Respected Contributor

Vent/Gripe re: Beauty Reviews on AMZN

I recently noticed certain beauty products have mostly FIVE star reviews.  How's it possible that 100 people can try something and 90% of them give the product a 5-star rating? ??  THEY GET IT FOR FREE or at a large discount!  And then I suppose they're  given "guidelines" to write a review.  What a nice "incentive" to write "good" reviews for products, eh?  Then, that leaves the other 10% who complain they bought the product based on the reviews and were not impressed.   Woman Mad

Annoying!

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Vent/Gripe re: Beauty Reviews on AMZN

As long as the reviewer discloses that they got the product for free when they post a review, I don't have a problem with it.

I generally will look for a lot of reviews for an item if I want to know if it's worth purchasing or not. Amazon isn't the only place I'll look for reviews, just one of them. I will also look at beauty reviews on QVC and HSN too.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I listened to a big exposé about Amazon's reviews and their "secret" club that you get invited to if you start reviewing products. After so many reviews, you can be part of a group that starts receiving free products, with the understanding that you have to use and review it. It was FASCINATING- I never knew! Anyway, it is a way for products to get more exposure on Amazon because studies showed that products with a large number of reviews were often purchased more often than those that do not- and the kicker is, it doesn't even matter if they were postitive or negative reviews! Products with only 3 stars but hundreds of reviews got more sales than those with only about a dozen reviews but all 4 and 5 stars. So companies are willing to give free products to a select few to boost their review numbers.

It really was a great segment, very eye opening.

Trusted Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

I listened to a big exposé about Amazon's reviews and their "secret" club that you get invited to if you start reviewing products. After so many reviews, you can be part of a group that starts receiving free products, with the understanding that you have to use and review it. It was FASCINATING- I never knew! Anyway, it is a way for products to get more exposure on Amazon because studies showed that products with a large number of reviews were often purchased more often than those that do not- and the kicker is, it doesn't even matter if they were postitive or negative reviews! Products with only 3 starts but hundreds of reviews got more sales than those with only about a dozen reviews but all 4 and 5 stars. So companies are willing to give free products to a select few to boost their review numbers.

Interesting.  So, is Amazon OK with negative reviews from people in its "Club"? 

I Discovered That I Can Be Myself Without the Sky Falling In
Honored Contributor

@Adelina wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

I listened to a big exposé about Amazon's reviews and their "secret" club that you get invited to if you start reviewing products. After so many reviews, you can be part of a group that starts receiving free products, with the understanding that you have to use and review it. It was FASCINATING- I never knew! Anyway, it is a way for products to get more exposure on Amazon because studies showed that products with a large number of reviews were often purchased more often than those that do not- and the kicker is, it doesn't even matter if they were postitive or negative reviews! Products with only 3 starts but hundreds of reviews got more sales than those with only about a dozen reviews but all 4 and 5 stars. So companies are willing to give free products to a select few to boost their review numbers.

Interesting.  So, is Amazon OK with negative reviews from people in its "Club"? 

Oh from what I remember, there was some controversy over whether or not Amazon "appreciated" the negative reviews, lol. Supposedly they wanted "honest" reviews but some in the secret club stated that  if they posted quite a few negative reviews, they didn't seem to get as many free products to rate. Others said they didn't notice that but I was curious how many negative reviews the one who did notice the decline in "freebies" posted compared to the one who didn't notice a decline. Also, if I remember correctly, the quality  of the products the people got to review seemed to coincide with the number of positive or negative reviews the member had. It has been a few years since I heard it so can't remember all the details. I believe I heard it on NPR.

Trusted Contributor

This angers me since I go by reviews on nearly all I buy sight unseen!! Ty for this info.

My son went to Heaven 4/15/2018
I love and miss him so very much. God Bless you my dear Nicky
Respected Contributor

No secret club.  I saw that on a segment of one of those news magazine shows several years ago.  It was 20/20 or 60 Minutes, I think.  The reviewers were invited by Amazon based on the quality & quantity of reviews they'd done, I.e., articulate, clarity of expression, etc.  As a previous poster noted, I don't mind as long as they disclose getting the product for the express purpose of writing up their opinion.