Esteemed Contributor

Urea cream experiences/recommendations?

I have a dang callous on my foot and yes I have one of those grinder things. But I was wondering about urea cream or gel and if anyone has any experience using this product for callous removal and/or treatment of toenail fungus? I don't have fungus (yay) but when I was reading info on a urea gel it also had people saying it helped w/ toenail fungus.

The one I was looking at is called Ellocy 42% Urea Gel Max Plus Salicylic & Hyaluronic Acid - Softens and Rehydrates Cracked Heels, Elbows, Feet, Hands & Helps Rid Toenail Fungus

Anyone have any experience w/ this product or similar?

Thanks is advance,

Kate

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

Re: Urea cream experiences/recommendations?

[ Edited ]

One of the chemo drugs my husband was taking (xeloda pill form) tremendously dried out my husband's hands and feet. He took this drug for a year but it didn't help rid the cancer. However while taking it, his Dr/team told him to use creams with urea in it. He had a prescription for it but our pharmacy had trouble getting it and never could fill it for him.

However there are a few creams/lotions out there with urea in it. You have to read lables carefully to find urea in them - and there ar very few out there. We learned actually that there are a few creams geared for folks who have diabetes because apparently if you have diabetes, your skin can/may dry out badly.

So they are out there, you just have to look for them and read your labels. These creams did help my husband's hands and feet. His team changed his chemo protocol to a different chemo drug (now an infusion of another drug) since the xeloda did not work forhim. Hence his hands and feet are slowly coming back to being better.  

Let me also throw out that while on the xeloda, the best thing he found to be even better for his dry, cracked hands and feet was vaseline at night wearing socks and gloves after he slathered on the vaseline.

Esteemed Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD

Thank you for sharing your experience.

I hope your dear husband finds treatment that works to rid his body of cancer.
"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

Thank you much @kate2357 , so do we.

Respected Contributor

Flexitol Heel Balm has Urea.  Sold at CVS and similar.  under $10. It's OK. works for a couple days.

To be honest, the best heel cream i've used is Glytone Heel and Elbow cream. It has 29.5% Free Acid Value of Glycoloc Acid. Really powers thru the heel crud. $50+ per jar but it lasts all summer.  once a week is plenty.

For these treatments i use gloves to apply and slip foot in bag, then a sock.   leave overnight.

Esteemed Contributor

@CatsyCline 

Thank you for your rec. My heels are fine, just have a blasted callous on the footpad of my left foot. Was reading about callous removers and Urea cream/gel kept coming up as something that helps soften feet. They also mentioned it helped w/ toenail fungus and I just wondered if anyone had much experience w/ Urea cream. Again, thanks for your rec.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I haven't tried this yet, but with summer coming, I'm going to buy the products soon...

From the Dining on a Dime cookbook Volume 2 by Tawra Kellam and Jill Cooper, page 390.

How To Heal Dry Feet and Cracked Heels:

2% Salicylic Acid (acne pads or acne cream)

Gold Bond Ultimate Healing With Skin Therapy Cream

Wipe feet with acne pad or spread thin layer of cream on feet.  Then spread Gold Bond on feet.  Put on socks and repeat each night until the feet are healed.

Looks like a simple solution.

Super Contributor

Something else occurred to me.  Are you sure it's not a Plantar wart?  My mom had one on the ball of her foot and it looked a lot like a thick callous but wouldn't go away for the longest time.  It hurt to walk on, too.

Funny thing, though...at the time she had a really sweet Cocker Spaniel that took an interest in that spot on her foot and began licking it daily.  It went away!  

I suppose it's true that dogs have a healing agent in their saliva.

Good luck.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@kate2357   I have really, really dry feet...especially the heels but no callous.  After any treatment to my feet for exfoliatig, I use vaseline...recommended by the dermatologist...vaseline, then socks.

My heela get so bad that sometimes I have a hard time walking and so I try to wear shoes that have a covered back, which for summer is  difficult.  I have used a lot of creams over the years and the vaseline works the best for me.