Esteemed Contributor

Used a different brand hair color

I'm a devoted Revlon Color Silk user, but yesterday I tried Garnier Nutrisse Medium Brown 50 for the first time.

I'm loving the results!  I never let my gray show, so not sure how much there is Cat Happy  When my color starts to fade -- 3 weeks or so -- I do a touch up.  Yes, it's frequent, but an hour out of my day to look better isn't too much.

However, it gave a very even, very realistic color and my hair was in great shape.  It was a little creamier than Color Silk and easy to apply.

I will continue to use Color Silk, but I think it is probably a good idea to change brands now and then. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Used a different brand hair color

I have been using Colorsilk for the last 21 years, I am happy to stick with it, color is perfect, no bad smell, no ammonia and the price at Walmart of $2.68 cant be beat!!

Honored Contributor

I'm another Color Silk user for years and see no reason to switch.  2/$6 at Walgreens.  

Honored Contributor

Another Colorsilk fan here. I use it to cover the grey. I don’t have a ton of grey but it tends to show against my brown hair.
Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman     how fortunate - you now have two different brands that work for you. I don't know if you've gone through the "devastation" when a favorite product is discontinued and then you're forced to find something else. When it's something as "out there" as your hair, you don't want to have to go through the trial and error period for too long. For me, it seems like my body chemistry eventually rejects a product after I use it for a while so I purposely try to have a cache of products that work. Just in case.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Trusted Contributor

I should switch to home coloring. My hairdresser raised her prices again.

Is it difficult to get the hang of applying color to the back of your head? Any tips to share?

Honored Contributor

@PilatesLover wrote:

I should switch to home coloring. My hairdresser raised her prices again.

Is it difficult to get the hang of applying color to the back of your head? Any tips to share?

I have very short hair and use most of the Color Silk bottle.  Putting it on the back of the head is no problem.  Just make sure it is totally covered--like washing your hair.  That said, I'm not sure how easy it would be if one's hair is shoulder length or longer.  

Esteemed Contributor

@PilatesLover

I usually apply the back first and just run the bottle up the back in "rows" until I reach the crown of my head.  

Then, I smoosh the color in and around a bit.  Not much as I know you are not supposed to rub it in.  It seems to work as I've asked DH if any gray shows in the back.  He said it does not.

But, like I said, I never wait until it's showing anyway, so it never has a chance to get out there Cat LOL

I do have should length hair, but it is fine and one bottle covers roots and beyond if I want.

I likely will continue using Color Silk most of the time since I have a huge stockpile of my "natural brown."  Can't beat the price.

But, it was a nice surprise to have something else work, too.

My hairdresser wants me to come in for color, but it's just too expensive for me.  And she doesn't charge as much as most salons.

Super Contributor

@Witchy Woman

I have used several brands. colorsilk is the cheapest and I have used alot. then I too tried Nutrisse in golden mahogany brown and WOW! what a good color and nice brand!

they give a special olive oil? or some kind of soothing ingredient in theirs and it seems so much less harsh from the others.

last color was Loreal, i buy whatever is on sale and try diff colors in the brown family.

but may just stick with Nutrisse as my go to.

Honored Contributor

Someone here mentioned permatint.  I got it at amazon.  It's around $11, but you can easily mix as much as you want and save the unused portion.  I used to toss unused portions, no more.