Honored Contributor

Re: Vendors please quit lying about skincare !!!

@SahmIam wrote:

I get what the OP is saying and yes, it is a huge misrepresentation of what is actually happening.

Clarins has sold this type of product since the mid-80's (when I first used it). Sisley sells one too; many lines do.

The sales technique is to apply it to the back of a customers' hand, allow it to dry a bit and then rub it off. "LOOK AT ALL THE DEAD SKIN COMING OFF!!!!" says the sales rep. The customer is shocked, buys it and KA-CHING!...another sale based on a lie. It's not dead skin you see coming off, it's the product (texture of rubber cement when it rub off the excess) mixed with a small amount of dead skin cells. The visual is a FANTASTIC sales technique and the vendor/company are fully aware of this. Customers don't care about the actual ingredient that is piling off, just that the visual and sale pitch sales their skin will be glowing and YOUTHFUL.

The product does work as it's an exfoliate but....the exaggeration/lie is the problem.

@SahmIam  I get what you’re saying. Sugar and salt scrubs have been used since ancient times...beach sand will also do a great job of exfoliating skin. Yes, some of the “stuff” coming off is the product and some is actually the exfoliated, dead skin cells. Ask your derm why the exfoliating step in skincare is more important as we age. Cell turnover slows down and not only does the complexion look dull, but serums, moisturizers cannot penetrate through it.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

I get what the OP is saying and yes, it is a huge misrepresentation of what is actually happening.

Clarins has sold this type of product since the mid-80's (when I first used it). Sisley sells one too; many lines do.

The sales technique is to apply it to the back of a customers' hand, allow it to dry a bit and then rub it off. "LOOK AT ALL THE DEAD SKIN COMING OFF!!!!" says the sales rep. The customer is shocked, buys it and KA-CHING!...another sale based on a lie. It's not dead skin you see coming off, it's the product (texture of rubber cement when it rub off the excess) mixed with a small amount of dead skin cells. The visual is a FANTASTIC sales technique and the vendor/company are fully aware of this. Customers don't care about the actual ingredient that is piling off, just that the visual and sale pitch sales their skin will be glowing and YOUTHFUL.

The product does work as it's an exfoliate but....the exaggeration/lie is the problem.

@SahmIam  I get what you’re saying. Sugar and salt scrubs have been used since ancient times...beach sand will also do a great job of exfoliating skin. Yes, some of the “stuff” coming off is the product and some is actually the exfoliated, dead skin cells. Ask your derm why the exfoliating step in skincare is more important as we age. Cell turnover slows down and not only does the complexion look dull, but serums, moisturizers cannot penetrate through it.

And the skin gets thinner as we age. I'd like to keep what I have, thank you!

Honored Contributor

@Shanus--so shanus----are the various tools that scrape off the dead skin better than the liquid/mask/cream things? And are dead skin cells several layers deep? And can using the tools get most of them off?  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wagirl wrote:

@Shanus--so shanus----are the various tools that scrape off the dead skin better than the liquid/mask/cream things? And are dead skin cells several layers deep? And can using the tools get most of them off?  

Good morning @wagirl. I prefer manual exfoliation with a scrub or a peel with an acid pad. The tools are quite expensive and as far as hair fuzz being a side benefit, I use a tiny plastic gadget w/ a flip top that covers the blade. They come in a pkg. of 3 for maybe less than $6. The tool sold the other day was $150 & she slyly slipped in during one presentation that the blade needs to be changed after each use.

I get a facial 3-4 times a year that adds microblading to exfoliate for an additional $25. She’s trained to do it and I have no equipment to purchase. 

Honored Contributor

@MW in Iowa wrote:

Cellulose is not dead skin. This is an ingredient in exfoliators that helps remove debris and possibly a small amount of the surface layer. Mari lynn from Philosophy was the latest to say this , most of what we see is the product balling off , not to say it is not a good product , but we aren't all stupid and a lot of us know better. I wan't singling  out Philosophy, just describe what is really happening when the product is being used on the skin , sorry for the rant.

Correct. It's not the skin coming off, it's the product balling up. I believe this category of product is called gommage and it has been around for a long time.

Vendors and hosts are misleading us when they pretend skin is sluffing off. What is sluffing off is actually the mask -- which is designed to dry that way and ball up and roll off that way. They do know better.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Regular Contributor

As my dermagoligist says, aside from surgery, there's just sun screen (very important) and a couple of CVS products (Ceta phil, Cerevae) that  help. I was always looking for the magic solution too. Some of them do camoflauge (sp).  Sure wish the Q would have some sales on IT and Dr. D.    Felinemom

@MW in Iowa wrote:

Cellulose is not dead skin. This is an ingredient in exfoliators that helps remove debris and possibly a small amount of the surface layer. Mari lynn from Philosophy was the latest to say this , most of what we see is the product balling off , not to say it is not a good product , but we aren't all stupid and a lot of us know better. I wan't singling  out Philosophy, just describe what is really happening when the product is being used on the skin , sorry for the rant.

Honored Contributor

@felinemom wrote:

As my dermagoligist says, aside from surgery, there's just sun screen (very important) and a couple of CVS products (Ceta phil, Cerevae) that  help. I was always looking for the magic solution too. Some of them do camoflauge (sp).  Sure wish the Q would have some sales on IT and Dr. D.    Felinemom

@MW in Iowa wrote:

@felinemom   Most derms recommend adding Retin A and Vit. C serum to help fade sun damage. You said you believe your derm and also don’t believe the hype. Next sentence you want lower prices for IT and Dr. Denese. I’m confused.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@felinemom wrote:

@MW in Iowa wrote:

@felinemom   Most derms recommend adding Retin A and Vit. C serum to help fade sun damage. You said you believe your derm and also don’t believe the hype. Next sentence you want lower prices for IT and Dr. Denese. I’m confused.

I don't find this confusing. @felinemom mentions camouflage. IT Cosmetics has some good camouflage products.

And Dr. Denese sells skincare, which would be used to moisturize and hydrate. Derms are not against doing that. And they would be over the moon happy if their clients used the Dr. Denese day cream with SPF 30 and her eye cream with SPF every day.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

Yep! The rubber cement demo LOL! Love that!! I fell for it on the PTR product what a big LIE all it did was ball up after it dried down some and my pores were still completely congested!  My skin wasn't smoother....nothing.  I do not fall for those products any more....in fact I have yet to find any product that cleans out my pores...even those strips can't get it out.  I give up!!

Respected Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

If we were to write down the most sold category of products sold on the shopping networks it would be some form of skincare.  I immediately turn it off.  

No skincare product is going to prevent signs of aging.  And if you were to watch carefully the before and afters you would see a difference in lighting and camera angle.(my specialty)  And while I am at it... the younger you are you obviously are going to look better in any case most of the time.  Just waiting for them to feature 70-90 year olds and show miraculous benefits.

And while I am on my rant.... some of the hosts and vendors have had plastic surgery of some sort. Very obvious.  Look at the cheeks and jaw line of some of our presenters.  I got friends in the business LOL

YEP! this is so true also....I just sent back some products today that are not worth the price I was going to have to pay.  Yesterday I had to have a photo taken up at Rite Aide for Passport and OMGOODNESS I look dreadfully old!  It must be my bathroom mirror that makes me not looks so bad...that picture was/is like a slap in the face!

So I packed up those products this morning...one I tried out the other was still sealed in packaging.  

Unless I am willing to get in with a derm or plastic surgeon I am not going to be able to do much of anything about all the bags/sagging going on.  Those products are not working at all.