Honored Contributor

Re: Using eye shadow as eyeliner?

I must be a LOT older than the rest of you...but eyeliner and mascara used to be SOLD in CAKE FORM.....to be used with water and a brush...

Some women SPIT on the mascara to make it "gooier".....

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote

@SilleeMee does the eyeshadow you use to tightline last all day? I've never tried this method because I just assumed I had to use something waxy or oily to have it last in my tightline. 

@Texasmouse 

Yes, the eyeshadows I use for tight-lining last all day for me. I think it's b/c the shadow is applied in between lash hairs so it stays put that way. 

Esteemed Contributor

I never saw mascara or eyeliner in cake form. It must have been discontinued that way a long time ago. 

Can't even comprehend spitting on mascara. That is unsanitary and could cause problems. Why anyone would do that is beyond me; no one needs a gooey mascara.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@MoJoV wrote:

As I get older I think pencil eyeliner is starting to look harsh, even lighter shades. I've been experimenting with using eye shadow as liner.  It takes a light hand. I won't go without some type of liner. Do any of you beauty experts have tips on using eye shadow this way?  Help!

@MoJoV   Trish McEvoy is one line that carries a liquid that goes on the brush before shadow liner to make it stay in place. I think MAC has one also. 

Also lid primer placed close to lashes helps shadow liner be more lasting. I like using the same shade under the eye as my crease shade which is only a few shades darker than my complexion. Top lid is tightlined with a brown or charcoal pencil for definition and then a thin line of shadow close to lashes.

To keep shadow liner close to lashes, use the brush pointing downward from above lashes and wiggle the shadow close and into lashes. A straight lining brush can also help. 

I use eyeliner first, and then put shadow over it to soften the look. Usually it's a dark liner, and a lighter shadow, with a bit of shimmer to it.  I've been doing this for years!  Give it a try!

Honored Contributor

I have used eye shadow as liner on occasion--have a good brush to use but find it is too smudgy looking--now I haven't tried to use it wet and that may help. I need a very thin smooth line so I do use a gel liner--they are my fave as they glide on without tugging.

Respected Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

I must be a LOT older than the rest of you...but eyeliner and mascara used to be SOLD in CAKE FORM.....to be used with water and a brush...

oh yes I remember that. My mom used cake mascara when I was a child. She sat at her dressing table and applied it. Usually she wet the cake with water but sometimes she spit on it instead. 

Harmonize the World
Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

I still have cake mascara! The Longcils formula is the best mascara I've ever used, wetting the brush with water, of course! Something about that brush gave me the longest lashes! So, I only use this when I really want to make a statement.

For OP, since I like a soft lined look, I'll use either the Sephora 24-hour or Urban Decay liner pencil and then smudge the line w/ a dry, flat brush. Shadow never seemed to work as well for me, staying in place that is.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use eye shadow as an eyeliner. I use MACs Sketch. I have a Morphe brush that is stiff and line close my lashes. I brush a little off to make it softer looking. Then line my lower lashes as well.  I remember years ago Ulta had an eyeshadow you could wet and use as an eyeliner. Loved it. 

I remember very well the cake mascara. Using both water and spit! Good memories. If you are a fan of Doris Day.. in the movie Please don't eat the daisies...she's using it at the very beginning of the movie when she's trying to get dressed. Not sure if she spit on it however. 😂🤷🏻‍♀️

Respected Contributor

This is the mascara I used in junior high. Wet it with water, never spit!

Incidentally, my sister-in-law still uses this!

cd80acbc236185ba7232bd45b4d4a09f.jpg