Trusted Contributor

Re: Using bees to produce beauty products.

@Karnerblue wrote:

@HappyDaze I'm not really sure how they were getting the venom.  My concerns were how they would extract the venom without harming them.  But I see @ElvisShops has been kind enough to provide that explanation.  But it still bothers me.  I wish they (the bees) could be left alone in their environment to do what they do best.  Silly, I know.  I let little things get to me that others laugh at.

@Karnerblue I agree with you. Using bees for our benefits again is no different from testing animals. Someone initially had to do research on using been venom to see how humans could benefit from it. I see by googling it has been used as alternative medicine in RA, MS and nerve pain. So in my mind that is doing clinical research using bees in the same way cosmetic companies use rabbits to test products i.e. if it burns the rabbits eyes, it will burn ours. 

For the First Time, U.S. Considers Declaring a Bee Endangered

The imperiled rusty-patched bumblebee, which pollinates blueberries, apples, and other

crops, has disappeared from 87 percent of its historic range.

Since we keep taking their habitats, they have less to pollinate. without bees, the environment collapses. 

As for harvesting the venom without hurting the bees, maybe, but I'm skeptical of everything put put there that someone wants us to buy.

As for honey, beekeepers can harvest the honey without hurting the hive. 

“Under normal conditions, a healthy colony of honey bees can have surplus ‘hive products’ removed without overtaxing the colony,” Eric C. Mussen, a bee expert at the University of California-Davis, told me via email. “Beekeepers do not have to ‘put pressure’ on the bees to perform. They perform at a high level anyway, so long as conditions are good. Beekeepers can only modify what is going on; they cannot increase or decrease output, like you can with a machine.”

Smart beekeepers leave the bees enough honey to nibble on over the winter, added Ramesh Sagili, principle investigator at Oregon State University’s Honey Bee Lab. “[Beekeepers] aren’t technically taking off the comb, they’re taking the excess,” he said. So that excess is fine for you to enjoy spread over your toast – especially if you buy from local producers at farmers markets or well-stocked stores, as they often struggle to compete with cheaper honey imports from places like China. Even better, supporting your neighborhood bees means supporting robust pollination for your local food system. Now that’s what I call a sweet deal. (I should point out that many vegans don’t eat honey for animal rights reasons

I'm done with P.C. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's easier.
Esteemed Contributor

I am probably wrong ,but don't bees die after stinging something?

Trusted Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

I am probably wrong ,but don't bees die after stinging something?

When a honey bee stings a person, it cannot pull the barbed stinger back out. It leaves behind not only the stinger, but also part of its abdomen and digestive tract, plus muscles and nerves. This massive abdominal rupture kills the honey bee. Honey bees are the only species of bees to die after stinging.

Honored Contributor

@Karnerblue, I don't think anyone is laughing at you here. I know I certainly wasn't. My opinion is that bees are essential to humans. So we certainly don't want to harm them or lower the population any more than is currently the case.

But if they can benefit us in terms of medical or cosmetic use,  without our harming them, I'm all for it.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@60sgirl @JeanLouiseFinch thank you for the information. I know honey is okay as I generally get my honey from our co-op and those people are fierce about keeping their bees safe and free from harm.

Contributor

Vegans don't use honey in any form because of just what you mentioned.  It bothers many people to disturb this natural flow of life on this planet.

Trusted Contributor

@cupcaked wrote:

Vegans don't use honey in any form because of just what you mentioned.  It bothers many people to disturb this natural flow of life on this planet.

yes, that's true. Vegans do not use anything made by, produced by, or a byproduct of anything with a face. In other words, only plant based products, i.e. grown in the ground. 

Honored Contributor

No, it doesn't bother me. The information is out there for those who wish to find it. I also consume honey in many ways.