Honored Contributor

Re: Vegan Skin Care Coming Soon

On 11/29/2014 magemay said:
On 11/29/2014 suzyQ3 said:

Sorry, but I think it sounds like a gimmick.

I'm sure that I might be using some products that are not totally "vegan," but I'm not vegan either, so I'm not going to worry about it.

< gimmick
[gim-ik]
noun
an ingenious or novel device, scheme, or stratagem, especially one designed to attract attention or increase appeal.
a concealed, usually devious aspect or feature of something, as a planor deal:
An offer that good must have a gimmick in it somewhere.
a hidden mechanical device by which a magician works a trick or agambler controls a game of chance.
Electronics Informal. a capacitor formed by intertwining two insulatedwires.
verb (used with object)
to equip or embellish with unnecessary features, especially in order toincrease salability, acceptance, etc. (often followed by up):
to gimmick up a sports car with chrome and racing stripes.
verb (used without object)
to resort to gimmickry, especially habitually.
We can agree to disagree, suzy, because I don't believe that the label of the term gimmick applies to the topic.

IMO, the very first definition describes what I mean by "gimmick." I don't fault her or anyone else for trying to stand out in a sea of players all vying for customers.

That said, the "vegan" label doesn't in particular make me excited or interested in the products.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

Okay, suzy. Taken at your word.

I'm sure you have a really good idea of how a word like that can fall way to misinterpretations and implications. I know I have to keep check of the words I choose to use.

Glad I posted so you were able to explain.

Not applicable

It's hard (where I live) to find a good Vegan product - like lipstick, blush etc. that contains NO animal ingredients.

Years ago Clarins was advertising 'no animal ingredients' - yet 'carmine' was listed (anything in any shade of red most likely uses carmine - aka cochineal extract. (also used in juices, candies, other food, ice creams, etc.) They are 'dried crushed beetle bodies'........

When I brought it up to them I was told the carmine was 'a small concentration' so they could list is as being 'animal free' when it was not.

We'll see what this line has.

2lip

Highlighted
Contributor

true, Although lactic acid can be plant-based!