Honored Contributor

Just noticed a bottle of VO5 Shine, Glow & Go Beauty Oil at my grocery store.  It's for hair, skin, and nails.  I looked at the ingredients and was pleased to see no cones at all.  Most hair oils I find has cones, and usually as the first ingredient.  I try to limit the silicones in my hair as I think they have a tendency to build up especially if you use sulfate-free products, which I do.  My Jonathan Silky Dirt finishing cream does have silicone in it, but it's the only product I use that does.  

The directions say to spray on dry or wet hair from roots to ends to prep hair for gentle cleaning OR post-shampoo spray into palms and apply lightly on damp or dry hair.

For body, after showering spray and massage into damp or dry skin.  

For those concerned about how well it absorbs into the skin, it's lighter than the Palmer's Mositurizing Body Oil/Shea Moisture Oil mixture I normally use after my shower.  It has a light, kinda fruity fragrance.  

I tried it Friday in my hair before using John Frieda Air Waves and was pleased with the result.  Then, this morning I used it again before the styling cream and gel I usually use and had the best hair ever (for me).  I have curly permed hair that I wear natural.  

I can post pics and ingredients if anybody is interested.  

Respected Contributor

They will not build up. These days they are made to wash out. Ususally  the main silicone evaperates as your hair tries. its primary use is to just distribute the oils. I used every type of oil  and never ever had build up

Honored Contributor

Actually, the main use of silicones in hair products is for shine.  They do have their good properties in that they will also protect the hair from heat styling.  But, I don't use curling/flat irons and with the diffuser on my hair dryer I don't get much heat.  Some of them wash out easily, and some don't so I'll continue to avoid using any more than necessary.  

Also, a slilcone can help hair color t penetrate better.  They really aren't needed for oil distribution.  I mix up my own oils at home and they distribute just fine without any silicone.  

Regardless, I was pleased with the silicone-free concoction, at least for my hair.  For my body, I still prefer my heavier oils.

Edited:  Cyclomethicone easily washes out; Dimethicone may need a sulfate shampoo to wash out.  

Esteemed Contributor

I used VO 5. For hair back in the 70,S.  Didn,t have a thousand choices like today.

Honored Contributor

This is not the old VO5 creams of old, which I believe is still available nor is it the hot oil treatment.  It's an oil in a spray bottle.

5345195e7549938cf1df1c74fe35b859.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

@qvcaddition wrote:

I used VO 5. For hair back in the 70,S.  Didn,t have a thousand choices like today.

The use of Alberto VO5 hair oil goes back prior to the 70s. When I was a little girl in the '50s and '60s my mother's hairdresser used the original VO5 as part of deep conditioning treatments.  She would mix it with the conditioner and place the client under a hooded dryer.  I continued to use it at home as an adult until more sophisticated products came out for adding oil and moisture to my hair type (naturally kinky curl).  

Some of you may not be able to relate to this, but in the days when straightening kinky textured hair with a hot comb was vogue, Alberto VO5 was awesome for protecting the hair shaft from the high heat.  {Unrelated to this thread: hot comb straightening was one of Madame CJ Walker's major introductions to her customers for altering the texture of their kinky hair.} 

Honored Contributor

This new formulation has a lot of natural oils that you'll find in the more sophisticated and more expensive preparations like Sunflower Seed Oil, Buriti Oil, Macadamia Nut Oil, Argan Oil, Shea Butter, and Coconut Oil.  Plus, the first ingredient is not a silicone, so you are actually paying for oils and not a silicone with a drop of the natural oils they use in their claims.  

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the recc, @Icegoddess.

Just read that if you have fine hair (mine is wispy baby-fine, LOL), rub a small amount between your hands then apply from the mid-shaft down.

Valued Contributor

@Icegoddess, I am interested in the ingredients.  TIA

Esteemed Contributor

@jazzbabe  Vo5 Glow and Go ingredients,  from Vo5 website :

5 Vitamin Formula with Sunflower Seed Oil, Burity Oil, Macadamia Oil, Argan Oil, Shea Butter, Coconut Oil, Grapeseed Oil, Coconut Oil

Long-lasting Fragrance

Paraben-free

Silicone-free

Oops! Glow and Go! I had written Spray and Go!