Respected Contributor

Vendors please quit lying about skincare !!!

Cellulose is not dead skin. This is an ingredient in exfoliators that helps remove debris and possibly a small amount of the surface layer. Mari lynn from Philosophy was the latest to say this , most of what we see is the product balling off , not to say it is not a good product , but we aren't all stupid and a lot of us know better. I wan't singling  out Philosophy, just describe what is really happening when the product is being used on the skin , sorry for the rant.

Honored Contributor

Re: Vendors please quit lying about skincare !!!

I don't blame you at all.  Let it out!  Half of the time the vendors and hosts don't know what they are talking about and then they are charging an arm and a leg for the product(s).  I am happy I found No 7 products which perform for a reasonable price.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

If i hadn't seen this many times before , it wouldn't bothered me, PTR has one and other companies use cellulose in their exfoliaters ,it's not a bad thing just misleading for misinformed consumers. If that much skin was coming off  , i think that would be a problem for the skin health.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Cellulose is also a humectant adding moisture to the skincare products like lotions and creams. It’s a natural occurring substance from plants. In fact, I always thought it was a form of sugar. It’s not a harmful ingredient.

Valued Contributor

What product and brand are you talking about?

Honored Contributor

@barb40. The 111 Cellulose Facial Masks sold on Q explain in the description that these masks are for hydration. I’m sure there are many other products w/ cellulose.

Valued Contributor

Shanus...Thanks for claryfying!

Honored Contributor

I get what the OP is saying and yes, it is a huge misrepresentation of what is actually happening.

Clarins has sold this type of product since the mid-80's (when I first used it). Sisley sells one too; many lines do.

The sales technique is to apply it to the back of a customers' hand, allow it to dry a bit and then rub it off. "LOOK AT ALL THE DEAD SKIN COMING OFF!!!!" says the sales rep. The customer is shocked, buys it and KA-CHING!...another sale based on a lie. It's not dead skin you see coming off, it's the product (texture of rubber cement when it rub off the excess) mixed with a small amount of dead skin cells. The visual is a FANTASTIC sales technique and the vendor/company are fully aware of this. Customers don't care about the actual ingredient that is piling off, just that the visual and sale pitch sales their skin will be glowing and YOUTHFUL.

The product does work as it's an exfoliate but....the exaggeration/lie is the problem.

Esteemed Contributor

If we were to write down the most sold category of products sold on the shopping networks it would be some form of skincare.  I immediately turn it off.  

No skincare product is going to prevent signs of aging.  And if you were to watch carefully the before and afters you would see a difference in lighting and camera angle.(my specialty)  And while I am at it... the younger you are you obviously are going to look better in any case most of the time.  Just waiting for them to feature 70-90 year olds and show miraculous benefits.

And while I am on my rant.... some of the hosts and vendors have had plastic surgery of some sort. Very obvious.  Look at the cheeks and jaw line of some of our presenters.  I got friends in the business LOL

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

If we were to write down the most sold category of products sold on the shopping networks it would be some form of skincare.  I immediately turn it off.  

No skincare product is going to prevent signs of aging.  And if you were to watch carefully the before and afters you would see a difference in lighting and camera angle.(my specialty)  And while I am at it... the younger you are you obviously are going to look better in any case most of the time.  Just waiting for them to feature 70-90 year olds and show miraculous benefits.

And while I am on my rant.... some of the hosts and vendors have had plastic surgery of some sort. Very obvious.  Look at the cheeks and jaw line of some of our presenters.  I got friends in the business LOL

@bonnielu  There’s a big difference from preventing aging and helping the “appearance” of aging and “protection” from further damage. That’s what my skincare does. I do, however understand your frustration. I have close friends in in the “biz”, as well. No way the products demonstrated are responsible for the after results or the fact that the Philosophy vendors’ faces look the same since they started on the Q.