Esteemed Contributor

Re: Vaseline......how can this be?

[ Edited ]

wrote:

I think I'm the odd man out here, but I can't stand the smell.  For healing and scars, I use Tamanu Oil.  It's truly amazing.

@nyc1

Smell ?  Never ,ever smelled anyting .Are you sure you are using pure Vaseline?

Esteemed Contributor

wrote:

Petrolatum dressings are used in hospitals, clinics, and wound care centers every single day of the week.  

Vaseline® Jelly is not flammable. ... Many people mistakenly believe petroleum jelly to be a fire risk because petroleum itself can be a flammable material.

However, in the way it's designed to be used and stored, 
Vaseline® Jelly is not flammable.

Honored Contributor

For years I’ve used a product called non-petroleum Vaseline.  Swear by it !

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

wrote:
I've been meaning to post this for a while now. I know there are no healing ingredients in Vaseline, but for a long time now, I swear Vaseline is helping to heal small cuts, hang nails, etc. I keep a jar of it on my nightstand, and I put it on my lips every night. Often times I'll have a hangnail or a small cut on my hand, and I apply Vaseline. Over and over again, I noticed the cuts healing much quicker when I apply the Vaseline. Am I just imagining this?

I personally prefer original A+D Ointment.   It's what many tattoo artists recommend after a tattoo.    It has all the properties of petroleum jelly plus lanolin and cod liver oil, for the Vit A & Vit D.

I've had doctors recommend it to me for many minor skin irritations,   I use it all the time.   It's great in cuticles.

Respected Contributor

Many years ago I had a relative pass away and the person who was to stay in the home till all the family members arrived all of a sudden got the jitters and did not want to be there. So we went so that she could leave and we would stay there. Well to our suprise she was gathering her stuff up and she had this big jar of Vaseline among her stuff. I said to her as she was much older then me what beautiful skin she had and she held up her jar of vaseline and said the credit goes to this product this is the only kind of cream I put on my face and body. I was really surprised to hear that statement but she said she had been doing that for years. Truth fully she had picture perfect skin .

Trusted Contributor

I have had multiple skin cancers removed from my face, arms, legs , and chest.  Every time a biopsy or surgery has been performed I have been given specific instructions by my derm to apply generous amounts of Vaseline to the wound to promote healing.  He also mentioned that it was fine  to use Aquaphor , but Vaseline is so much cheaper why would you?  Vaseline promotes healing and keeps the wound moist and bacteria out.  It works wonderfully well.  It also lessens scarring.   I  use it for any type of wound.  Love it.

Esteemed Contributor

wrote:

Another excellent healing petroleum based product is Aquaphor.

i swear by Aquaphor!  I had a terrible scrape from falling against a metal shelve last summer and I used Aquaphir from the beginning and I must say it took alittle while but it all healed and without a scare which I was so afraid of.  I applied it daily several times and never let it dry out.  I've been using it on my lips for a long time in place of Vaseline .  I love this product!!

Trusted Contributor

wrote:
I've been meaning to post this for a while now. I know there are no healing ingredients in Vaseline, but for a long time now, I swear Vaseline is helping to heal small cuts, hang nails, etc. I keep a jar of it on my nightstand, and I put it on my lips every night. Often times I'll have a hangnail or a small cut on my hand, and I apply Vaseline. Over and over again, I noticed the cuts healing much quicker when I apply the Vaseline. Am I just imagining this?

According to the American Academy of Dermatology, "To help the injured skin heal, use petroleum jelly to keep the wound moist. Petroleum jelly prevents the wound from drying out and forming a scab; wounds with scabs take longer to heal. This will also help prevent a scar from getting too large, deep or itchy. As long as the wound is cleaned daily, it is not necessary to use anti-bacterial ointments."

https://www.aad.org/public/skin-hair-nails/injured-skin/wound-care

Honored Contributor

We always had Vaseline in the house when I was growing up. I still use Vaseline daily on my lips. I mix it with body lotion and use it on my feet & elbows. I also use it under my eyes at night. My dermatologist told me to use it instead of Neosporin like products for wounds. I recently tried Aquafor which is part petroleum jelly, and it is easier to work with, but a small tube is very expensive. There are knock offs of Aquafor that are cheaper, but Vaseline is still a bargain. 

Honored Contributor

It is the wonder jelly for a reason :-)

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise