Highlighted
Valued Contributor

I recently ordered the VALOOM Rootie, and it is arriving today. 😊 

I know several ladies here have and love it.  I understand how to use it for the side and back, but any suggestions on how to give volume on top?  I have fine, thin hair that just barely brushes the top of my shoulders.

Thanks! 

Honored Contributor

I love my Rootie!Heart The thinnest part of my hair is on the top, crown area. I use the Rootie there but only using the Rootie briefly with each section so it doesn't crimp too much and make it frizzy. You just have to play around with it  until you get your hair looking the way you want it. That might take a few go-rounds but once you get to know where your Rootie works best then you'll become a pro at using it in no time at all and you'll get faster at it the more you practice. The first few tries looked strange, I won't lie. But then I realized that I was using it in the wrong spots. Stay away from the hair closest to your face. Start at about an inch or so from the hair line. The top part is where you'll need to experiment to see where you can crimp or not. Good luck! @Swedishmiss 

Honored Contributor

MrKongsMom (?) on you tube has a wonderful and complete tutorial on using this tool. Check this one out. It seems the important issue is placing it under the top layer of hair, as close to the scalp as possible and she only goes a few “clamps” down the hair section. She also explains the importance of a heat protectant, using a low temp heat setting and making sure hair is dry first. 

Hope this helps.

Honored Contributor

I love the Rootie! I think it's one of those tools you have to play with to see what works best for you. I find I need just one "crimp" at the roots and then move on vs what they show (doing multiple crimps down the length of the hair).

Love this tool for volume!!

Honored Contributor

My obsession with VOLOOM started a few years ago when HSN offered the full-size version, the Classic. I bought that one immediately and it was good but the thing is heavy and difficult for me to hold with my arthritis. So then one day I saw they came out with a newer smaller one called the Petite which has the same size nubs but less of them so it is lighter and smaller...easier to manipulate...and yes, I bought that one, too.

Then along comes the Rootie. The difference between the Rootie and the Petite is the nubs on the Rootie are much smaller and the crimping plate is smaller. The Rootie is the lightest and smallest of all of them...my fave.

Valued Contributor

@SilleeMee 

Thanks SilleeMee for your suggestions/encouragement.  It sounds like your hair is very similar to mine.  I can’t wait to start playing with it.  😊 

Valued Contributor

@Shanus 

Thank you!  I just finished the video by MrKongsMom and it was very helpful.  I confess I have never used a heat protectant.  Is there one you would recommend?

Valued Contributor

@SahmIam 

So glad to hear the Rootie works so well for you.  My hair is flat, fine and thinning a bit.  I am so hopeful this will work for me to give a bit of volume!

Respected Contributor

Where do you purchase the Rootie?

Honored Contributor

@cuddlesmama wrote:

Where do you purchase the Rootie?

@cuddlesmama 

I bought two different size Voloom irons from Walmart dot com. They are sold and shipped from the company who makes them, Ooomp Innovations. You can also buy the Voloom products directly from their website, Voloom dot com.