Honored Contributor

Re: VIPs got haircuts/color?

My husband must be a VIP.  He gets a haircut every 10 days like clock work.  He got one yesterday from his favorite stylist who has been cutting his hair since he was 16 years old. Me!

I gave myself a hair cut last week too.  I look much better.

Respected Contributor

I don't understand why you say a hairdresser will automatically lose their license if they work on a client in their home.  I've been to a couple of hairdressers whose business is in their home.  They are licensed.  And think about all those celebrities in Hollywood that have the stylist come to their home.  Most of them don't go to salons and sit there with the common folk.  I think it depends on the State that you live in as to what the rules are.

Honored Contributor

@Boop4321 wrote:

so what it doesnt concern you move on !!!!!

Exasperated GIF | Gfycat

Honored Contributor

@Scooby Doo   You can have a licensed salon in your home if your community allows it. There are many rules and regulations that must be followed..seperate entrance,seperate bathroom, so many square feet, mininum number of towels and equiptment.  In other words, it is a business. A valid license for the shop as well as well as for the stylist must be displayed. This comes from the state.

If you do not have a licensed inspected business it is illegal to do hair or nails in your home.

You can get away with it if you do not charge or accept money.  You can cut your kids hair at home, for example.

You can do hair in a different location other than a salon if you work mainly out of a licensed salon and have your license. There are rules to follow..like patron must be listed in your appointment book and you must be actively employed.  All money must be accounted for and go trough the salon and not right into your pocket. 

The laws are very through and strict. You  have to pass a state board exam to get your license. Half of the exam involves cosmotology laws.

At one time salons were not allowed to be opened on a Sunday.  Sunday night was New Year's Eve and  a salon I worked in was open.  The state examiner came in and closed us down.  The owner was fined.  I imagine someone reported us.  Other hairstylists will report you sometimes.  You just never know.

Respected Contributor

Well for those folks who have been able to get their hairs done by a professional lucky you. However, because my stylist is not part of my everyday circle of people, I would not be comfortable being around her right now...too much of a risk for me and her as well.  I haven’t had my hair cut or colored since early February...until yesterday. Did my own roots with root rescue (color matched perfectly) and also lobbed off about 2 inches.  Lays much better and I can hold off for about another 6 to 8 weeks before I start looking shaggy. But the good thing is I’m not out and about except maybe once a week to go into work for a meeting and then run to the store and Lord knows no one is looking at me but me 🤷🏻‍♀️

Respected Contributor

I was not tring to be mean spirited in the question. 

My husband looks like the shaggy dog even with my trusty scissors. Got me thinking about the network news anchors, the politicians, spokes people, the weather guy etc. Most do not look like they have missed hair cuts.

Honored Contributor

I am probably the poster you recall telling the forum that I had a haircut appt at my  hairdresser's house.  If it makes anyone feel better, it was the worst haircut she's ever given me Smiley Surprised  Looked much better a too long than too short and crooked.  SuzieQ_2 was right, I wasn't braggadocios but I was excited at the opportunity to get a cut.  We live in a county that has had  7 (6 at the time) reported cases of COVID and 0 deaths.  And I did know she could lose her license but not till after she had cut my hair.  She asked me not to tell anyone because she could lose her license.   This cut that usually lasts 6 weeks at most, should last 3 months.  Mom said she would straighten it up for me. 

Honored Contributor

One of my neighbors has a salon and she was going to customers' homes.  She was warned that she could not do that legally and that if she was found to do it again she would loose her license so now she stays home.  Even if I could get my hair done illegally and did, I sure would not post it anywhere.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

We have managed to control the virus only by honoring the stay at home/social distancing rules. We have nothing else to fight this.

Unless you are in a state that allows this because of so little infection, you are putting every healthcare worker in you town at jeapordy, and adding costs to our medical system we all pay for.  We have 60,000 deaths right now, why would folks be so irresponsible to say they are free to do what they want?  

I mailed my hairdresser of 20 years my cost for haircut and color; I bought a root touch up in February.

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Some women have bragged about going to their hair stylist's home to get a cut and color.

I hope that they realize that the stylist could loose their license by conducting business outside of their work.

And that's not even taking into account the risk of not being six feet apart.

All of that risk, just for a hair cut and color.

I guess as long as they are comfortable with that risk......

isn't that on the stylist to risk their livelihood?  more than the clients.

actually enjoying a break from blowing out my hair