Respected Contributor

Re: Used a different brand hair color

@Witchy Woman  thank you for the information!  does it say medium neutral brown on the box?  I am a medium brown naturally with no reddish/orange tones to my hair....just trying to get something like that with shine to it. 

Honored Contributor

@tsavorite wrote:

I am unhappy with my haircolor....done at the salon.  It's not terrible but just not what I want!  My understanding is that mine is a "deposit" only and no lifting is going on.  So what I see is a strong undertone of red in my hair.  It looks bad on me with my skintone.  I keep telling her to use ash tone to get rid of it and she insists that's all she puts in is straight ash with neutral of course (neutral is what covers gray) but it just pulls this nasty loud RED going on.  I take a selfie to see for myself and YEP it's RED RED RED! and shortly it becomes Orange!

I would LOVE to find a product that I could use myself and just get the shade I want for once.  

Could I ask a question....do most of you ladies use permanent hair color on roots? and semi permanent on ends to achieve your desired color??

Perhaps these box ones at the store you are using are just a straight out product of permanent which you then pull thur ends for last 10mins??

Thanks for any help....I may just do this instead of my next salon visit in July.

I always use permanent hair color.

I have a friend who uses L'Oreal 6C Preference, Cool Light Brown. She had your problem with pulling red and her color is beautiful now with No red tones. Her hair is shiny and one of the prettiest brunette shades I have ever seen. It isn't ashy either @tsavorite.

Honored Contributor

Nice to hear, @Witchy Woman. 8)

I'm also a Revlon Colorsilk fan, but just bought Garnier Nutrisse Ultra Coverage as the gray and white hairs at my roots (hairline, top, crown, & nape) are extra stubborn.

Got it on sale with a coupon so I figured it's worth a shot. Cat Tongue

Respected Contributor

@Trinity11  thank you!  I will look for this color...perhaps it will do the same for meWoman Happy

Honored Contributor

@tsavorite wrote:

@Trinity11  thank you!  I will look for this color...perhaps it will do the same for meWoman Happy

@tsavorite I helped her with it. It came out very shiny, killed the red and with special shampoo for color treated hair, it has not faded. I loved that the ashy greenish tint so often seen with light ash brown dye never happened...just a lovely cool light brown.

Esteemed Contributor

@tsavorite

I think the Revlon box says Medium Brown, #41

In the Garnier color it was Medium Natural Brown, #50.

I always look for just the "Medium Brown" as there are always goldens or ashes too.

I find those just go on without any red or too dark.

Hope that helps.

Esteemed Contributor

@Trinity11

Next time I'm shopping, I'm going to try that L'Oreal color.

Most brands have just a neutral brown and this sounds like something I'd want to try.

Thanks.

Honored Contributor

I use Colorsilk Light Golden Brown on my medium brown hair.
Trusted Contributor

Thank you for the tips everyone, I really appreciate it. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

I have been using Colorsilk for the last 21 years, I am happy to stick with it, color is perfect, no bad smell, no ammonia and the price at Walmart of $2.68 cant be beat!!

Me too...its probably been that long for me too. My hair is naturally blonde...and I have natural highlights as well...just noticed this last year...so not sure if I need to color anymore..though it seems to add body to my hair. Love colorsilk!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West