Super Contributor

Re: Used a different brand hair color

@PilatesLover

its easy to apply to back of head. i have below shoulder length and have always done myself. i use the whole bottle which is always too much but hate to waste anything.

just keep squirting all over head until hair is saturated. i put an old towel around my shoulders with a hair clip. then once hair is all saturated just ball up on top of head for the duration of time, just like when its saturated with shampoo.

you cant really do it wrong if you just saturate whole head.

i color every 2 months. it lasts that long.  hope this helps!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I colored my own hair for years. (now I have it done professioally every 3 weeks) @Witchy Woman When I did my own, I touched up my roots every 2 weeks. 

I used whatever was on sale except Color Silk.  The few times I tried it, my hair was dull and dry.  I know a lot of you love it but my hair didn't. Garnier products always gave me a nice color and shine.

Eventually I went to Sally's and bought separate color and developer as I could mix as little or as much as needed. 

I'm the kind of person who stockpiles stuff for fear they will be discontinued.  I had a cabinet with multiple boxes of store bought hair color as well as Sally's hair colors.

One day I saw a top view of my hair and there they were, Hot Roots.  That was the last time I did home coloring.

The products sat in the closet for a few years before I finally tossed all of them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lulu1 wrote:

I colored my own hair for years. (now I have it done professioally every 3 weeks) @Witchy Woman When I did my own, I touched up my roots every 2 weeks. 

I used whatever was on sale except Color Silk.  The few times I tried it, my hair was dull and dry.  I know a lot of you love it but my hair didn't. Garnier products always gave me a nice color and shine.

@lulu1  Hummmm. Touching up roots every 2 wks. You just reminded me why I let mine go white.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lulu1 wrote:

@lulu1 Like yourself, Colorsilk left my hair dry. I use Nice N Easy and apply it every 3 weeks on the roots for 35 minutes, run it through all of my hair the last 10. I always use a throw away plastic cap because the heat helps it to take. It works beautifully and comes out prettier than any salon I have ever had color my hair. 

I tried Garnier but it didn't last and it faded.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I used to switch if drugstore was out of my brand/color.  

But - years ago, I discovered Feria .... would never switch again.  I now have a "subscription" for it from Amazon so I'm sure I always have a box (or two) on hand.

ETA ... I lighten my hair to camoflage white/gray ... 

Esteemed Contributor

@nougat

How is your sweet Tote doing?  Loved seeing his picture on the Pet Lovers board!

Super Contributor

@Witchy Woman

thanks for asking!  she is ok but I just called the vets office this morning cuz I never got a call on the last urine test from a week ago. vet not in today, ugh!

so asked for a call Monday with results. dont know why no call, hes usually really good about things and always calls.

so will know more Monday.

Respected Contributor

@PilatesLover wrote:

I should switch to home coloring. My hairdresser raised her prices again.

Is it difficult to get the hang of applying color to the back of your head? Any tips to share?

I do the back of my next door neighbors hair; my hair is nearly waist length-I refresh the whole thing.

I use Color Charm Demi permanent color by Wella; I buy at Sally Beauty. They can help answer questions. I have a dark blonde that holds red/orange so I mix Light Ash Blonde (level 8AB) with a tube of Med. Ash Blonde (level 7 AB) We'll see how miuch fading occurs over the next month.

Sally sells permanent hair color also. Try googling videos on how to color DIY. I've only been doing this for the past 4 months. $$ was the reason I DI myself as well.

Respected Contributor

I am unhappy with my haircolor....done at the salon.  It's not terrible but just not what I want!  My understanding is that mine is a "deposit" only and no lifting is going on.  So what I see is a strong undertone of red in my hair.  It looks bad on me with my skintone.  I keep telling her to use ash tone to get rid of it and she insists that's all she puts in is straight ash with neutral of course (neutral is what covers gray) but it just pulls this nasty loud RED going on.  I take a selfie to see for myself and YEP it's RED RED RED! and shortly it becomes Orange!

I would LOVE to find a product that I could use myself and just get the shade I want for once.  

Could I ask a question....do most of you ladies use permanent hair color on roots? and semi permanent on ends to achieve your desired color??

Perhaps these box ones at the store you are using are just a straight out product of permanent which you then pull thur ends for last 10mins??

Thanks for any help....I may just do this instead of my next salon visit in July.

Esteemed Contributor

@tsavorite

It's funny you mention this because, inevitably, my haircolor at the salon has red highlights within a day.   Last time I told her to up the ash, and it helped a bit, but not enough.

When I home color, I never see red.  I always use a medium neutral brown -- no ash, no gold, no red.  When I use ash at home, it is darker than I want at first and then rinses out.

Color Silk is no ammonia permanent color.  As I mentioned above, it is what I normally use, but decided to try the Garnier this time.  

My hair color is truly medium brown and only ges red highlights if I spent a lot of time in the sun (which I no longer do).

I do just roots most of the time, and pull through the color every third time or so.  Sometimes I get lazy and just slap in all over and leave it on 30 minutes.

It always seems to turn out better than at the salon!