Esteemed Contributor

Re: Update on the Artis 'Fluentis" #8 Fdn. Brush from Neiman Marcus (long)

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@CoG wrote:

QVC's Atris set of ovals 1,3 and 6 are a major disappointment.  Had I not received NM's Oval 8 first I would think the brushes a collosal waste of money.  The oval 6 is so SMALL in comparison to the NM's  Oval 8 it's hard to believe they're from the same company.  It's barely wide enough for a smooth highlighter application, 1 1/4 inches in greatest diameter.  NM" Oval 8 is 2 3/4 inches broad, so wide there is a learning curve for makeup in fewer swipes/passes. 

Aesthetically, the Q brushes are unsatisfactory.  NM's sleek chrome and black handles are like fine cutlery.  The white oval inserts in QVC's Artis brushes are quaint. like last minute adjustments to keep the cost down.   Functionally , the Q's oval 1 is useless unless you use liner paint or want the goth smudge for your eyes.  The only saving grace, the only reason I didn't immediately put them back in their coated cardboard boxes is that a forum reviewer quoted a $50.00 price tag fot the cleansing pad. Q's set did come with cleanser and pad. 

NM's  Oval 8 is the very best powder brush I have ever used. Period. 

I'll be purchasing an Oval  7 and a round for eye shadow Artis from NM as soon as I get over the shock and the feeling that the Q's been shortchanging the customer on items like this all along,  as soon as the blood pressure approaches normal level.  I'll use the elegant black velvet box the NM Artis comes in to store them all until I find the case (I'm relatively sure there is or will be a storage case for those of us who didn't purchase the $330.00 set  LOL)

I would really like to know how those who bought the "chrome" handle brushes feel about their purchases. 

JMO, but regardless of the quality of the brushes, I think that $50 for basically a microfiber towel that will need replacement is a total rip-off. There's no reason not to just use a microfiber towel of your own. And if you so desire, you can use any brush cleaner or, my preference, just mild soap and water.

Just to clarify, you mention QVC's oval 1 brush; it's actually a linear brush.

I've used the brush egg and sprayed it with a spray brush cleaner and it comes out fine.   

Trusted Contributor

Gee SuzyQ, I ordered the Neiman Marcus three piece introductory set of Artis which includes the linear 1.  It is thin and better suited for liners than the QVC's thin brush I bought.

Does anyone know where to find the Oval between 8 and 10.  If I can't find it I'll probably just get another 8.  I haven't received the knockoff Oh Wow from Amazon yet. The dimensions suggest it is equivalent to an Oval 6.  

Please someone, I really would like to know where the chrome handled brushes were purchased and what you think of them.  thanks in advance! 

Valued Contributor

I received my artis set and so far I'm really loving the oval 6. i don't find it too small,or too big.  I do get an amazing airbrushed finish like nothing else I've used.  And my tool stash includes some very high quality brushes from shiseido, trish mcevoy, Bobbi brown, Laura mercier, It, becca...plus beauty blenders..you name it, I probably have used it, other than an airbrush machine.

I've been using the 6 for foundation, blending concealer, applying powder to set foundation and concealer,as well as applying blush and highlighter.,,IMO, it's a real workhorse.  for me, the 6 fits into the nooks and crannies of my face perfectly, and it does take noticeably less time to apply foundation.

I like the linear 1 for liner.  I have yet to get the hang of the oval 3, but I'm still working on it.

Re cleaning, I think using a plain microfiber towel would work fine.  I do like the artis cleanser, but I'm sure something similar is out there.

I did see the NM artis brushes, and they do feel sturdier than the elite mirror line, and they are just beautifully crafted.   I do prefer holding the elite mirror though.

my cailyn brush was sent to my work address, and I keep forgetting to bring it home. I have not used it yet.  It seems that the cailyn brush design was tweaked recently (maybe because my of the suit?).  It now has a narrower tip than the brush shown in the lawsuit. The cailyn website says their brush I patent pending, for what that's worth.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you for the review.  I don't regret any purchase now !  Will allow for a learning curve for the small Ovals.  I do agree with you, Artis brushes outperform any brush I own !

Trusted Contributor

I just popped on and read all the responses and reviews on these unique brushes.

Thanks for the input!.

Some ideas on #6 were quite different, maybe b/c we all have diff size faces and fat distribution and used to traditional with brushes so I can see how I may want a number 6 (to try - not buy -yet!) have to see one day in real life! lol

I used my #8 Fluentis foundation brush as I had said before I would try it again and get back with my take on it with it with application of my mineral sunscreen and skincare beneath, and a diff primer.

Well it was was about the same in how it applied, which was smooth but still felt a bit awkward I feel holding the brush due to the handle that I'm not used to. I'm so used to straight handles in all my brushes this takes getting used to I think.

I find I'm holding it high up near it's neck near the brush's head....it feels like it applies better this way...and more stable maybe as well to me lol as it is thinner at the neck (think our hip, the neck of the femur...fragile for some lol) kind of scared it may break. If this did break even in a year I would raise holy heck...it would go back for sure.

I think it's very very nice after application - it looked airbrushed. Still wondering if the head of this brush is too large as well. So will keep this a week and give it a chance - leaning on keeping it since I am worth it Smiley Happy I agree with others about using a different way to clean it as it seems silly using the Artis microfiber pad when it needs refills and it's own brand cleaner when I have many soft short fiber micro cloth's and a gentle cleanser which will do fine. @BlingQueen022 what on earth is a brush cleaning egg? lol sounds odd - I'm so curious Smiley Wink

My son went to Heaven 4/15/2018
I love and miss him so very much. God Bless you my dear Nicky
Trusted Contributor

@mimi5775  I got that brush egg...well the dupe...on Amazon after BlingQueen enabled me LOL. That thing rocks!!!  Fast easy and brushes cleaner than my regular hand washing.

I am not going to get the Artis brush but looks different for sure.  Have you watched the QVC video or any YouTube vids for application tips?  Just a thought and definitely keep it if you are getting the excellent results.  You just know if you send it back you will wish you didn't. LOL. Another thing is don't use it for a week and go back to what you were using before.  You may seal the deal one way or another then.

Trusted Contributor

@Suebdoo wrote:

@mimi5775  I got that brush egg...well the dupe...on Amazon after BlingQueen enabled me LOL. That thing rocks!!!  Fast easy and brushes cleaner than my regular hand washing.

I am not going to get the Artis brush but looks different for sure.  Have you watched the QVC video or any YouTube vids for application tips?  Just a thought and definitely keep it if you are getting the excellent results.  You just know if you send it back you will wish you didn't. LOL. Another thing is don't use it for a week and go back to what you were using before.  You may seal the deal one way or another then.

@Suebdoo lol Blingqueen enabling....seems we all do around here! :0)

I will Google this eggie thingie.

A week..so help me or less and I will see! I won't use it everyday for a weekas I wanna compare to my other brushes...that is my plan. Tarte's being so cheap is great thus far and Hourglass comes in at a 2nd..a few others are eh? so I'll try my low life foundation brushes and then Artis to see which wins out! ha!

Ohhh I have my eye on the NEW $55.00 spankin' new # 3 Marc Jacobs foundation brush which looks divine online at Sephora sort of like Tarte's; head is dense full and well very much like it online...really to be honest the brush has been sitting in my Sephora online basket for days now lol and the reviews are pouring in at 100%..just may cave....this ol' Capricorn is hard to break as far as getting used to something! and the Artis brush well...harder to handle and I'm 1/2 on teh fence about keeping. Yes, may regret it though! this has ocurred to me in the past LOL. Sleep well and take care now! I am outta here zzzzzz

Trusted Contributor

@CoG wrote:

QVC's Atris set of ovals 1,3 and 6 are a major disappointment.  Had I not received NM's Oval 8 first I would think the brushes a collosal waste of money.  The oval 6 is so SMALL in comparison to the NM's  Oval 8 it's hard to believe they're from the same company.  It's barely wide enough for a smooth highlighter application, 1 1/4 inches in greatest diameter.  NM" Oval 8 is 2 3/4 inches broad, so wide there is a learning curve for makeup in fewer swipes/passes. 

Aesthetically, the Q brushes are unsatisfactory.  NM's sleek chrome and black handles are like fine cutlery.  The white oval inserts in QVC's Artis brushes are quaint. like last minute adjustments to keep the cost down.   Functionally , the Q's oval 1 is useless unless you use liner paint or want the goth smudge for your eyes.  The only saving grace, the only reason I didn't immediately put them back in their coated cardboard boxes is that a forum reviewer quoted a $50.00 price tag fot the cleansing pad. Q's set did come with cleanser and pad. 

NM's  Oval 8 is the very best powder brush I have ever used. Period. 

I'll be purchasing an Oval  7 and a round for eye shadow Artis from NM as soon as I get over the shock and the feeling that the Q's been shortchanging the customer on items like this all along,  as soon as the blood pressure approaches normal level.  I'll use the elegant black velvet box the NM Artis comes in to store them all until I find the case (I'm relatively sure there is or will be a storage case for those of us who didn't purchase the $330.00 set  LOL)

I would really like to know how those who bought the "chrome" handle brushes feel about their purchases. 

@CoG ty for the review - so odd the number six made my same company is so different! again I like seeing these things in person to touch and see what I am getting but try not to go into these stores as I will be tempted to go overboard so I have to contain myslef to online for now..."store avoidance behaviour with makeup and skincare"!!!

Respected Contributor

I ordered two Caitlyn O Brushes last week and got them on Monday. They are wonderfully dense and feel awesome! These come with a little head cover and their necks are flexible but just, so no fear of too much pressure snapping them off. Get them while you can if Artis wins their suite!
Trusted Contributor

Thanks, tigriss for the encouraging news.  I thought, just as you did, that I'd better get the Caitlyn before the lawyers snatch them away from us.  I saw the ad while searching for the Artis brushes but only paid attention when the Artis sold out to the very last one. Haven't received mine yet but I am now looking forward to having it.  I don't regret a penny spent.

The flexible hinged arm you describe is intriquing.  Like you, I feel it might be the answer to the breakage-prone neck other reviewers anticipate.  

And, I can't rave enough about Neiman Marcus'  Artis editions.  

The search for the perfect brush is over.  Now , if I could just find the perfect foundation, finishing powder, concealer, shadow...........LOL