wow...sorry you had such a bad experience with Stearns & Foster, as this is the only company I would ever buy from or suggest to anyone.

My hubby has a bad back & the firmness of our king size bed gives him the support he needs. I have NEVER had a problem with any of the Stearns & Foster mattresses we've purchased over the last 40 years & we had @LEast 4 different S & F types.

Maybe the company was sold & the new owner has changed the construction?

I'm @a loss for words as to why you would have such an awful experience with this manufacturer.

Hope that helps the potential buyer!{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Trusted Contributor

I've bought nothing but Serta over the years, and have been very happy with them. The best way to pick out your mattress is to decide on a brand, and try out several mattresses for at least 15 minutes each to decide which feels most comfortable to you. Some you will know immediately that you don't like them.

I hate mattress stores, they're like going to car dealers. I bought my last one at Boscov's, a department store. Their prices are competitive, and sometimes they have a 20% off all mattresses sale.

Valued Contributor

prana... nothing compares... nothing!

No thought is worth thinking.....
Respected Contributor

On 7/15/2014 bunjetto said:

prana... nothing compares... nothing!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

I would $7,000+ would buy you some mattress.